Adobe flash player to be phased out, why?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
psongman

Adobe flash player to be phased out, why?

Post by psongman »

Hi, I need Adobe Flash Player to watch my videos on several racing sites. How will I be able to watch these videos of my horses if this is done? I don't understand why this is being implemented, as there are thousands of sites who require you to use this plugin to watch their videos. I just checked before posting this new topic and almost all of the sites I watch videos on use Adobe Flash Player. Also, I have Vista and I can't use any higher version than IE9, so that leaves out that alternative.

So, can someone please explain what can do or what can be done to prepare for this, or if there is going to be an alternative in Firefox, thanks, RD
the-edmeister

Re: Adobe flash player to be phased out, why?

Post by the-edmeister »

Flash is a POS that always seems to have extreme vulnerabilities. HTML <video> & <audio> is slowly replacing or eliminating the need for Flash, along with a number of newer "player types". YouTube seems to be leading with these changes.
https://www.youtube.com/html5

It is incumbent upon the various websites out there to update their video offerings and their websites before Flash is discontinued entirely. And don't blame Mozilla for this, this is an industry wide change going on.

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases ... n-firefox/

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases ... n-firefox/

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
psongman

Post by psongman »

Well, I disagree, as I have spent a long afternoon checking in with the sites I use and other possibilities. You have to use Flash according to 30 out of 35 of my inquiries. So, regardless of what you call this plugin, it is necessary and most streaming sites use it. Also, it is not an industry wide modification, as most of those I asked about it, weren't even aware of Firefox phasing this out, and some were quite upset as they said a lot of their clients use this web feature. So, before everyone gets on the Flash Player is no good bandwagon, we want to know what alternatives you are offering, thanks, RD
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Look it is not only Mozilla dropping Flash before much longer every major browser will have binned flash and other plugins. So the sites that are now using it will have to change.
http://www.howtogeek.com/179213/why-bro ... cing-them/
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

^^ Yeah that seems about right, I figured nine out of ten sites streaming video still use Flash....without which, at the moment, the web is pretty much useless...particularly for Enterprises and developers.
@What's the big deal, even Mozilla aren't stupid enough to nuke Flash permanently, somewhere in the far future maybe, they're just turning it off by default , all we have to do is click on Activate Adobe Flash.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Far future, no. Near future, yes. March 2017 is not that far away.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

One could always download the portable version of Firefox and use it for those specific sites that are going to keep using Flash... of course the current portable version is ... is the same as my installed version ... but there are also old versions out there to pick up...

Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives

Old ones...
PortableApps.com: Portable Software/USB - Browse /Mozilla Firefox, Portable Ed. at SourceForge.net
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
therube

Post by therube »

August:
Firefox will block certain Flash content that is not essential to the user experience, while continuing to support legacy Flash content. ... Firefox will continue this trend by blocking specific Flash content invisible to users.
Later this year:
we plan to expand this list to include the use of Flash to check content viewability, a common practice to measure advertising.
Presumably, both of those should lead to a better browsing experience.
2017:
Firefox will require click-to-activate approval from users before a website activates the Flash plugin for any content.
So even with that, Flash is not gone, simply tempered.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Omega X wrote:Far future, no. Near future, yes. March 2017 is not that far away.
Huh?
Firefox plans to drop support for all NPAPI plugins, EXCEPT Flash, in March 2017.
dude9O5

Post by dude9O5 »

Ok, so Mozilla is getting rid of flash, what will take it place than ?
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

It will still depend on the sites and what they choose.
In some cases HTML5 will be the default.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Brummelchen wrote:blog for flash/2017
Yes we know, Ed already posted that link ^^^^^

@Actions have consequences, like shafting the guy who wanted to kill Flash by making Shumway development and deployment a priority...