Search bookmarked *pages*

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
purplefox

Search bookmarked *pages*

Post by purplefox »

Haven't been a big user of bookmarks until recently. But what I'm finding is that when the need for information on a topic comes up, I have two options: (1) navigate through my bookmarks to try to find the page that has the info I'm looking for or (2) use google and search, hoping to find a page. I tend to lean towards (2) but (2) searches the entire internet (overkill) when I just want to search pages I've visited before and found helpful enough to bookmark.

An awesome FF feature would be to search just the pages I've booked marked (or a subset of them). I know the information I'm thinking about is is likely in a bookmarked page somewhere. Technically, I wonder if FF could keep a cache of all these pages and the search them on the user's machine? I realize that could create problems if people want to delete their caches. But the feature would be extremely helpful.

Anyone hear of something like this??
the-edmeister

Re: Search bookmarked *pages*

Post by the-edmeister »

There's a Search field in the Bookmarks Sidebar.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

the-edmeister wrote: Bookmarks Sidebar.
Ctrl B to open it
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
purplefox

Post by purplefox »

The Bookmarks Sidebar isn't exactly the feature I'm describing. It searches FF bookmark metadata. I'm asking about a feature that searches the HTML pages the bookmarks link to.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Sounds good, but that is going pretty deep in what a browser is supposed to do... and as an example... say you have a bookmark-link... it has to open up that link (page) and search it... but what if there are links within that first page that actually contain the search-target info... is it supposed to also search links within that first page? ... and then what do you do with the output?

... it sounds like it is doable in some respects... but is seems to me that an external search-tool-app that say... where a user creates an in-file to feed this unknown tool/app... that that app uses those links (in this case... all the links of your bookmarks) ...to search for a given piece of text... then it would output what if finds to another out-file... all of this could be pretty complicated to code and to deal with the results... I'm sure that the FBI, NSA and ??? have tools like that... maybe? ... but I've not heard of one... have you done a general internet search for something like that? ... I did.. and could not find anything... at least with the search-params that I used...

Maybe somebody a lot smarter that I will have an answer.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
purplefox

Post by purplefox »

The idea is to just search the bookmarked pages; not the bookmarked sites.
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

purplefox wrote:The idea is to just search the bookmarked pages; not the bookmarked sites.
Not feasible. The content you see on your screen has no necessary direct relationship with the page you have bookmarked. What you see is possibly the result of numerous additional web requests and/or
javascript executions that can only be recreated by re-rendering the original html page.

You could somehow extract the text content from a rendered webpage, and save it to some local "WebData" folder, then set your OS search facility to index that folder. There are likely already
FF extensions that do the text extraction.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

purplefox wrote:The idea is to just search the bookmarked pages; not the bookmarked sites.
This issue here is that the standard bookmarking done by a browser saves the link and title of that page... not the pages in that page.....

So... I don't know how many bookmarks you're talking about... if you have 20 that you want to do this with ... then OK... if you have a thousand.. then good luck with that..

I use the first extension listed in this link... others seem to pretty much work the same AFAIK... anyway, I've saved about 50 special pages with it... works fine ... and you can search with it and it puts the output into a new tab....

scrapb :: Search :: Add-ons for Firefox

That is all that I have for you... and just to let you know... in future requests/issues... more step by step descriptions would work better.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!