Dell Vs Intel video chipset drivers

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
TheVisitor

Dell Vs Intel video chipset drivers

Post by TheVisitor »

I got a new Dell inspiron 3650 a few weeks ago runing windows 10, Intel HD 530 chipset video.

When I look at the video drivers in the Device Manager for the video chip it says the driver version is 20.19.15.4331
I checked for an update a few days ago and I was pushed (I assume from Dell) version: 20.19.15.4390

Since then I've been getting intermittent graphics glitches with black boxes and corruption in the tabs bar. Not sure if its fault of the driver or something in Nightly builds.
I'm running win32 m-c tinderbox/hourly builds.

Looking on the Intel site for drivers for the HD 530 Chipset I find that the driver numbers do not match what Dell is pushing.

intel's latest driver is version: 15.40.22.4424

So the question ? Why does Intel show 15.xx versions and Dell is showing 20.xx

Does Dell modify the drivers or something ? Will Intel drivers work ?
Grumpus

Re: Dell Vs Intel video chipset drivers

Post by Grumpus »

Found this list of graphics issues and a mention in another search it could be Bios version related. There does appear to be a 20.xx.xx.xx series driver but it might not be offered due to the date or version of your Bios which was probably detected. It might also be the 20 series is for a different chipset and it's an error.
All this is just a guess.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Grumpus wrote:Found this list of graphics issues and a mention in another search it could be Bios version related. There does appear to be a 20.xx.xx.xx series driver but it might not be offered due to the date or version of your Bios which was probably detected. It might also be the 20 series is for a different chipset and it's an error.
All this is just a guess.

Thanks, I'll take a look-see...
HDGMA

Post by HDGMA »

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... duct=88345

Intel's driver version is 20.19.15.4424 for Skylake. Don't ask me why it's called 15.40.22.4424 on their website, but if you check Device Manager, it will show 20.19.15.4424.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

HDGMA wrote:https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... duct=88345

Intel's driver version is 20.19.15.4424 for Skylake. Don't ask me why it's called 15.40.22.4424 on their website, but if you check Device Manager, it will show 20.19.15.4424.
Thanks, that is somewhat interesting and very confusing... ](*,)
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

I'm still trying to find an update for this system, I keep getting crashes on the graphics driver. See it mostly in IE, but still... its pointing to the driver.

When I try to install 4424 drivers I get an error that the driver is verified for this computer due to manufacturer modified drivers, in this case Dell.

Anyone with familiarity with Dell have any idea what they are doing/changing ? I'm about ready to just uninstall their driver and go strictly with Intel drivers.
Your computer manufacturer customizes the drivers that run Intel® components on your machine. You might lose functions and cause other technical issues by installing the Intel® drivers.
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

TheVisitor wrote:Anyone with familiarity with Dell have any idea what they are doing/changing ? I'm about ready to just uninstall their driver and go strictly with Intel drivers.
It's not just Dell, many computer makers use "customized" graphics drivers. It may not be possible to delete the Dell-versioned drivers and use something directly from Intel, because there may be mods which are recorded into the chipsets themselves. Upon detecting those, the Intel drivers will refuse to install. Such was the case with my HP/Intel graphics hardware. You can get an idea of at least some of the
mods by examining the differences between the .inf files of the two different driver packages. Although it also seemed to me when I did that, that some of the differences had been deliberately
obfuscated.
HDGMA

Post by HDGMA »

TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Thanks, upgraded overriding the Dell driver and all seems OK, in fact it may be smoother rendering, time will tell.
HDGMA

Post by HDGMA »

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... 8-1-15-40-

Intel 20.19.15.4501 driver released.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@The Visitor - This system uses the Intel graphics drivers which are on-board the processor and I have no complaints.
There doesn't seem to be any of the usual display issues and updates have been available and transitioned nicely.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Grumpus wrote:@The Visitor - This system uses the Intel graphics drivers which are on-board the processor and I have no complaints.
There doesn't seem to be any of the usual display issues and updates have been available and transitioned nicely.
Thanks, as noted above I have been running Intel 20.19.15.4463 driver released after forcing it to install over the Dell drivers, which Dell has yet to update on their site, and I've not had a single bit of corruption or system freeze. Running now 30 days straight with no re-boots or hiccups.
HDGMA

Post by HDGMA »

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26404

Intel 21.20.16.4542 driver for Kaby Lake & Skylake released.