Seamonkey - Portable

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
eager to learn

Seamonkey - Portable

Post by eager to learn »

I wondered if anyone uses Seamonkey Portable?

If so, do you use the Portable Seamonkey Portable from here...

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/s ... y_portable

I'm trying to use a portable browser on a flash drive and thought Seamonkey might be a worthy candidate...unless others have found a better portable browser to use on a flash drive?

Thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions.
TPR75

Re: Seamonkey - Portable

Post by TPR75 »

I'm using Portable SeaMonkey from above site. By "using" I mean testing or checking how things looks in English version to help here.

I've got regular installation of SeaMonkey (Polish language) so to run portable (English) version in the same time I need "-no-remote" switch in shortcut.

There is no better portable browser because there is no better browser at all... IMHO! 8-)
--
eager to learn

Post by eager to learn »

Hi TPR75...Thank you for replying. I'm sorry my Polish is limited to restaurant menus items! :) I hope I can communicate this effectively. Can you set Portable SeaMonkey to POP so I could download my e-mails from a web server to the flash drive via Portable SeaMonkey? Thank you for your help.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

eager to learn wrote:Can you set Portable SeaMonkey to POP so I could download my e-mails from a web server to the flash drive via Portable SeaMonkey?
Yes. You can use it like normal/installed version.
--
eager to learn

Post by eager to learn »

Hi TPR75 - That would be wonderful. Could you possibly share the steps to making POP workable in Portable SeaMonkey? This looks very promising. Thank you!!
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

eager to learn wrote:Hi TPR75 - That would be wonderful. Could you possibly share the steps to making POP workable in Portable SeaMonkey? This looks very promising. Thank you!!
Example is Google Email

Account Name
your name
email address xxxxxxxx@gmail.com

Server Settings
Server Type POP Mail Server
Server Name
pop.gmail.com Port 995
Connection Security SSL/TLS
user name
Authentication normal password

Outgoing Server
smtp.gmail.com Port 465
Connection Server SSL/TLS
user name
Authentication normal password

IF this is Portable Apps Seamonkey Portable, then accept default locations for folders and they will all be placed inside your SeaMonkey Folder(s).
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
lvm

Post by lvm »

I might be late with my input, but why would someone want to download portable seamonkey from a 3rd-party site when there is the official mozilla version? - e.g. http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/re ... y-2.40.zip if you want the last official release with broken data manager or browse http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/ for all sorts of betas and past releases.
wpr

Post by wpr »

I've been using SeaMonkey Portable from PortableApps.com for quite a while, having used SeaMonkey since it first came out.

To lvm: would it make sense for me to download SM portable from the ftp.mozilla.org link you provided and copy my user folders (Windows 7) to the appropriate place in the new folder?

One advantage of using the PortableApps site is the latest version is right there, it does take some hunting to find it on the ftp.mozilla.org site.
frg

Post by frg »

>>
To lvm: would it make sense for me to download SM portable from the ftp.mozilla.org link you provided and copy my user folders (Windows 7) to the appropriate place in the new folder?
<<

No this is just the regular distribution which puts your data into your Window profile or home dir. If you want it portable eg. on an usb key use the portableapps version. Its there for a reason.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I might be late with my input, but why would someone want to download portable seamonkey from a 3rd-party site when there is the official mozilla version?
That would be because the version of SeaMonkey from the official site is not a portable version. The version from Portable Apps runs the same as the official version but installs differently, not putting the profile under a separate directory as the standard installation does.
James

Post by James »

wpr wrote:ITo lvm: would it make sense for me to download SM portable from the ftp.mozilla.org link you provided and copy my user folders (Windows 7) to the appropriate place in the new folder?
The .zip is just a archive for the same end result as the setups as you extract and run the seamonkey.exe vs using a setup installer and then running the seamonkey.exe. Mozilla used to have .zip along with the setups for Firefox Releases on Windows until Firefox 1.0.1. Crashes were occurring when people mixed the installer and zip builds in same folder so Firefox Releases ever since 1.0.2 has not had a .zip option.
lvm

Post by lvm »

frg wrote:>>
No this is just the regular distribution which puts your data into your Window profile or home dir. If you want it portable eg. on an usb key use the portableapps version. Its there for a reason.
Seamonkey puts your profile data where you tell it with the -profile switch. So the whole purpose of protableapps version is to avoid the creation of a single line batch file?
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

lvm wrote:
frg wrote:>>
Seamonkey puts your profile data where you tell it with the -profile switch. So the whole purpose of protableapps version is to avoid the creation of a single line batch file?
And you're absolutely sure that ZIP version will not create any record/entry in "c:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Local\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\" folder, hmm...? :-k

I don't have access to my PC with VirtualBox so I can't test it right now.
--
therube

Post by therube »

ZIP version
-profile switch
\AppData\Local\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\
Hadn't thought about that before (no reason for it to concern me), but thinking there could be a good chance that -profile would bypass anything %APPDATA% or similar.

Though it would not stop "SeaMonkey" entries from being entered into/affecting the (Windows) Registry (as minimal as they are in any case), which is something I'd expect "portableapps" to block.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

And here is the minimal that -profile does ...

Code: Select all

E:\Users\therube\AppData\Local\Mozilla\SeaMonkey
E:\Users\therube\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Extensions
E:\Users\therube\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey
E:\Users\therube\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Crash Reports
E:\Users\therube\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Crash Reports\events

E:\Users\therube\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Crash Reports\InstallTime20160120202951
All are newly created directories, except InstallTime... is a file.

(I did this by "interactively" renaming AppData/Local/Mozilla & AppData/Roaming/Mozilla, then starting SeaMonkey with the -profile switch, & on initial startup, that is what ended up, new.

I did not go further then that. Suspect profiles.ini will not be created, at all. Don't know if anything else will populate those directories. Oh, crash reports certainly would.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript