Bookmarks strategies and advice from longtime FF users

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
68xgEnMike

Bookmarks strategies and advice from longtime FF users

Post by 68xgEnMike »

Bookmarks strategies and advice from longtime FF users - how much is too much?

I wonder if anyone ever raised this question? After all, it should be of no concern, specially since I have not experienced any issues that would trouble any of my FF or Seamonkey browsers.

Nevertheless, my bookmarks dates since 1993. and while comparing the size with friends, nobody seems to be close in size. At the moment, when I (for sake of this post) export my bookmarks it show no less then 20 megs, well, 21 MB to be exact. I tend to, both at work and home, make so many "precise links" that are then placed in folders by the present year, so that I can find my way quick and easy.

Omit my general bookmarks, as we all have them, all combined, I’m starting to think that my browser "strategy" is little on the fat side. Some people user desktop folders for temporary bookmarks and in such way they reduce the size. Just for sake of curiosity, some of you that also have many bookmarks, or dare I say bookmark hamsters among us ;)

Is there any intelligent, elegant and perhaps, external application, that works very intimately with Firefox? I know there are many bookmark managers and such, but now that your have read my thoughts, could someone kindly recommend me such manager/program?

Also, I’m sure FF developers or those who dedicate great extensions for our beloved Firefox read this forum; is there any healthy recommendation, how much bookmarks - is too much?

Obviously, in relation of (possible) slowing of FF.

Thanks for your attention

the-edmeister

Re: Bookmarks strategies and advice from longtime FF users

Post by the-edmeister »

68xgEnMike wrote:.

Bookmarks strategies and advice from longtime FF users - how much is too much? ...

Nevertheless, my bookmarks dates since 1993. and while comparing the size with friends, nobody seems to be close in size. At the moment, when I (for sake of this post) export my bookmarks it show no less then 20 megs, well, 21 MB to be exact. I tend to, both at work and home, make so many "precise links" that are then placed in folders by the present year, so that I can find my way quick and easy.

I know there are many bookmark managers and such, but now that your have read my thoughts, could someone kindly recommend me such manager/program?
I assume that you are talking about the <!DOCTYPE NETSCAPE-Bookmark-file-1> bookmarks.html format.

Other than for Import and Export between the various browsers out there, bookmarks.html format is a legacy format.
Firefox & SeaMonkey hasn't used that format for storing / accessing bookmarks wince like 2007-2008. places.sqlite has been used since then. IE, Safari, Chrome, Opera an others never used bookmarks.html format for other than Import / Export too / from Gecko-based browsers like Netscape, Firefox, and SeaMonkey.

From what I have seen over the last 7 or 8 years, there have been no new external programs that dealt with bookmarks.html format. And those that were made before then haven't been updated since like 2004 to 2005 - the "format" hasn't been changed or updated since Netscape came up with that "interchange" format in 1994 -1995; other than the Firefox developers appending that format in Firefox 0.9 (in 2004) to include storage of Favicon data. And that Favicon data can easily make the file size 20 to 30 times as large as the original (basic) bookmarks.html file depending upon how many bookmarks have the Favicon data saved; that could be why your friends don't have files that large.

Overall - seat of the pants - 20Mb is huge file size for boomarks.html format. In Firefox places.sqilte format (which also contains browsing & download history) about an average file size, where 10Mb is the base file size for a fresh file with a handful of bookmarks.

As far as Firefox extensions for bookmarks - nothing for the bookmarks.html fomat. They are all geared around the places.sqlite format which few browsers use beyond the Gecko-based web browsers that are based on Firefox.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
therube

Post by therube »

To each his own.
If it works for you...
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

68xgEnMike wrote:.
Nevertheless, my bookmarks dates since 1993. and while comparing the size with friends, nobody seems to be close in size.

Is there any intelligent, elegant and perhaps, external application, that works very intimately with Firefox?
Your large file makes FF start up more slowly. And would you say you can always find the bookmark you want? Would it be easier if you had fewer?

Mine, only 1,685, go way back, maybe 15 years, and my bookmarks.html file is only 1.6 MB. (I save the html as a backup file.) Every now and then I remove some relating to things that no longer interest me, or containing obsolete information, besides running Bookmark Checker to remove dead ones.

My own not-external-application technique is that I drag-and-drop all my bookmarks into folders and subfolders and sub-sub-folders, and generally rename most of them to something logical if the FF name isn't specific enough.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Just my 2 cents in here about the qty. of bookmarks...

I 'only' have a little over 800 bookmarks, a large number of those are for 'static' data... stuff that does not change over time... you know... fishing reel schematics etc...

I have general type bookmarks for some stuff that may change their page-data over time but at least I have the general source of what I want.

I have a number of bookmarks in folders and indiv. on my bookmarks bar... those bookmarks 'can' be used daily, weekly or monthly...

I'm sure that I have some junk in here that needs cleaning but I'm too lazy to find them :-"

But my basic thoughts on bookmarks are...
- Keep bookmarks for highly used stuff
- Keep bookmarks for 'static' data sites
- Keep some bookmarks for just memory triggering (if you know what I mean)
- All other needed data can be acquired via a search of the internet... stuff changes too fast out there to be bookmarking lots of stuff.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

This thread is virtually dead.

Why not let it RIP since the OP disappeared almost two months ago.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

You're correct, Ed.
Might just lock it to stop any un-necessary spam.
The OP can always start a new one or ask for this to be re-opened.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)