Seamonkey will not open Microsoft web page

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Ztruker

Seamonkey will not open Microsoft web page

Post by Ztruker »

I cannot open this site in Seamonkey, regular of Safe Mode. I have not tried a new profile, will do that now.

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

Works in Firefox and IE.

I keep getting an error message
We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.
Edit: Works with new profile. Now to figure out what is wrong with my current profile.
Rich
Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
BruceAWittmeier

Re: Seamonkey will not open Microsoft web page

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

First I would disable the top half of your addons and extensions. Restart the browser and try again.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

BruceAWittmeier wrote:First I would disable the top half of your addons and extensions. Restart the browser and try again.
Bruce, the first line of the post is probably meant to read 'regardless of SafeMode'. So...not extensions, but probably some setting in prefs.js in the old profile.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

Thanks Frank, that is what I meant to say. Change of to or and it reads better.

I created a new account and copied back a lot of the files from the old account, but not prefs.js or users.js.

I'll try those next.
Rich
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Ztruker wrote:Thanks Frank
No problem. These are the suggested files/folders to transfer over without risk of wrecking the new profile - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... o_transfer

However, with SeaMonkey you need to remember that your mail settings for the Email client are in prefs.js. So even if the rest of prefs.js was wrecked, you'd need to copy those mail settings into the new prefs.js.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Ztruker wrote:I cannot open this site in Seamonkey, regular of Safe Mode. I have not tried a new profile, will do that now.

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

Works in Firefox and IE.

I keep getting an error message
We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.
Something is broken on that page. At first it opened for me... but in German version (de-de). Previously MS sites (*.microsoft.com) were in Polish language (or English). SeaMonkey has set for preferred languages in this order: pl, en, en-us.

Strange thing is on (from?) second run I can see "sorry page" only. I've got automatic logon to MS sites with Live service. Something is broken and it is Microsoft fault...

EDIT: It must be something with cookies.

@Ztruker
Try to open it in "private window" (right click and choose "Open in a Private Window"):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

BTW
I wonder if they are screwing with geo-localization (or something based on IP) because from a few/several months some pages are trying to display themself in German language when previously I saw them in English (e.g. http://www.imdb.com/).
--
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

Well I'll be danged! Opens fine in a Private window. Why?
Many thanks, at least I can get there without having to switch to IE or Firefox.
Rich
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

That leads me to a question. What is the difference between a normal window and a Private window? Maybe if I understand that I can figure out what is wrong with my profile.
Rich
therube

Post by therube »

EDIT: It must be something with cookies.
Most likely that.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

When I delete all microsoft cookies, I can get to the link once. If I then close the tab and try the link again I get the
We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found message.
Rich
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Ztruker wrote:When I delete all microsoft cookies, I can get to the link once. If I then close the tab and try the link again I get the
Yep, reckon I can sort that.

Delete M$ cookies and open that site. Then left click the favicon in the addressbar and then it's Page Info > Permissions > Cookies > Block.

From then on cookies to that one site will be blocked, whilst all other sites will still stick with your default cookie choices.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Ztruker wrote:When I delete all microsoft cookies, I can get to the link once. If I then close the tab and try the link again I get the
Microsoft is telling to us "f*ck off" and "screw you guys"... ](*,)

:wink:
--
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

Thanks Frank, that did the trick. Opens all the time now.
Rich
Buzzrr

Post by Buzzrr »

Yeah I noticed that when I was going to post a similar question for MS Support site. Always came up blank even in safe mode. I then wrote out the message to be posted here, but tried to troubleshoot it beforehand (I sometimes end up finding my own answer as in this case). I found out that in the data manager (tools menu) under permissions, although the Microsoft web site wasn't being blocked Support was. Comes up fine every time now! :wink:
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Since Microsoft (intentionally?) broken Windows Update in Windows 7 to "encourage" users to upgrade to Windows 10 I'm using offline patches to fix my machines with Win7. Their solution are "cumulative roll-ups" with telemetry shit. Thanks but no thanks.

Offline patches I'm taking from official site:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletins

Unfortunately since last "patch day" I was forced to use "private window"trick to open patch specific site and download it. MS broke it intentionally IMO because few month ago it worked correct even with Live service logging in (in the same SeaMonkey 2.40). But first Live logging was "corrupted" and now it's not possible even to just open a website. And they call it "smart error"... SOB! ](*,)
--