Import addresses

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
joody

Import addresses

Post by joody »

I have just installed Thunderbird - how do I import my addresses from Outlook.com?

Is ii possible to export my emails from Thunderbird back to Outlook.com?
tanstaafl

Re: Import addresses

Post by tanstaafl »

I think outlook.com lets you export addresses as a .csv file. You can import them into Thunderbird using tools -> import -> addressbooks -> text file. You may need to open the file using a spreadsheet and re-align the columns first to match what Thunderbird's address book uses.

The simplest way to "export" messages back to outlook.com is to create a IMAP account for it in Thunderbird and then copy/move the messages to folders in that account. IMAP accounts are very different from POP accounts, you can copy/move messages and folders between local folders (POP account and the "Local Folders" pseudo account) and remote folders stored on the IMAP server. That lets you upload (not send or forward) messages to the IMAP server, where they will be shared with webmail.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Getting_start ... hunderbird
http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP
joody

Post by joody »

I did try and open another account in Outlook com, but it automatically opened in mapi not imap.

Not sure what you mean re-align the columns first to match what Thunderbirds address book uses. I have split the names and addresses, but once I highlight the names its asking me to add each one separately.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Why do you believe you created a MAPI account in Thunderbird for outlook.com?
What does tools -> account settings -> outlook -> server settings says the server type is?

Thunderbird does not support ExtendedMAPI (used to make native calls to the Microsoft Exchange server) . See http://kb.mozillazine.org/MAPI_Support .
joody

Post by joody »

Because I went into Account settings then server settings and it said IMAP MAIL SERVER (imap-mail.outlook.com)

If that is incorrect, ould you please tell me what to do?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You've stated that "but it automatically opened in mapi not imap." You then stated that " I went into Account settings then server settings and it said IMAP MAIL SERVER (imap-mail.outlook.com)" That means that the account you are working with in Thunderbird is set up as a IMAP type account.
joody

Post by joody »

DanRaisch wrote:You've stated that "but it automatically opened in mapi not imap." You then stated that " I went into Account settings then server settings and it said IMAP MAIL SERVER (imap-mail.outlook.com)" That means that the account you are working with in Thunderbird is set up as a IMAP type account.
I know. I verified it - as you asked me to do.

Just asking again ....
joody wrote:
Not sure what you mean re-align the columns first to match what Thunderbirds address book uses. I have split the names and addresses, but once I highlight the names its asking me to add each one separately. Surely there is an easier way?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Its not clear to me why you are splitting the names and addresses, and how you are doing that.

The import wizard appears to ignore fields that Thunderbird doesn't support, and lets you re-arrange the mapping of fields that it supports. If that doesn't work well I suggest you manually create one contact in an address book, export it as a .csv file using tools -> export, and compare its columns with the .csv file from outlook.com. Then edit the outlook.com .csv file as needed using a spreadsheet, and import it.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I added two contacts to outlook.com, exported them, and imported the .csv file using tools -> import in Thunderbird. It took a few minutes to remap the address book fields so that they made sense, and to uncheck some fields. It seemed to work okay, no need to use a spreadsheet.
joody

Post by joody »

tanstaafl wrote:Its not clear to me why you are splitting the names and addresses, and how you are doing that.

The import wizard appears to ignore fields that Thunderbird doesn't support, and lets you re-arrange the mapping of fields that it supports. If that doesn't work well I suggest you manually create one contact in an address book, export it as a .csv file using tools -> export, and compare its columns with the .csv file from outlook.com. Then edit the outlook.com .csv file as needed using a spreadsheet, and import it.
I just tried to do what you suggested. I now have a .csv file in outlook.com and I do have the spreadsheet, but it all too hard. Sorry, I will just have to battle on.

Thanks for your help.