Add-ons Manager Hilite [Thunderbird & Legacy]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
avada

Re: [Ext] Add-ons Manager Hilite

Post by avada »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:
avada wrote:At the moment it doesn't store the sort setting...
Actually it does store it. The intended behavior is that the MRU sort is restored. ATM that is connected to the "Always Restore Hilite" Option (the MRU sort gets restored along with the hilite). I agree that's probably not ideal. I doubt a separate setting is necessary for the desired sort upon opening AoM. I am leaning towards always restoring the MRU sort. Open to feedback on whether a "Restore saved sort (after Add-ons Manager is reopened or Fx is restarted)" option is required. Does anyone with one of the other installed extensions that use sorting buttons (Stylish, Greasemonkey, etc.) know whether they automatically restore the MRU sort? I think if there's a consistent behavior among them, we should probably just do that.

Also, wasn't it you who initially had the problem I originally added the delay for? If so, am I correct that they are no longer needed? IOW, does this beta regress that previous issue for you?
If it was me I don't remember why was the delay needed. What was it a workaround for?
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

avada wrote:If it was me I don't remember why was the delay needed. What was it a workaround for?
Ok, I found it. For this: ( From viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1982363&start=72 )
avada wrote:Closing the addons window and opening it again (with hotkey) with latest beta the sorting seems to change back to FF default. But if I change sections I get the date based sorting working again. (extensions.addonsmgrhilte@cfl.updatedSort is enabled)
custom.firefox.lady wrote:Confirmed bug: If 'Always Restore Hilite' option is off and date based sorting is on, date based sorting is not taking effect on Add-ons Manager load.... The extension seems to be attempting to sort before the add-on list is completely ready.
Though you were seeing the issue even with 'Always Restore Hilite' enabled. I can't test without it enabled, since ATM that wouldn't restore the sort order at all. So can you repro your previous issue with the 3.0b1?

BTW, checked Greasemonkey and Stylish, they both restore the previously selected sort order. Addons Manager Hilite restores the MRU sort order (ignoring categories added by other extensions known to have their own sorting buttons) but it only stores one MRU sort, not one per category. Is that better or will that be confusing? Either way changing the sort is only one click away.
avada

Post by avada »

I'm a tad confused by the changes. So if I have 'Always Restore Hilite' enabled then it should restore the MRU sorting too? It seems to work.
custom.firefox.lady

avada wrote:... So if I have 'Always Restore Hilite' enabled then it should restore the MRU sorting too?
Yes, that's the expected behavior of beta 1.
custom.firefox.lady

Addons Manager Hilite3.0b2 is now available for testing.

Changes since 3.0b1:
* Chosen sort should be restored even if option to always restore hilite is off
* Fixed: clicking the "Enabled" sort button on another category causes the "Extensions" category to become selected
* Add UI for (previously hidden) option to show the version number in the optional autocomplete Add-on List (option no longer requires restart)
* Fixed: Autocomplete listbox should not include inaccessible (hidden) add-ons e.g. "Firefox Hello"
* Refactor options handling code

Known Issue: Errant arrow appears on "Name" sort button on Thunderbird; will be fixed in next version.
avada

Post by avada »

Hi!

I was thinking that making the "Enabled" column into a checkbox or such might make more sense. It's in practice alphabetical sorting with the disabled addons grouped at the end, since there are only two states.
The purpose would be to enable this grouping to updated sort to. In some cases it would be useful, such as weeding out old disabled addons.
custom.firefox.lady

avada wrote:I was thinking that making the "Enabled" column into a checkbox or such might make more sense. It's in practice alphabetical sorting with the disabled addons grouped at the end, since there are only two states.
I agree with your logic. However, I'm not inclined to add another widget to the Add-ons Manager. Also, other popular add-ons use sorting buttons in the same manner as Addons Manager Hilite and I'd prefer to maintain consistency with that.
avada wrote:The purpose would be to enable this grouping to updated sort to. In some cases it would be useful, such as weeding out old disabled addons.
I doubt this would be something you'd need to do frequently, so I think just adding an option for this sort should be sufficient.

Addons Manager Hilite 3.0b3 is available for testing.
Changes since beta 2:
* Remove errant arrow on "Name" sort button on Thunderbird
* Add option to group 'by state' when sorting by 'Last Updated'
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

Using the recently released Add-ons Manager Hilite 3.0 in SeaMonkey 2.47a1 (Gecko/Toolkit 50.0a1) on Linux64.

• The add-on autocomplete rolldown is not present in the "recent updates" tab which is what I use most, thanks to the "Addons Recent Updates" extension which allows me to set a longer limit (of my choice) to "how recent is recent". It is accessed by a menuitem in the "cogwheel" rolldown.

• The link to the "support site" on the AMO page for this extension is set wrong: instead of linking to here, it gives me a site-specific 404 error page. The "Home page", OTOH, liks to a contact form (to send e.g. a bug report to the author) from where, after sending a message, a "Return to homepage" link comes to this forum. Rather roundabout I'd say. You bet I'm gonna bookmark this page to find it back more easily.
Best regards,
Tony
custom.firefox.lady

tonymec wrote:Using the recently released Add-ons Manager Hilite 3.0 in SeaMonkey 2.47a1 (Gecko/Toolkit 50.0a1) on Linux64.

• The add-on autocomplete rolldown is not present in the "recent updates" tab which is what I use most, thanks to the "Addons Recent Updates" extension which allows me to set a longer limit (of my choice) to "how recent is recent". It is accessed by a menuitem in the "cogwheel" rolldown.
Yes, it's not actually intended to appear there. aomhilite would need to handle retrieving this (normally partial) list differently and typically there are not that many items in that list to make the autocomplete rolldown useful there. I think you should be able to get a similar effect by opening the 'Extension' tab and using the button for the 'Last Updated' sort.
tonymec wrote:• The link to the "support site" on the AMO page for this extension is set wrong: instead of linking to here, it gives me a site-specific 404 error page. The "Home page", OTOH, liks to a contact form (to send e.g. a bug report to the author) from where, after sending a message, a "Return to homepage" link comes to this forum. Rather roundabout I'd say. You bet I'm gonna bookmark this page to find it back more easily.
Fixed, thanks for the info. (The error page was due to HTML encoding in the '&' char in the url. The homepage didn't yet exist when I added the contact form as the AMO homepage link, and I just hadn't gotten it updated.)
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:Yes, it's not actually intended to appear there. aomhilite would need to handle retrieving this (normally partial) list differently and typically there are not that many items in that list to make the autocomplete rolldown useful there. I think you should be able to get a similar effect by opening the 'Extension' tab and using the button for the 'Last Updated' sort.
Hm, yes, I thought of that after posting. ATM I use the (extended) recent updates tab for sort-by-last-update and the Extensions (or Appearance or...) tab for sort-by-name.

One advantage of the recent updates tab, though, is that it displays all add-ons (later than the cut-off date) regardless of category: extensions, themes (complete and lightweight), langpacks, NPAPI plugins, whatever. I think I'll go on using it.
Best regards,
Tony
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

P.S. Now I notice that the "home" link in the add-ons manager Detais page about Add-ons Manager Hilite 3.0 links to some page about a "Stay-Open Menu" extension. Looks like one href= got mispasted there.

The same wrong link appears on the AMO page titled "Meet the Addons Manager Hilite Developer". Maybe these links both come from the same setting.
Best regards,
Tony
custom.firefox.lady

tonymec wrote:P.S. Now I notice that the "home" link in the add-ons manager Detais page about Add-ons Manager Hilite 3.0 links to some page about a "Stay-Open Menu" extension. Looks like one href= got mispasted there.
Hmmm, the install.rdf file in the extension never got updated either. (Stay-Open Menu is the first Fx ext I ever authored.) I'll probably just add a link to it on the Stay-Open Menu homepage for now. Actually there was one initially, that apparently was later removed, not realizing this extension was linking to that page. I'll update install.rdf too, but not going to release a new version just for that.
tonymec wrote:The same wrong link appears on the AMO page titled "Meet the Addons Manager Hilite Developer". Maybe these links both come from the same setting.
Actually, this one comes from the Dev Profile at AMO. I don't think there's any way to specify a different one per extension. But changing my main page to link to each of them should work.

Thanks for reporting. (You are a good bug finder; consider using the ext's dev channel <grin>)
bob99

Post by bob99 »

I don't know why but after upgrading to FF 54 and making a new profile this addon doesn't work reliably anymore. I did install some new addons that weren't in my old profile but I disabled all of those to make the new profile similar to the old profile and it still doesn't work correctly. If I click on an addon's "More" link and then go back it doesn't remember the last position I was on. Going back also resets the sorting to "Name". If I close the Add-on Manager and then undo the close tab it doesn't remember the last position (I have "Always Restore Hilite" checked). Same happens when I restart FF.

Strangely my old profile still works fine after updating to FF 54.
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

bob99 wrote:I don't know why but after upgrading to FF 54 and making a new profile this addon doesn't work reliably anymore. I did install some new addons that weren't in my old profile but I disabled all of those to make the new profile similar to the old profile and it still doesn't work correctly. If I click on an addon's "More" link and then go back it doesn't remember the last position I was on. Going back also resets the sorting to "Name". If I close the Add-on Manager and then undo the close tab it doesn't remember the last position (I have "Always Restore Hilite" checked). Same happens when I restart FF.

Strangely my old profile still works fine after updating to FF 54.
IIRC, extension options, like all preferences, are per profile (stored between browser runs in prefs.js at top level in the profile directory). Did you bring them over to the new profile?
Best regards,
Tony
bob99

Post by bob99 »

tonymec wrote:IIRC, extension options, like all preferences, are per profile (stored between browser runs in prefs.js at top level in the profile directory). Did you bring them over to the new profile?
No I didn't reuse the old prefs.js file. I wanted a new clean profile to use with e10s so I had to drop many of my old addons that weren't compatible.