New Bookmark Window Changed?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
PowerKord

New Bookmark Window Changed?

Post by PowerKord »

July 24, 2016

Greetings,

Why has the SeaMonkey 'New Bookmark' window changed, apparently with version 2.40?

The window now opens in a very compact form, which if left that way and not dragged open vertically doesn't even permit me to click the Bookmark list to have it appear so I can add a Bookmark. In other words, if I click the down arrow button (directly to the right of the Bookmarks Menu popup list), my existing Bookmarks menu no longer appears, until I drag the window vertically. Then I can see the list and add a bookmark.

Additionally, once I drag the window to my desired size and dimension, the window does not retain that setting, as it used to.

What's going on here? I've never had this kind of issue with SeaMonkey. Could it be because I'm using a custom theme?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Warm Regards,

Vincent Frank De Benedetto
-------------------------------
BROTHERHOOD OF MAN
BrotherhoodOfMan.love

Every problem we have, individually and collectively, is caused by capitalism, which includes its culture of egoism. Let's build the Brotherhood of Man--literally the only answer.
frg

Re: New Bookmark Window Changed?

Post by frg »

Its a new feature! I hope you love it!

Ok its not. Just a bug which is already fixed for the next release.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1249536

For a workaround see:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3002273
PowerKord

Post by PowerKord »

Greetings,

Thanks, frg.

1.) What is the time frame for that next release?

2.) If I don't want to wait that long, can I re-install the last stable version? Which is what version for Windows 7? Where's the download link? Would I have to de-install v2.40 first? Will the older version retain all my bookmarks and custom settings? What features or characteristics will I lose if I go back to a previous version?

If you'd be so kind, please answer each question above so I know what I'm doing, and can make a proper decision with a smooth result.

Thanks!

Regards,

Vincent
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

This is what I did to fix the problem with "File Bookmark": in my userChrome.css file I set this:

Code: Select all

/* Increase size/height of the expanded bookmarks panel */
#editBMPanel_folderTree {
min-width:350px !important; min-height:560px !important;}
#bookmarkproperties {
min-height:830px !important;}
PowerKord

Post by PowerKord »

Thanks.

But I've already diverted too much of the precious moments of my life to computers. I'm not gonna sit around fixing someone else's code mistakes.

Regards,

Vincent Frank De Benedetto
frg

Post by frg »

Well if it takes longer to rant about not doing something than just doing it I usually do it instead :)

The userchrome.css fix can be done in a minute.

The next release whether 2.44 or 2.45 will still take some time. If all goes well in the next weeks but somehow I have a hunch we will run into problems with providing/building l10n versions. The Mozilla build environment changes constantly now and its a moving target but we are catching up.

If you want to take a 2.45 test drive check here:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14662667

But also needs a manual tweak before usable (did I say something about build environment yet?<g>). The version itself should be stable and I would recommend it any day over 2.40 but it's not a final version and you will need to manually update when the official release comes out.

FRG
PowerKord

Post by PowerKord »

Greetings,

I'm done with tweaking code; I did it for years. I don't have to tweak my washing machine or lawn mower. I've had so many problems with computers over the years that I've developed a rule: if a digital product doesn't work right, rather than pour yet more of the precious moments of my life into it (I just turned 56)--I just get rid of it and use something else. I don't want to do that with SeaMonkey if I can avoid it, however, as I've been using it as my main browser for a long time and it's always been completely stable. Which is why this defect surprised me so much.

The developers apparently didn't do a check of even basic functionality before going live with v2.4. That's amateurish.

So, FRG, again, as asked: which previous version can I use? Where can I find it, how do I install it, etc, etc, as asked above? If you'd be so kind, please answer each such question already asked, above.

BTW, if I might ask, what is your role in the SeaMonkey Project?

Thanks.

Vincent
frg

Post by frg »

Well 2.39 should be a 1:1 replacement but has other bugs.

2.38 should have less bugs and 2.35 probably the most stable. But the database was upgraded with 2.39 and going back to 2.38 will likely cause problems.

https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonk ... .35/win32/
https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonk ... .38/win32/
https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonk ... .39/win32/

Just pick the exe and install it. You profile data will be kept but there are only upgrades for the internal database formats in the code. Downgrades are not covered. So if something is not working right you need to restore a previous profile. Everything else is trial and error then.

>> BTW, if I might ask, what is your role in the SeaMonkey Project?

Junior code monkey but with the lack of developers slowly becoming a senior code monkey :)

FRG
PowerKord

Post by PowerKord »

Greetings, again, FRG,

1.) What are the notable bugs in v2.39?

2.) "Lack of developers"? For SeaMonkey, or all Mozilla projects?

3.) Is this lack of developers one of the reasons this Add Bookmark bug wasn't found?

4.) Why don't you release an immediate patch or fixed version for this bug? It's a significant bug. It's killed my everyday use of the browser.

5.) I'm unclear about v2.35. Are you saying that, while it doesn't have the Add Bookmark bug, it will give me problems with its database, or other problems?

Again, thanks.

Regards,

Vincent
frg

Post by frg »

1.) What are the notable bugs in v2.39?

You can check in the status notes what has been fixed in 2.40 and assume that these are in 2.39.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/Stat ... 2C_Next.29

There are now around 3500 bugs open against Seamonkey not counting the ones we pick up from Firefox:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/report.cgi ... esolution=

Don't worry. Thats expected for a program of this size. The real bad ones are usually worked on, a lot are obsolete and the rest will be picked up when someone has time to kill.

2.) "Lack of developers"? For SeaMonkey, or all Mozilla projects?

Seamonkey. This is not a Mozilla project. They mostly pretend we don't exist. Thunderbird gets a little better treatment but if it weren't for some great Mozilla guys Seamonkeyx would be gone.

3.) Is this lack of developers one of the reasons this Add Bookmark bug wasn't found?

Yes and lack of funding from users and and and..

4.) Why don't you release an immediate patch or fixed version for this bug? It's a significant bug. It's killed my everyday use of the browser.

Because we can't get official builds out. The build process changed totally and we are still catching up. With only very limited official help from mozilla and not may people around the catching up takes longer.

5.) I'm unclear about v2.35. Are you saying that, while it doesn't have the Add Bookmark bug, it will give me problems with its database, or other problems?

If you go back from 2.40 certainly. If you restore an old profile it would work fine. If its only the bookmark bug I would just use the workaround and be happy with 2.40. If 2.39 will not work for you for whatever reason it will take more time to get back to an older release for sure.

FRG
PowerKord

Post by PowerKord »

Hello,

Very instructive. Thanks.

OK, so I take this code:

/* Increase size/height of the expanded bookmarks panel */
#editBMPanel_folderTree {
min-width:350px !important; min-height:560px !important;}
#bookmarkproperties {
min-height:830px !important;}

Is this the correct code?

What do I do with it?

Regards,

Vincent
raj_bhaskar

Post by raj_bhaskar »

In SeaMonkey, go to Help -> About Troubleshooting. In the "Application Basics" section, in the "profile folder" row, click the "Show Folder" button. This opens your profile folder. In that folder, there should be a "chrome" sub-folder, go into there, and either edit the existing userChrome.css file, or if it doesn't exist, create a text file called "userChrome.css" and paste the code above into it. Save the file and restart SeaMonkey. That should do the job.
therube

Post by therube »

there should be a "chrome" sub-folder
That may not necessarily be the case any more?
You may actually have to create the directory.

(Pretty sure the userContent-example.css & userChrome-example.css are no longer created -there being a bug on that.)

KB:

UserChrome.css
UserContent.css
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

That may not necessarily be the case any more?
You may actually have to create the directory.

(Pretty sure the userContent-example.css & userChrome-example.css are no longer created -there being a bug on that.)
frq wrote:Thats userchrome issue is Bug 1240798: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1240798

Don't not apply to 2.40 and for the current version is only a problem for new profiles. You just need to copy the userchrome files manually. There are still there. It will be fixed but likely not in the next version because a toolkit change is required. Not sure if its worth to back out the offending Mozilla bug in a special release branch und I wouldn't call it a blocker right now.
A bug, yes, but certainly no big deal.
You just create the directory & go from there.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

In userChrome.css, do not forget to put in the namespace line at the beginning.

Code: Select all

/* Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct functioning */
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");