SeaMonkey and the Addon Manager

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Philip Chee

SeaMonkey and the Addon Manager

Post by Philip Chee »

Lemon Juice wrote:I was wondering what was the whole fuss about the add-ons manager because I didn't notice anything out of style - apart from missing version numbers, of course. And it turns out the reason is I am using Classic Firefox theme for SeaMonkey, which effectively keeps nice and consistent look of the AOM - at least on Windows 10 it looks elegant. It was only when I changed to the default theme that I saw the weird look. So if a theme can get rid of the ugliness then perhaps it's just a matter of adjusting the default theme?
At the moment I am experimenting with some CSS I extracted from the Classicish Add-on Manager. I'll probably look at the Addons CSS in the "Classic Firefox theme for SeaMonkey" as well since you brought this to my attention. Do you have a screenshot of how the Addons Manager looks like with that extension? With styling from the Chameleon Project landing all Add-on Manager themes appear to be broken partially.

Phil
Philip Chee

Re: SeaMonkey and the Addon Manager

Post by Philip Chee »

Frank Lion wrote:Well, there's a very good reason not to - me no mindreader. How do I know what SM devs want/don't want?
You could of course have asked us....
Frank Lion wrote:Yeah, I see the default theme looking pretty rough round the edges and the 'modern' theme in a very serious need of cleaning up and bringing up to date. But, the real point is, how do I know that the devs and users don't want those looking exactly as they do?
The answer is no we don't really want those rough edges and the Modern theme certainly needs a lot of updating. Help and patches welcome!

Phil
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I have been using Early Blue and LCARSTrek themes as gold standards to patch other themes, and they work pretty well. You could take a look at Early Blue. It works well, and it is only for SeaMonkey whereas LCARSTrek is for SeaMonkey and Firefox. The scrollbar.css file in both has a problematic piece of code in it, so I do not use that one as a standard.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Philip Chee wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:Well, there's a very good reason not to - me no mindreader. How do I know what SM devs want/don't want?
You could of course have asked us....
Frank Lion wrote:Yeah, I see the default theme looking pretty rough round the edges and the 'modern' theme in a very serious need of cleaning up and bringing up to date. But, the real point is, how do I know that the devs and users don't want those looking exactly as they do?
The answer is no we don't really want those rough edges and the Modern theme certainly needs a lot of updating. Help and patches welcome!

Phil
I finished the new Modern theme a month or two back. It's also not dependant on any possible Mozilla decision to end the use of Complete Themes either.

Just let me know who to contact and I'll get in touch and send it over.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
frg

Post by frg »

Is this an 1:1 replacement? Best would be to open a bug on bugzilla for it and create a patch against current comm-central.

FRG
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote:Is this an 1:1 replacement?
Yep.

Best way, different people working on small different bits of a UI doesn't lend itself to a final coherent and harmonious look.
frg wrote:Best would be to open a bug on bugzilla for it and create a patch against current comm-central.
Not best for me, as I don't work like that. I write themes and my 3 betatesters tell me what needs fixing or is not looking right, that's it. I don't read bugs, let alone open them or 'create patches', whatever that is. I only ever get involved in what is essential to get the job done and nothing more.

I suppose if someone filed a bug for me (like Beltzner did for me, back in the day), then I could upload it and I could be fine tune to requirements from there.

Btw, not that it matters, but this theme (Future Modern) also works with T/bird, inc. latest versions.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

Is there somewhere I can download the theme? I bet I could create a patch.

Of course, to be included in SM it would need to be made available under the same license.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

libertyernie wrote:Is there somewhere I can download the theme? I bet I could create a patch.
Turns out that it seems that a bug was already filed - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=526210

Look how old it is! It's only redesigning an old theme, not repainting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Despite what people claim though, I'm not even sure that there is a burning need/demand for this.
libertyernie wrote:Of course, to be included in SM it would need to be made available under the same license.
Yep, I've only been making themes since 2006, but even I managed to pick that much up about how Open Source projects work. :wink:
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Just to finish off on this one...this is what the Modern theme looks like (with the SeaFox extension which gives extra buttons, etc) -

http://franklion.co.uk/GEN-LINKS/Sn0811.png

...and here is an early version of 'ML Future Modern' - http://franklion.co.uk/GEN-LINKS/Sn0812.png

The difference on the mail side is even more obvious, with the dark, smudgey-looking Modern toolbar buttons being replaced (I think the only time shadows on toolbar buttons really worked was on Pinball)

Amusingly, this theme had nothing to do with the Modern theme at all and was made for other reasons and just ended up looking like a modern version of Modern - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p13907129 I did the tabs how I usually do them i.e. not over contrasty, but if I was going to release this one as a theme (which I'm not) then I'd probably make the inactive tabs darker to make it more reminiscent of Modern.

Anyway, that's the background on that one. :)
frg

Post by frg »

Frank, if you have patches or something for Modern l we can integrate into the comm-central source tree et me or libertyernie know.

FRG