Is 2.40 the last of the SeaMonkey updates?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
SixBurgh99

Is 2.40 the last of the SeaMonkey updates?

Post by SixBurgh99 »

I have not seen any new SeaMonkey meeting notes posted online for the last several months nor have we had any updates to the suite.
I have loved using this software for years now and HATE to see it abolished.

Is the SeaMonkey Suite project dead?
Frank Lion

Re: Is 2.40 the last of the SeaMonkey updates?

Post by Frank Lion »

SixBurgh99 wrote:Is the SeaMonkey Suite project dead?
No, it is just a project that sees no reason to update every 6 weeks for no reason, like Firefox.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
frg

Post by frg »

>> I have not seen any new SeaMonkey meeting notes posted online for the last several months

Seems you didn't look at the official site:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings

Next one a day later than usual on August 3.

FRG
SixBurgh99

Post by SixBurgh99 »

frg wrote:>> I have not seen any new SeaMonkey meeting notes posted online for the last several months

Seems you didn't look at the official site:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings

Next one a day later than usual on August 3.

FRG
Thank you for pointing me to the correct meeting notes link. Good to see the SM suite appears to be active! :D
Myhrddin

Post by Myhrddin »

In my thinking, SeaMonkey is the most direct descendant of Mosaic / Netscape / Mozilla. And, I don't think it's going anywhere .. if anything, it may actually be gaining some momentum. I have noticed that anyone I introduce to it quickly gets spoiled to it and afterwards doesn't want to go back to FireFox or anything else. Maybe that's just my experience but, I think that says a lot about it.. and it's future. :)
Joe1962

Post by Joe1962 »

Myhrddin wrote:I have noticed that anyone I introduce to it quickly gets spoiled to it and afterwards doesn't want to go back to FireFox or anything else.
I am seeing the same effect here, at least with anyone who gives it a chance for a couple of days...
SM (usually latest stable) on Linux Mint 19 x86_64.
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

Frank Lion wrote:
SixBurgh99 wrote:Is the SeaMonkey Suite project dead?
No, it is just a project that sees no reason to update every 6 weeks for no reason, like Firefox.
Which goes back to the old Mozilla ethos, of "We'll release it when it's ready". Only problem with that, won't there be
known security vulnerabilities that have been fixed in the Gecko codebase since then? Could there be of an interim
release that backports all recent security fixes before the next major release of SeaMonkey is ready to go public?
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

DJGM wrote: Which goes back to the old Mozilla ethos, of "We'll release it when it's ready". Only problem with that, won't there be
known security vulnerabilities that have been fixed in the Gecko codebase since then? Could there be of an interim
release that backports all recent security fixes before the next major release of SeaMonkey is ready to go public?
Ideally, that would be one that shares code with the most recent extended support release (ESR) of Firefox.
Problem is, that would be 2.42, and they haven't even gotten there yet - they've been having problems with the infrastructure for building releases.

If they can make it to 2.49 and get that working, the SM devs would have the option to keep going off of that branch for a year and include the Fx security updates. This is what Thunderbird does.
therube

Post by therube »

> Which goes back to the old Mozilla ethos, of "We'll release it when it's ready".

No, its more, we can't get the freakin build system working to be able to get a release out.
Further, if the build system were working, we would be more in step with FF - feature-wise (or you might say, bug-wise).

> won't there be known security vulnerabilities that have been fixed in the Gecko codebase since then?

Certainly. Start at 48 & go back to 44, Security Advisories for Firefox.

> Could there be of an interim release that backports all recent security fixes

I believe they've done that once before.
Haven't heard any talk like that of late though.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

The problem is with the build system indeed, but many issues have been solved recently, thanks to ewong's efforts. The last pending problem as I recall are the localization repacks. Going back to 2.42 ESR won't help at this point, given that the same problems would be seen with that release (and 2.45 is stable for a release).

And yes, everybody is well aware that 2.40 is behind quite a bit with security fixes by now...
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

another thing to consider rsx11m is if & when SM 2.45 stable comes out, will 2.45 be built using Visual Studio 2013 or Visual Studio 2015?
I ask because the official Firefox 48.0.x releases were still built using VS2013, not VS2015 (FF 48 had the msvcp120.dll & msvcr120.dll files bundled which are from MSVC+ 2013).
But the Firefox 49 betas were built using Visual Studio 2015 as they contain several runtime DLL files from MSVC+ 2015.

And note that building/creating SM thru VS2015 will require CPUs with SSE2 support as apps created in VS2015 will NOT run on legacy CPUs w/out SSE2.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

There is a comm-release tinderbox build dated August 12, which comes with msvcp120.dll and msvcr120.dll, so that would be 2013 indeed. A patch to transmit the client's machine capabilities to the update server has been checked in on all branches, I don't know though if SSE2 support is already enforced on the server side.
frg

Post by frg »

2.45 will be the last VS2013 build. Works fine with VS2015 but the official build fields would need to be changed. Due to a bug in VS2015 SSE2 support was needed but I think this will be required from 2.46 on. The bug has been fixed in VS2015 Update 3 but the SSE2 reuquirement will not be lifted.
Davebuntu

Post by Davebuntu »

I've used SM on and off for a long time and apart from a couple of minor bugs for me, it is pretty reliable. The freeware version of MBAE shields SM by default if anyone's worried about security vulnerabilities, plus there are SM add ons for security anyway. SpywareBlaster also covers SM. I always keep SM as it is very useful when Firefox throws a wobbler (I'm talking about you Fx 48.0.1 lol).
No Signature
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

rsx11m wrote:There is a comm-release tinderbox build dated August 12, which comes with msvcp120.dll and msvcr120.dll, so that would be 2013 indeed. A patch to transmit the client's machine capabilities to the update server has been checked in on all branches, I don't know though if SSE2 support is already enforced on the server side.
Well, I hope 2.45 final is better than this early version. Everything works well, but it won't send emails out. Not a clue, reverted immediately to 2.40 and all works as it should. XP PRO.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome