Mozilla will not fix the bug of the print output forever.

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

[*]#471015 [Core:Printing: Output]-Fieldsets are truncated to one page when printed / print-previewed [All]
[*]#534182 [Core:Printing: Output]-Tall inline-blocks are cropped in print / print-preview [All]

Let's switch to Chrome.
LIMPET235

Re: Mozilla will not fix the bug of the print output forever

Post by LIMPET235 »

Well, Alice...That does come as a surprise....."NOT." (That's the 1st time I've used that expression.) :)

"They" will not repair a basic browser function to operate "normally" & fully?
Gee whiz! Maybe it's just too damn hard for "them" & "they've" turned green & are trying to save the
planet by not cutting down so many trees?

I can see a heap of users that will migrate to other browsers.
Not a good way to keep any new users at all, at all.

Absolutely nuts.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

I have been complaining about "printing" in Firefox since I first used Phoenix back in Aug 2002. And many of the Bugs that existed back then still aren't fixed, so it's no surprise to me that those two Bugs filed in 2008 & 2009 still haven't been fixed. I spend a lot of time using Print Edit to get around bugs like that; and before Print Edit was available I would "view it in Firefox and then look at the Print Preview - then open IE [or Opera, or Safari] and print the page from there, usually without wasting my time with viewing a Preview - each of them would print it properly without fail". I have always wondered how Firefox ever got to its 20% market share that it once had. Surely not on the (lack of) strength of its ability to print to paper.

Besides using Print Edit, sometimes I save a "page" in MHT format using UnMHT and then print that saved page from Firefox - it the webpage is that important to me to have it on paper.

I honestly believe that Mozilla isn't capable of fixing most of the hundreds of printing bugs in Firefox. Probably the oldest code currently in Firefox, dating back to the mid 90's when Netscape created Navigator. And it seems that any time Mozilla "fixes" or attempts to improve something with regards to printing, a regression appears that isn't always fixed.

I think that Mozilla needs to hire some programmers to write an all new "print module" from a clean sheet of paper, and only have them work on print code, without outside distractions of any of the other projects that Mozilla may be working on. In the time that I have waited for "my pet bugs" to be fixed, Google has hired away some top Mozilla talent and gone on to create a whole damn browser that overtook the Microsoft strange-hold on the web.

I'm not going to leave Firefox, especially for Chrome, over "printing" but I sure as hell don't refer people to using Firefox
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
toolong

Post by toolong »

LIMPET235 wrote:Well, Alice...That does come as a surprise....."NOT." (That's the 1st time I've used that expression.) :)

"They" will not repair a basic browser function to operate "normally" & fully?
Gee whiz! Maybe it's just too damn hard for "them" & "they've" turned green & are trying to save the
planet by not cutting down so many trees?

I can see a heap of users that will migrate to other browsers.
Not a good way to keep any new users at all, at all.

Absolutely nuts.

A question? Over the many years I have seen reported bug not get 'fixed' but the code causing them was replaced and the problem went away.

With all, or most, of these 'unfixed printing bugs' you write of - do the errors still happen? Would you care to give Bug numbers?

I ask because I don't do a lot of printing from Firefox but I can not think of a serious problem I have had in years. The only one I can think was the early release of the printing of PDF function was problematic for me. Neither of my sons had any problems.
therube

Post by therube »

(If the bugs were not real, were no longer applicable, or were not affecting people, Alice would not have posted this.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
toolong

Post by toolong »

therube wrote:(If the bugs were not real, were no longer applicable, or were not affecting people, Alice would not have posted this.)

Where did I say that I thought that these bugs are not real? I just asked for the number(s) so that I might see if I too could recreate these problems.

Sorry I asked to help.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

[*]#1288734 [Core:Printing: Output]-Developer Edition 49.0a2 (2016-07-22) Google Maps printouts do not print all pages/directions. First and last page blank. [Win]
[*]#1289116 [Core:Printing: Output]-Page does not print properly [All]
toolong

Post by toolong »

Alice0775 wrote:[*]#1288734 [Core:Printing: Output]-Developer Edition 49.0a2 (2016-07-22) Google Maps printouts do not print all pages/directions. First and last page blank. [Win]

Thank you. Working (supposed to be :-) ) at the moment but I will try this later today.
toolong

Post by toolong »

Alice0775 wrote:[*]#1288734 [Core:Printing: Output]-Developer Edition 49.0a2 (2016-07-22) Google Maps printouts do not print all pages/directions. First and last page blank. [Win]
I am sorry but I need a little help here.

Maybe I do not understand just what it is that you are trying to print that does not print. Nothing that I do can cause the printing, or not printing, to react as you describe. As best as I can follow what you describe I do not get the same results.

Perhaps I need some more details for further tests?
Patch2

Post by Patch2 »

The Tinsmith wrote:With all, or most, of these 'unfixed printing bugs' you write of - do the errors still happen? Would you care to give Bug numbers?

I ask because I don't do a lot of printing from Firefox but I can not think of a serious problem I have had in years.
https://www.dermnetnz.org/topics/seborrhoeic-keratosis
First page only prints, later just header.
Past versions overlapped text over pictures