Persistent Add-on Won't Die

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
micron9999

Persistent Add-on Won't Die

Post by micron9999 »

If this is not the correct place to post this, please forgive and re-direct me.
I've searched the 'net extensively & I'm not the only one who's plagued by the persistent hijacker known as Firefox Helper2 by Gomita. However, I could not find where anyone solved this by following any of the suggestions. It constantly hijacks my searches and serves up ad websites. I've already removed and reinstalled FF and deleted my profile, but it keeps coming back. I've also searched my registry using clues found in the files add-on's files but found nothing. I added the url listed in the add-on's script file to my Windows host file to no avail. Sincerely hope someone can help me get rid of this for good, otherwise I have to go back to IE. If anyone wants to see the contents of the scripts, maybe I can post them, but was afraid to do so now in case I created a link to some malicious url. Thanks for looking.

Windows 7; FF 45.0.1; Add-ons installed: Bookmarks Menu; Tab Override; Open Bookmarks In New Tab; RedirectCleaner (installed attempting to solve this issue); YouTube Video and Audio Downloader
PS: I just removed YouTube add-on
JayhawksRock

Re: Persistent Add-on Won't Die

Post by JayhawksRock »

Are IE and/or Chrome is also affected
If yes.. then maybe you should be looking in recently installed programs in Windows for the source
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

&....According to his contact/info page, that "Firefox Helper2" is not one of his extensions.
ref; > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/gomita/
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Please register and log in so that this can be moved to the correct forum.
micron9999

Post by micron9999 »

Thanks so much for the responses.
"Please register and log in so that this can be moved to the correct forum." Done. Hope I can find it later, because searching on my topic does not find this one.
"Are IE and/or Chrome is also affected" Don't use Chrome; IE not affected, which is why I might have to go back to it.
"Firefox Helper2" is not one of his extensions." Correct; unless the helper folder reappears under my profile - then it is listed in FF as an add on
DanRaisch: Have Malwarebytes installed already. It does find it but doesn't prevent it from being repeatedly installed. Have Zone alarm too; just thought I might be able to use the IP address of the url I posted to block this with ZA. Will try that next. If no joy, will follow up on your links (hope I can find this thread later if moved). Thanks to all.
tsor

Post by tsor »

According to: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/co ... _the_same/

It's clone of Gamezonenews.net or gangnamgame.org.

Try use this removal in the end of article: http://www.wipersoft.com/gamezonenews-n ... irefox-ie/
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

micron9999 wrote:(hope I can find this thread later if moved). Thanks to all.
Bookmark the page.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

micron9999 wrote:<snip>Hope I can find it later, because searching on my topic does not find this one.<snip>
There is a "View your posts" link near the top of that column over there >>>>>
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
micron9999

Post by micron9999 »

tsor, not sure how you arrived at that - there's no mention there about "Firefox Helper 2". I did follow the removal steps only to find that the offending task was not there. However, that was quite an eye opener. I had no idea TS was used by programs to schedule stuff, and I found a task there that I disabled because it's an updater nag. I also found something that looked suspicious and after research, decided to delete (Mighty Checker). Hope no repercussions, but it's done now. Also, I can report to all that my idea of blocking the url in ZA has helped a lot in that the offending file has not returned and behavior has changed. I still had one episode of unwanted ads blocking my browser view, but from that it seems I had more than one thing going on at the same time. Hopefully, removal of the suspicious task and folder eliminates that too.