Tooltips blacked out with Firefox 47 in Puppy Linux - Solved

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
Sandcat

Tooltips blacked out with Firefox 47 in Puppy Linux - Solved

Post by Sandcat »

~ Solved - see update in post #7 ~
=====================
I recently installed Firefox 47 in Puppy Linux. Whenever I mouse over an icon in the toolbar or a link/icon in a web page, in the small window that pops up the text is black and the background is dark gray. I've tried reconfiguring the color settings and the plugins/extensions I've installed and even tried disabling all of them by running Firefox in Safe Mode and nothing has helped. What can I do to fix this?
Last edited by Sandcat on July 20th, 2016, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Lion

Re: Tooltips blacked out with Firefox 47 in Puppy Linux

Post by Frank Lion »

Sandcat wrote:What can I do to fix this?
Firefox takes a lot of its UI colours from the OS theme being used. Try changing the Operating System theme you are using (a dark one, I reckon?) or use a 3rd Party Firefox theme that will enforce the right colours for backgrounds and text throughout.

Either way, this is no Firefox bug. Most Linux themes are not very well written.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
James

Post by James »

Firefox on Linux as of 46.0 and newer requires GTK 3.4 or preferably newer to run. As a result it needs a GTK3 theme now as you cannot get away with a GTK2 theme anymore. As said not every theme is bug free with many applications especially if the author made use of a existing theme that was not well written.
Sandcat

Post by Sandcat »

Hello everyone -
Thanks for your suggestions. I was having trouble logging into my account here over the last few days and just now got it sorted out, so I wasn't able to respond sooner.
Frank Lion -
The Tahrpup theme I'm using is not dark. It utilizes light/medium colors, and if I mouse over any icon at the bottom of the screen, I get a tooltip window with a yellow background and black text which is easy to read. The dark tooltip problem occurs everywhere else in the browser window.
In Firefox I'm using the default theme. I've tried tweaking the color settings in it in Preferences > Content > Fonts & Colors with no success. I tried a few other Firefox themes and the problem remained.
Someone suggested I try Stylish where one can download extensions which will allow one to change the look of the tooltips. It partially solved the problem - it works for everything else on the screen, but oddly, when I mouse over the icons for any of the add-ons I've installed, the tooltips are still dark. I tried running Firefox in Safe Mode with the add-ons disabled in case they were interfering in some way, and that didn't work either.
I noticed an option to modify the scripts for these extensions - I'm wondering if there's a way to do it so that tooltips for add-ons are included. I'll ask someone over on the Stylish forums about it.
James -
Would GTK 3.4 (or newer) themes work in Tahrpup 6.0.2 or 6.0.5?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Sandcat wrote:Hello everyone -
Thanks for your suggestions.
No problem. Now try following one of those suggestions -
Frank Lion wrote:Try changing the Operating System theme you are using
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Sandcat

Post by Sandcat »

Frank Lion -
I did try following your suggestions.
I tried changing the OS theme, even though, as I said, the theme I'm using is not dark. It didn't work, which is why I continued looking for a solution.
I also tried your other suggestion about the 3rd party Firefox themes as well - which I already stated in my previous post - "I tried a few other Firefox themes and the problem remained."
I'm currently using Tahrpup 6.0.5. I initially thought this WAS a Firefox issue since the problem was only occurring in the Firefox browser window, which is why I posted my question here first instead of the Puppy forums. Based on what you and James have told me, it's more likely a Linux issue, so if Stylish doesn't work out, I'll try over there.
Thanks for the help, anyway.
Sandcat

Post by Sandcat »

Update:
I did some research over on Murga Linux and the problem was with my OS.
There is a thread titled: Firefox 46 tooltips unreadable
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 915#913915
which has instructions on how to fix dark tooltips in the Firefox browser in Tahrpup.
What I did was: Go to root/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini, click on settings.ini, then in Geany change the gtk theme name to Default.
Mine was gtk-theme-name = oxygen - gtk, so I changed oxygen - gtk to Default, restarted Firefox, and now all the tooltips are readable.
Thanks to OscarTalks over at Murga Linux for this information.