Linux Toolbar Bookmarks Sub-Folder Icons Missing?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
sysvr4

Linux Toolbar Bookmarks Sub-Folder Icons Missing?

Post by sysvr4 »

Hello,

I'm running Firefox 45.0.1 on linux. I'm having a problem with Toolbar bookmark subfolders not displaying the folder icon next to them. See image below.

http: www ordernsystems com/firefox.png

Things I've tried:

- Safe mode
- Refreshing FF
- Deleting ~/.mozilla and starting fresh, not importing anything
- A different system user
- Various updates to userChrome.css

The best I've been able to do is to change the icon in the main Toolbar (next to Folder-Test) but nothing I have done has allowed me to display an icon next to subfolder (eg SubFolder-Test).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by trolly on April 3rd, 2016, 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Image deactivated. Causes login request by hoster.
dfoulkes

Re: Linux Toolbar Bookmarks Sub-Folder Icons Missing?

Post by dfoulkes »

If this is a Linux issue then I'm not good for helping you... but one question that I have ... if you get into the Bookmarks Library... are they there then?

Also... when did this start?

You also mention deleting Firefox... but then you also mention userChrome.css ... was that file totally out of the picture when you created a new profile?... or... when you say deleting mozilla... what exactly do you mean?

Have you tried to test with a new test profile... used as-is ... except for creating your test bookmark folders-stuff?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
sysvr4

Post by sysvr4 »

First, thanks for the response! I'll see if I can answer your questions below.

1. No, the folder icons for subfolders also do not show under the Bookmarks menu. They *do* show up under the Sidebar and "Show All Bookmarks" manager

2. I can't say for sure when it started, but I'm 90% sure the subfolder icons were showing up when I originally installed the system a couple months ago. However, I have a clone of the drive that I just checked from early March and the icons did not show then either.

I've considered doing a fresh install of the system on another drive to see if they are there, but I'm not really sure what help that would be. Even if they show up on the new install, I'm not sure how I could discern the difference between that and my current install in order to fix it.

3. Sorry I wasn't clear. I actually tried a number of steps here:

- removal and reinstall of my system's firefox package on arch linux (no chnage)
- removed my user's .mozilla profile completely and started firefox to begin a fresh profile (no change, and adding subfolders doesn't show icons)
- logged in as a new user on the system that had never used firefox before, started it up, and added some bookmarks and folders (also did not show)

I didn't know about Profile Manager, but I don't see it under Tools in my case. I'm also not entirely sure it would help since I've nuked the current profile and started from scratch a few times to no avail.

Thanks again!
dfoulkes wrote:If this is a Linux issue then I'm not good for helping you... but one question that I have ... if you get into the Bookmarks Library... are they there then?

Also... when did this start?

You also mention deleting Firefox... but then you also mention userChrome.css ... was that file totally out of the picture when you created a new profile?... or... when you say deleting mozilla... what exactly do you mean?

Have you tried to test with a new test profile... used as-is ... except for creating your test bookmark folders-stuff?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

As usual, icons in menus depend on the corresponding Gtk setting.

(Fix, though, Ubuntu 14.04)
Open terminal and execute the following

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface menus-have-icons true
Restart Firefox
sysvr4

Post by sysvr4 »

Thank you! I too have suspected gtk at one time or another, but couldn't find a key reference that led me in the right direction.

Apparently the key you referenced was deprecated, and when I ran the gsettings command below I got: "No such key 'menus-have-icons'"

However, googling around a bit with that led to the following solution using lxappearance:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... -in-gnome3

I had to toggle the settings mentioned in the Other tab and restart Firefox and viola, the subfolder icons are back!

Thanks for the help! \:D/

Alice0775 wrote:As usual, icons in menus depend on the corresponding Gtk setting.

(Fix, though, Ubuntu 14.04)
Open terminal and execute the following

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface menus-have-icons true
Restart Firefox