Need To Find Where The Deskop Background BMP Is Stored.

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Starkman

Need To Find Where The Deskop Background BMP Is Stored.

Post by Starkman »

Hey all,

I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 and all went flawlessly.

In Win 7, I had an image set as the Desktop background, which transferred, as well, over to Win 10; however, a search for the image file (a .bmp image, the name I do know) is found only in a backup folder I have and nowhere else on the system. I'm assuming Firefox has renamed it to something like Background.bmp or similar, but I've found nothing.

I've looked into various paths given as the placeholder (such as C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox, etc., but there's nothing here but a Profiles and Crash Report folders. Where in the world would the Desktop image be???

Note: yes, I have all hidden files set to show.

Thanks.
TheVisitor

Re: Need To Find Where The Deskop Background BMP Is Stored.

Post by TheVisitor »

Settings->Personalization -> Background ? That seems to be where I have a few pics I use for 'backgound', plus what appears to the default stuff that comes with Win10

EDIT: Guess that does not help much, I'm not having any luck finding the 'built-in' images/colors either....Not been using '10' all that long yet, still learning.
Last edited by TheVisitor on May 19th, 2016, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to MozillaZine Tech as this is not a Firefox question.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

A quick 'Google' search found where they are hiding: C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/windows-wa ... -location/ <-Article
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

You could also do an unlimited system search for .bmp or *.bmp (or any other image suffix), toggle the file tree heading to show files sorted for folder and not alphabetical or by date.
It helps to see if there are other images you might want to use or remove if unnecessary.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Starkman

Post by Starkman »

Hey all,
TheVisitor wrote:Settings->Personalization -> Background ?
Yeah, it doesn't work; merely shows you the pics there but doesn't tell you where they are located or how Windows is accessing them.
TheVisitor wrote:A quick 'Google' search found where they are hiding: C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper
Nope! Once again, it doesn't tell you where your personal images are that Windows accesses to create the Desktop background.
Grumpus wrote:You could also do an unlimited system search for .bmp or *.bmp
Yeah, I tried that. It found my .bmp, but that didn't help; I already knew it was. I just can't figure out how Windows...

Wait! I think I just found out what's going on. Apparently, Win 10 can only track one image for the Desktop background, so it doesn't care where any of your personal images used to be (which is different than the way Win 7 handles this).

I think all you have to do is right-click any image and set it to the background.

Alright, thanks much.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

If you right click on an empty area on the desktop does a panel show up and provide a list of items, one of which would be to change the desktop background or something similar.
. . . and does it provide a file tree search panel which allows you to zone in on the image?
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Starkman

Post by Starkman »

Grumpus wrote:If you right click on an empty area on the desktop does a panel show up and provide a list of items, one of which would be to change the desktop background or something similar.
If you right-click the Desktop, there's no panel that shows up. You have to click Personalize to get to the option area to choose your Desktop background.
Grumpus wrote:. . . and does it provide a file tree search panel which allows you to zone in on the image?
No. Apparently, Windows 10 does not require that background images be stored in any particular folder as Windows 7 does. One just needs to right-click an image and choose to set it as the background. So, when you right-click the Desktop in Windows 10 and choose Personalize, you can see the image you currently have set as the background as well as other image choices. Further, clicking the Browse button takes you to My Computer > Pictures, which as in my case, may not have a single image in any of the folders in this area. Additionally, there's no way to discern either the name or location of any images listed. This is, again, because Win 10 isn't interested in preserving names and locations; it's only interested one image only: the one you choose for your background. If you don't like your current background, then you can change it, but not by having to place an image in a certain folder, as you had to do with Win 7.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

It's been the way I mentioned in some Linux distributions for years and I would have thought MS would have some kind of file tree with column headers including path.
I seem to remember something like that existing in Windows and a method to set it up but its been about ten years since I used Windows or had it in a system.
It was thought triggered by dust mites in the brain. ;)
Starkman

Post by Starkman »

Grumpus wrote:It's been the way I mentioned in some Linux distributions for years and I would have thought MS would have some kind of file tree with column headers including path.
I seem to remember something like that existing in Windows and a method to set it up but its been about ten years since I used Windows or had it in a system.
It was thought triggered by dust mites in the brain. ;)
Ha! What is worse in Win 7 is that when Win 7 sets an image as a Desktop background, it changes the name of that image, if I remember correctly, causing all kinds of "Oh my heavens, where's my image???" Yeah, it changes it to something like "background.bmp" or something like that. Boy, that really threw me back when!