MozillaZine

What are these connections to localport at startup for?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Ewi

Post Posted December 9th, 2002, 6:07 am

I'm running Zonelabs Zonealarm and it is reporting that phoenix wants to access 127.0.0.1 on different ports (i.e. each time I start phoenix it connects to a different port). For what is this used? When I disallow connection to localport phoenix starts normal...

Thank you...

Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post Posted December 9th, 2002, 10:15 am

Ewi wrote:I'm running Zonelabs Zonealarm and it is reporting that phoenix wants to access 127.0.0.1 on different ports (i.e. each time I start phoenix it connects to a different port). For what is this used? When I disallow connection to localport phoenix starts normal...

They're use for internal communication between Phoenix and its Personal Security Manager component. It's not trying to do anything dodgy.
Alex

Ewi

Post Posted December 9th, 2002, 12:28 pm

Thank you for your answer.

But a question remains: Why is this done via IP and not via some kind of inter-process communication? Is this a tribute to cross plattform or is there a possibility to remote administer the security things?

Thank you again...

laszlo

Post Posted December 9th, 2002, 4:14 pm

Ewi

Post Posted December 10th, 2002, 9:16 am

Thank you very much.

As far as I can see this is marked as resolved/wontfix and the last post is from "Last modified: 2002-09-08 17:38". So I have to accept it as it is? I don't really understand why this is necessary under windows while it is not necessary under linux.
But I don't want to bother you... I mustn't blead, cause it's not my work. But I really think this is not something with that Mozilla/Phoenix is getting the trust of the people...

Thank you...

P.S.: Excuse my bad English

laszlo

Post Posted December 10th, 2002, 9:53 am

Ewi wrote:Thank you very much.

As far as I can see this is marked as resolved/wontfix and the last post is from "Last modified: 2002-09-08 17:38". So I have to accept it as it is?

Probably, yes.

Ewi wrote:P.S.: Excuse my bad English

Kein Problem, Ewi, wir haben alle unsere Probleme mit Englisch und ich denke alle haben Dich verstanden :wink:

Return to Firefox General