javascript:void(0); links won't work

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jaytcsd

javascript:void(0); links won't work

Post by jaytcsd »

I can't get pages with javascript:void(0); links to work, happens on both a win2000 and XP pro PC, with or without zonealam on.
I have javascript enabled on the tools / option menu with all options checked.

I checked the javascript console and this is the only error I see.

Error: postamble is not defined
Source File: http://www.mozilla.org/support/
Line: 226

The javascript test page mentioned in the FAQ section works OK.

I searched the forum for "javascript:void(0);" and came up with 1957 matches, don't have time to read all the threads.

Post by Guest »

javascript:void(0) is an empty placeholder. It does nothing. The link you're having trouble with must have a click handler that does the actual work. This simply means that the situation is more complicated than you suspected.

One way or another it appears that some JavaScript is being called when you click that link, and that there's an error in the script. If this is really happening at www.mozilla.org/support/, then something very odd is going on because the string "postamble" appears nowhere in the source for that page.

In summary, the void(0) thing is not useful information. No one here can be expected to help you get to the root of the problem without a sample site and instructions for reproducing the error. If this really happens at the site you mentioned, then you have a proxy or firewall or some other third party piece of software that's injecting bad script into pages you download. You'll need to make it stop doing that.
MeirFirefox

Post by MeirFirefox »

Here is one sample website which javascrip won't work. (click on "play Movie")

http://www.negevtech.com/index.html
4u1e

Post by 4u1e »

As far as I know it just means that they've screwed up on their web design somewhere and produced javascript that only functions with IE. At least that's what I've always assumed it is.

The Javascript console reports a couple of errors on that page - but I'm not technically competent and have no idea what they mean!
lngoode

Re: javascript:void(0); links won't work

Post by lngoode »

I have the same problem... but only in firefox. IE the same pages work fine, for me it is any link on ANY site that requires a new window to be opened (so for example while doing online bill pay, most links to see a PDF of a statement work this way) chase.com ctabustracker.com bestbuy.com

I have java enabled and I even turned all of my pop up blockers off, installed new java, installed new firefox. Any additional thoughts? I know that it isn't the websites.
LIMPET235

Re: javascript:void(0); links won't work

Post by LIMPET235 »

Start a new thread please & leave these oldies to R.I.P.
Locking.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)