[EXT] XMLTV Guide and Search

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
keithy397

Re: [EXT] XMLTV Guide and Search

Post by keithy397 »

Hi Guys,

I just noticed that when selecting faves, if you do not attribute a Series No. to the program you can search all airings of that prog, but if you do attribute a Series No., there is nothing in the search function for that particular prog. Why is this?
Cheers,
Keith
Benjamin Markson

Post by Benjamin Markson »

keithy397 wrote:...but if you do attribute a Series No., there is nothing in the search function for that particular prog. Why is this?
I know I did a bit of a flip-flop on the Series and Episode numbers but I'm not seeing what you describe.

Take The Big Bang Theory - a good example as it always has so many different series airing. If I 'Favourite' Series 9, selecting the Attribute: Favourite ♥ properly only includes The Big Bang Theory for Series 9 in the search results.

It seems to be working for me unless I've misunderstood your question.

Ben.
XUL is dead. Long live the Google Chrome Clones.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

What I'm finding Ben, is when I add a fave and no series number, when I search for progs with the fave attribute selected and series number left blank, they are all found. But when I add a fave with a series number then do a search, nothing is found???

Hope that means something to you!!
Cheers,
Keith
Benjamin Markson

Are you using an XMLTV file that includes a series number? For example, the Microsoft legacy one has no series numbers, whereas the Schedules Direct one does.

If your data doesn't include series numbers then assigning one to a Favourite will never find any matches. In that case you can only usefully use a Favourite with no series number.

Ben.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Ah! I understand. I'm not using Schedules Direct.....
Cheers,
Keith
colin1951uk

Post by colin1951uk »

Ben,

When searching for Films I notice the classification shows up in the Episode column and the release year in the Series column and it just looks a bit odd.

I can't remember if it happened in the Metabroadcast plug-in and can't check it now for obvious reasons but is this just a quirk or is something not quite right with the output?

Cheers...Colin
Benjamin Markson

colin1951uk wrote:When searching for Films I notice the classification shows up in the Episode column and the release year in the Series column and it just looks a bit odd.

I can't remember if it happened in the Metabroadcast plug-in and can't check it now for obvious reasons but is this just a quirk or is something not quite right with the output?
It's been that way from the very begining. :)

Yes, I know I'm playing fast and loose with the column headings but I think seeing the Year and Certificate is useful and that the meaning is reasonably obvious. Also, as a Film cannot have a Series or Episode the space would otherwise be wasted.

Ben.
Yoss1960

Post by Yoss1960 »

Also, as a Film cannot have a Series or Episode the space would otherwise be wasted.
There are always exceptions

Star Wars: Episode IV, A New Hope
Star Wars: Episode V, The Empire Strikes Back
etc, etc.

:D
Regards,
¥ø$$1960
"The blindingly obvious is never immediately apparent"
colin1951uk

Post by colin1951uk »

I don't know about you guys but for Channel 5 and Channel 5+24 I've been getting 48hrs data only from my last three daily Schedules Direct grabs.

That's from trying any of the Sky lineups and my local Meridian Freeview lineup.

True Crime (not that I watch it) has been all over the place this week to.

I keep posting 'tickets' about these in my SD account but nobody seems to take any notice of the problems ](*,)

So far I'm not very impressed with SD'S quality of data. I think I was spoiled by the Radio Times feed!

And now we're out of Europe....long live the PP9 battery! =D>

Cheers...Colin
Benjamin Markson

colin1951uk wrote:I don't know about you guys but for Channel 5 and Channel 5+24 I've been getting 48hrs data only from my last three daily Schedules Direct grabs.
:
So far I'm not very impressed with SD'S quality of data. I think I was spoiled by the Radio Times feed!
I can only agree with your observations - C5 is now completely TBA.

Incidently, what rkulagow describes as 'our upstream' is, I believe, an outfit called Gracenote - their web site looks very... corporate, however, there is a support form Gracenote Customer Care Team. I can't find any online UK TV listings based on Gracenote to see if the problem is more widespread than SD - I think that Gracnote are behind some of the 'Smart' TV listings.

None of my TV's are smart. :mrgreen:

Using a Source of All you could create a Group that includes all of your SD channels plus just C5 from the Microsoft feed. This will bring back C5 albeit without any of the fields only populated in SD. Still not great.

Ben.
colin1951uk

Post by colin1951uk »

Benjamin Markson wrote:Using a Source of All you could create a Group that includes all of your SD channels plus just C5 from the Microsoft feed.
Good idea Ben but after trying all the Microsoft options I can't find one that has Channel 5. Some have Channel 5+1 and Channel 5+24 and that's it'

I've just downloaded Digiguide on a seven day trial, they've got Channel 5 so I can use that until Schedules Direct sorts itself out :mrgreen: I hate the look of Digiguide but they're data looks good and they even have Talking Pictures TV which for me is heaven.

I don't know if Lugalow works on weekends but I think I'll try another blast as losing a whole channel until who knows when isn't what you expect when you pay for something.

Cheers...Colin
Benjamin Markson

colin1951uk wrote:Good idea Ben but after trying all the Microsoft options I can't find one that has Channel 5. Some have Channel 5+1 and Channel 5+24 and that's it'
Try the Freeview Oxford (TER) transmitter at postcode OX3 9ST.

For me, it just appears as 'Five'. I have no idea why the channel names have to be so strange - thank goodness for aliases. ;)

Ben.
colin1951uk

Post by colin1951uk »

Benjamin Markson wrote:Try the Freeview Oxford (TER) transmitter at postcode OX3 9ST.
Thanks Ben, that works out fine.

It's interesting to me that the Microsoft data seems to have channel names (not the id's just the names) exactly the same as SD's data and that makes me wonder if this Gracenote outfit is the so called upstream for both.

It doesn't explain why one has a broken feed and the other doesn't but such little things in detail like this do catch my eye.

Anyway at least I've got a working feed and full schedules now so Digiguide can stay closed as the gui of that thing really is awful.

Cheers...Colin
Benjamin Markson

colin1951uk wrote:It's interesting to me that the Microsoft data seems to have channel names (not the id's just the names) exactly the same as SD's data and that makes me wonder if this Gracenote outfit is the so called upstream for both.
I believe Microsoft use an outfit called Rovi.

Ben.
Benjamin Markson

A heads up.

The mc2xml exe has been updated. It now (sometimes) includes a total episodes value in the SD data. Annoyingly, the version number hasn't changed - it still reports as v1.6.0.0 - and I can't find any release notes.

My source is MediaPortal post #23.

I have no idea how we are supposed to know when the exe gets updated!

Having said this, I have had to release v1.0.7 of the add-on. Confusingly, the Series and Episode start on zero but the total episodes is an absolute value - v1.0.6 is showing the total episodes as one too many.

Ben.