Updating a Firefox theme to v25.0 onwards...

Discuss application theming and theme development.
maxdamage

Re: Updating a Firefox theme to v25.0 onwards...

Post by maxdamage »

Frank Lion wrote:
maxdamage wrote:Would it be possible to rename for example -moz-border-radius to border-radius and -mox-box-shadow to box-shadow by removing the -moz- from each of the properties and will that work?
You can, but I normally just dupe the lines without the -moz- prefix to maintain backwards compatibility.

Your main problem though is that more than half the toolbar buttons needed for, say, Firefox 47, don't exist at all in a theme made for Firefox 25, like the one you are working on.
Atm I have been using the modified version of the theme for FireFox v28.0 without any further problems other than the ones I have encountered in Firefox v 25.0.I saw that with regards to the toolbar buttons.Don't know what I will do about that though?

I could keep an older version for older versions of Firefox?
Lootyhoof

Post by Lootyhoof »

It was with Firefox 4.0 that both of these worked without -moz. Keeping backwards compatibility further than that (so 3.x) would be redundant IMO, since the original theme worked for 3.x anyway.

Do note that the syntax for border-radius changes between the spec and -moz versions. For example, -moz-border-radius-topleft would be border-top-left-radius, and so on. The syntax for box-shadow remains the same.

With regards to the toolbar buttons, considering this is for personal use it's probably easiest to just use the icons from the default theme (use the "inverted" icons, though - they work best on dark backgrounds, which this appears to use). You can always tweak them later if necessary, say for example you wanted them to be more consistent with the icon style the rest of the theme uses.

You could basically take the default theme's toolbar image, place your theme's images on top (obviously making sure you remove what's underneath first; you're placing on top to align them properly), then take the icon mappings (so the -moz-image-region properties) from the default theme. Then, as mentioned before, you can just make changes to the icons later as you see fit.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Lootyhoof wrote:It was with Firefox 4.0 that both of these worked without -moz. Keeping backwards compatibility further than that (so 3.x) would be redundant IMO, since the original theme worked for 3.x anyway.
Yep, I recall the bug - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=693510#c11

The original theme worked anyway for 3 x, in part, because of those prefixes. Always best to keep things simple when learning and dupe other people's existing code, rather than wrecking it. Let's face it, if people versioning up other people's themes knew much about coding then they would be writing their own original themes, er, as I do. :wink:
maxdamage wrote:I could keep an older version for older versions of Firefox?
I think your next step is to figure out exactly which OS platform and which Firefox version you want your theme to work for and concentrate on only that.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
maxdamage

Post by maxdamage »

Frank Lion wrote:
Lootyhoof wrote:It was with Firefox 4.0 that both of these worked without -moz. Keeping backwards compatibility further than that (so 3.x) would be redundant IMO, since the original theme worked for 3.x anyway.
Yep, I recall the bug - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=693510#c11

The original theme worked anyway for 3 x, in part, because of those prefixes. Always best to keep things simple when learning and dupe other people's existing code, rather than wrecking it. Let's face it, if people versioning up other people's themes knew much about coding then they would be writing their own original themes, er, as I do. :wink:
maxdamage wrote:I could keep an older version for older versions of Firefox?
I think your next step is to figure out exactly which OS platform and which Firefox version you want your theme to work for and concentrate on only that.
The Aerofox v3.0+ theme did not work in v4.0 as it was messed up.At-least the version for v4.0 works with v28.0 with a few "errors" but not for v44.0.

Since I use Windows only that is the OS I'll be using so I could delete the mac version?Still would like to get help from the author of the theme for some basic help with the images,etc.. and get permission to maintain it code wise for the future and permission to release the updated\fixed version?
Lootyhoof

Post by Lootyhoof »

You should be good to remove the Mac folder, since you won't be needing it yourself (though, if you intend to release it at a later date assuming you get permission then it might be best to keep it just in case). If you do remove it, though, make sure to remove the entry for it in chrome.manifest too.
maxdamage

Post by maxdamage »

@Lootyhoof

Do you mean like this?
#tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="true"] > .tabbrowser-tab[selected="true"] {
-moz-appearance: none;
appearance: none;
background: none;
margin: 0 -16px 0 0;
position: relative;
padding: 0;
-moz-border-image: url("tabbrowser/tab-top-selected.png") 4 14 4 14 / 4px 14px 4px 14px repeat stretch;
border-image: url("tabbrowser/tab-top-selected.png") 4 14 4 14 / 4px 14px 4px 14px repeat stretch;
border-radius: 8px 8px 0 0;
color: #ffffff;
Lootyhoof

Post by Lootyhoof »

You can change border-image (it uses the standardised version as of FF15), though you can't use appearance instead of -moz-appearance (it's a Mozilla-specific thing with its own properties).

See MDN for reference on all available CSS properties, as well as the Mozilla CSS Extensions article.
maxdamage

Post by maxdamage »

maxdamage wrote:
mcdavis wrote:
maxdamage wrote:1:Fix all three tab images.
Could you tell me about any work you've done with tabs? Is that the way the theme was, or have you worked with that some? It looks like you may have taken some Fx29 Australis-style tabs code and mixed it in with theme code, I'm wondering if that's what you're trying to accomplish.

2:Fix\remove the "transparency" in the text area in the tabs element as seen in the posted screenshots.
I'm looking at the screenshot but I'm not sure what part is transparent. You might consider putting up another screenshot with a red box that precisely encloses the transparent area?
6:Fix the page load progress indicator that is located at the bottom of the url bar.
That was removed from Firefox itself. Do you still see it with Firefox 25? If so, is it coming from an add-on and do you know which add-on?

Look at the text Connecting.... in the tab area in the above screenshot and you can see the background of the text is the same blue aero colour as the rest of the browser and you can see that in each screenshot of the theme with Firefox.

I am using the status4eva addon which could be adding the page load progress indicator bar back in which I don't mind though.It is just a couple of pixel above the bottom of the url bar than it is in FireFox v4.0.
mcdavis wrote:
6:Ask mcdavis if he could please test the fixed theme in the latest version of Firefox to see if all the fixes\additions are working or not once I have done all of the additions\fixes?
You can email me your XPI any time, with whatever your current work is.
Thanks.Will do that.
I made a version of the theme with some of the fixes I did and upgraded my ancient copy of Firefox v4.0 to v12.0 which is better and more stable. All the stuff I have added plus what was in with the theme works like a dream in v12.0. :)

The above problem with the text in the tabs and the tab graphics not loading properly is not there which could mean it is only with the aero theme in vista home basic or not?
maxdamage

Post by maxdamage »

maxdamage wrote:

Look at the text Connecting.... in the tab area in the above screenshot and you can see the background of the text is the same blue aero colour as the rest of the browser and you can see that in each screenshot of the theme with Firefox.

I am using the status4eva addon which could be adding the page load progress indicator bar back in which I don't mind though.It is just a couple of pixel above the bottom of the url bar than it is in FireFox v4.0.

I made a version of the theme with some of the fixes I did and upgraded my ancient copy of Firefox v4.0 to v12.0 which is better and more stable. All the stuff I have added plus what was in with the theme works like a dream in v12.0. :)

The above problem with the text in the tabs and the tab graphics not loading properly is not there which could mean it is only with the aero theme in vista home basic or not?
It seems that vista home basic's aero theme isn't the reason why the tabs are not being skinned properly.The reason the title of the webpage that is displayed on the tab has a clear background which is why you can see the aero theme behind the tab could be because of the vista aero theme or not?

The thing is that I have been browsing the Firefox Release Notes and checked out the release notes for each of the released versions of Firefox from v12.0 the one I have installed on my pc and would like to install a newer version before v25.0 - v28.0 that has the tab problem that I am experiencing atm with the theme. So I downloaded and installed Firefox v19.0.2 and I had the tab problem with the theme and v19.0.2 of Firefox except the bug with the transparent rectangle that is by where the title of the webpage is located on the tab as seen in the screenshot above.

I did have a problem with the new tab page but I haven't added the fix plus resources from my "newer" version of the theme for v25.0 and v28.0 since they have the feature and v12.0 did not have it anyway.If I can just fix the tab issue I could upgrade straight to v28.0 and bypass v19.0.2 altogether for better security and better html5 support as well.

Is there another way of finding out the changelogs for each version of Firefox so I can see what wwas changed fixed,etc...? The Firefox Release Notes are kinda helpful but I think I need to check the tabs code from the theme and compare it from the tab code from v28.0 and see if there are any errors or not??? *SIGH*
maxdamage

Post by maxdamage »

I have been "bug" hunting eventually dumping v12.0 of Firefox for v14.0.1 as that is the last version of Firefox that doesn't screw up the tab images and tab titles.Plus not I need a new third party image hot as Photobucket decided to screw with me and try and force my to pay to allow third party hosting... :@

It seems from v15.0 onwards the tabs image are messed up and no longer works properly as seen in the screenshots I have posted before.Am I allowed to upload images here if they are "small" enough? Just asking. I need to talk to some who knows what was done from Firefox v15.0 onwards so I can understand WTH was done to the browser so I could find a fix for the tabs images and tabs title problem so I can dump v14.0.1 for v28.0 permanently.

Thanks.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Try https://imgur.com/
Seems to be still free
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

I wonder if PhotoRacket can be sued..class action?
Surely the fact that for years members have been allowed 3rd party hosting is legally a Implied Contract.
Great PR to deface every forum and blog on the web, WTF couldn't the jerk have made it 'from now on'?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

My bet is somewhere in the eula they have a get out of jail card
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Well, at least "they" are still holding on to all your uploaded images etc., etc.
No actual need to move them anywhere else unless absolutely necessary.

You can always D/L them & post them somewhere else.
I don't know if any of these sites intend to change their Policy.
> http://tinypic.com/
> https://imageshack.com/
> https://imgur.com/
> https://postimg.org

Just a shame that all those posted images are now displayed as "maxdamage" posted.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

That's not the point L, I know all about what I can do with PB images/GIF's and have around 20 alternative image hosting sites bookmarked.
As you know I believe one image is worth a thousand words ;)
This, as you point out, is the problem, it's nothing short of graffiti vandalism ](*,)
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &start=645
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.