prevent this page from creating additional dialog?

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
Michael REMY

prevent this page from creating additional dialog?

Post by Michael REMY »

hi,

the option "prevent this page from creating additional dialogs" is not permanent, neither an option, not saved at all. it only works for the current session (maybe the current tab).

it seems forgetten once you start a new seamonkey session/instance.

there is not a permanent option to block this alert from an entire domain name like the popup block option ? it would be so much userfull and would increase the user experience.

best regards
therube

Re: prevent this page from creating additional dialog?

Post by therube »

prevent this page from creating additional dialogs
URL where this occurs?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

therube wrote:
prevent this page from creating additional dialogs
URL where this occurs?
here a none-dangerous one to test :
http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/tryit.as ... sref_alert

just hit the tryit button

at the second time you have the checkbox to enable to not see it anymore.

but once you close the tab orthe broswer and go back again, the dialog comeback ! the checkbox is not saved-memorized at all.
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

I am pretty sure that is by design, and not a bug.

There is, certainly, an argument to be made that a permanent dialog block should be offered.
But I would tend towards heavier-handed approaches to malicious sites, and opt for either completely disabling javascript or blacklisting all content from the entire domain.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

like we have a feature to block a image from all whole domain, even an popup then i would dream a feature to block a alertbox from whole domain too !

at least, it could be just an improve off the block-popup feature. If we block o popup, we should block an alert too, it is normal isn't it ?
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

Michael REMY wrote:like we have a feature to block a image from all whole domain, even an popup then i would dream a feature to block a alertbox from whole domain too !

at least, it could be just an improve off the block-popup feature. If we block o popup, we should block an alert too, it is normal isn't it ?
Remember when I said I preferred heavier-handed approaches? It seems to me blocking all images from a domain is a lot like blocking all javascript from a domain. Same with popup blockers. They don't modify behavior of undesired elements, they kill them dead.

And this is something worse than a simple image. Javascript is actual code, capable of myriad and sundry behaviors limited only by the coder's imagination. Don't let a malicious program run in the background, banished from your sight. Stop the malicious program from running entirely. Kill it dead.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

QUite frankly, I would like to get rid of it, or at least to get rid of it for selected domains. One of the problems I have is with webmail (when I use it): clicking on too many links to see the calendar or messages often bring on this message.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)