Can't send/receive Gmail. Other accts ok.[SOLVED]

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
plonkplonk

Can't send/receive Gmail. Other accts ok.[SOLVED]

Post by plonkplonk »

When I try to get my Gmail in TB, I get the following message:

"Sending of password for user xxxx@gmail.com did not succeed. Mail server pop.googlemail.com responded: Web login required: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78754"

I can't send or receive any Gmail. I access 2 other non-gmail accts with TB and they work fine.

This started this morning. I can access Gmail via a browser fine. Ditto my smartphone and iPad. Have reset my Gmail password to no avail. I'm using TB 38.7.2.

Can anyone help?
tanstaafl

Re: Can't send or receive Gmail. Other accts ok.

Post by tanstaafl »

Google deliberately prevents users from logging in using "normal password" as the authentication method if their Gmail account is less than 90 days old, as part of their attempt to make more email clients adopt OAuth2. You didn't do anything wrong, they just finally got around to paying attention to your settings.

Either select OAuth2 as the authentication method for the account or select "allow less secure apps access to your account" using http://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps if you want to keep using "normal password". See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gmail for more information. Note: that KB article needs to be updated to reflect Thunderbird now supporting OAuth2.
plonkplonk

Post by plonkplonk »

Thanks! I changed to 0Auth2 for my SMTP server and I can now send outgoing mail.

However, 0Auth2 is not listed as choice for my incoming server settings. I'm using POP. What should I do?

Thanks again for your help.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Select OAuth2 as the authentication method in the POP account's server settings.
plonkplonk

Post by plonkplonk »

0Auth2 is not among the available choices. I only have encrypted password, TLS, Kerberos and NTLM. No 0Auth2.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I have normal password, encrypted password, kereberos/gssapi, ntlm, tls certificate and OAuth2 as authentication methods available for my Gmail IMAP accounts. You could enable use less secure apps per my first post if you can't figure out why you have less choices.

Are you using a free Gmail account, a Gmail account provided by your ISP, or "Gmail for business"?
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

@plonkplonk

You need to have the following settings:

– Security of connection: SSL/TLS
– Authentication method: OAuth2

If the Security of connection (translated from French) is not set to ssl/tls, then you won't see the "OAuth2" choice.

Note: I'm aware that these settings are available for a (new) IMAP connection. Not sure about POP.

Finally, if you configure a NEW account, I notice that the OAuth2 authentication method only appears if you have selected an address@gmail.com. If you have a Google at work account (i.e. some corporate address hosted on a Gmail server, then insert the server names as provided by the account and then the OAuth2 option will appear.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
plonkplonk

Post by plonkplonk »

tanstaafl wrote:I have normal password, encrypted password, kereberos/gssapi, ntlm, tls certificate and OAuth2 as authentication methods available for my Gmail IMAP accounts. You could enable use less secure apps per my first post if you can't figure out why you have less choices.

Are you using a free Gmail account, a Gmail account provided by your ISP, or "Gmail for business"?
It sounds like POP pulldown menu does not have the 0Auth2 choice.

Using free Gmail...

Btw, "less secure apps" has been my default choice ever since it was available and I'm still can't retrieve my email...
plonkplonk

Post by plonkplonk »

mgagnonlv wrote:@plonkplonk

You need to have the following settings:

– Security of connection: SSL/TLS
– Authentication method: OAuth2

If the Security of connection (translated from French) is not set to ssl/tls, then you won't see the "OAuth2" choice.

Note: I'm aware that these settings are available for a (new) IMAP connection. Not sure about POP.
Seems like POP is different...

Thanks for the suggestions tho.
plonkplonk

Post by plonkplonk »

Any other suggestions?
plonkplonk

Post by plonkplonk »

Problem resolved. I just updated to 45.0 and Gmail works perfectly now.
plonkplonk

Post by plonkplonk »

Anyone know how to change the title of my post? Would be nice to tell everyone it's be resolved...
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You should be able to edit it by clicking on the [Edit] button in the upper right corner of the first post in this thread. However, I'll do that for you.
plonkplonk

Re: Can't send/receive Gmail. Other accts ok.[SOLVED]

Post by plonkplonk »

TY.