Restore Problems

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
troothteller

Restore Problems

Post by troothteller »

Having just picked up my computer from a shop after replacing a hard drive, loosing all data including favorites within browsers, I have to restore my other programs. Why can't Mozilla, within its organization pages provide a link to SeaMonkey so the site is not so hard to find? I cannot communicate with anyone by email until I get SeaMonkey reinstalled. Meanwhile, there is no direct communication with Mozilla; so signing in is a waste of time. Their contact page requires me to identify a user after composing a message. Who do they think I am?
isaacschemm

Re: Restore Problems

Post by isaacschemm »

I don't think Mozilla has customer support for SeaMonkey. It's an entirely volunteer project, and the number of users is very small compared to Firefox or maybe even Thunderbird.
Are you having problems setting up your email? If so, what email provider do you use (Yahoo, Comcast, Gmail, etc.)?
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Ernie, I am a Comcast subscriber. I set it up using an old profile; but the folders are not exactly the same as the ones I had before the crash. Thanks for answering.
frg

Post by frg »

Well if you have a complete backup of your profile directory just copy it to %APPDATA%\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles

%APPDATA% is your profile application data directory eg. C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming (if C: is your bootdrive and not a server profile).

Then edit profiles.ini in the %APPDATA%\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\ directory

It should look like
+++ snipp +++
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/<yourprofilename>.default
Default=1
+++ snap +++

Without the +++ snip and snap.

Replace yourprofilename.default with the name from the backup. If you still have problems:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Recovering_a_missing_profile

FRG
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

I did not have backup, as indicated in the initial post. The former drive was a replacement; so I did not expect it to fail. However, that is not the worst of problems. Except for Chrome, which I do not use, none of my programs open. A few do not even try to open. The rest show 0xc0000005 error code. Only my antivirus and SuperAntiSpyware open. My suspicion is that the new installation of Nero Multimedia 2010 caused it.
therube

Post by therube »

0xc0000005 error code
Any change if you restart your computer in Safe Mode?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

rube, surprisingly the programs that would not normally open did in Safe Mode; but I uninstalled as many of them as I could although some would not even uninstall in Safe Mode. I took this computer back to the technician early this afternoon. He thought the sites I visited corrupted the installations rather than the programs themselves. That error code is no longer a problem. He brought the computer back to its earliest restore point. However, I now notice some programs now do not even work at all. I now just uninstalled Torch Browser because it would not open. Still, Chrome shows no problem. We have a new set of problems now. I do not know whether I should reinstall both Firefox and SeaMonkey new now since both behave the same way. For both, they display the message when attempting to open, "Couldn't open XPCOM." Neither one uninstalls, not even in Safe Mode. Dropbox also neither wants to open nor uninstall, showing its unique error message. IE11 now works fine as does Adobe Reader. The drivers that came with my Western Digital My Cloud all work. What should I do about Firefox and SeaMonkey? Now I access my email from my ISP site.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Somebody on Microsoft's forum directed me to this article: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser_will_ ... M.22_error. I am now applying that fix and will advise on progress. Thanks to all so far.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

When I opened Firefox this morning a box popped up in my System Tray indicating I received a notification; but it contained no link to it. So, if any, I do not know to which thread it pertained. Logging into the Mozilla site was of no help because one has to know a user to send a message, as if I am that interested in knowing everybody who uses a Mozilla product. If important at all, how do I retrieve this notification?
therube

Post by therube »

He thought the sites I visited corrupted the installations rather than the programs themselves.
I'd doubt that was the issue.
He brought the computer back to its earliest restore point.
While that does seem to be one way to "fix" a 0xc0000005, it can leave things (programs or whatnot) in a not too exacting state (as in parts of something new along with parts from the restored items & they may not necessarily "click").
Neither one [SeaMonkey/FF] uninstalls
What does happen when you try?
I should reinstall both Firefox and SeaMonkey new now since both behave
I would try that.
If you can't actually uninstall them, I would at least rename their instalDir's prior to installing again.
So if SeaMonkey is installed into "/Program files/SeaMonkey/" rename that directory to "Program files/SeaMonkey.BAD", then install anew.

PS: Backup, including your Profile.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

I have new installations of both Firefox and SeaMonkey. According to the article, I deleted their respective folders in Program Files (86). In Control Panel, nothing happened on hitting "uninstall." With 7zip I made backup profiles. Having already reinstalled the programs, I do not know how much of the old installation is present. SeaMonkey still displays the same files and profiles as it did when it last worked before the error code displayed. Previously when the technician spoke about bad sites, he referred to Baidu, Personal Firewall, Malwarebytes', and SuperAntiSpyware, which immediately opens an IE page after a major update.