Strange entry in Location Bar with FF 43

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
TigerClaw

Re: Strange entry in Location Bar with FF 43

Post by TigerClaw »

dfoulkes wrote:Wellll... you are right... I use a diff. search engine and after you posted above I noticed... sure enough my search engine it up there... hmmm... I'll have to go back to see what that about:config code does at this end.

EDIT ... and if you click on that line it call on the default search engine and the what is typed into the loc-bar is passed to that search engine.... just more junk to get in the way.

EDIT2 ... I just tested something... if you uncheck the three boxes in Options/Privacy... the 3 listed under Location Bar... of course nothing will be listed... including that search related line.
That entry disappears, but the url history doesn't show up.

putting those checks back on makes the url appear again, but that entry above would appear also.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Yep... saw that in my test... so, it is linked to those options ... in a way... hopefully somebody will come along with a fix.... or we just learn to ignore it.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

dfoulkes wrote:Yep... saw that in my test... so, it is linked to those options ... in a way... hopefully somebody will come along with a fix.... or we just learn to ignore it.
I really hope someone finds a fix, cause its getting annoying seeing that.
Gusar

Post by Gusar »

There is no fix. You can hide the first item in the regular bar with a bit of code in userChrome.css, but the oldbar works completely differently, so the same trick won't work.

PS. The oldbar will stop working completely in version 51, so... yeah.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

jscher2000 wrote:Can I plug my user style here? https://userstyles.org/styles/122394/ur ... scroll-bar
That doesn't work, it still shows up.
Bozi7

Post by Bozi7 »

Userstyle works for me, but only if using the default search bar style (or the alternative appearance for it from Classic Theme Restorer). I don't really like either, I've always used oldbar, is there any way to get the userstyle working on it too?

Edit:
Gusar wrote:PS. The oldbar will stop working completely in version 51, so... yeah.
Why is this? Are they deprecating something useful yet again, and breaking oldbar in the process?
Gusar

Post by Gusar »

Bozi7 wrote:I don't really like either, I've always used oldbar, is there any way to get the userstyle working on it too?
As I said, no. The old bar works completely differently, it can't be styled with user styles.
Bozi7 wrote:
Gusar wrote:PS. The oldbar will stop working completely in version 51, so... yeah.
Why is this? Are they deprecating something useful yet again, and breaking oldbar in the process?
When they added the one-off searches to the new bar, the old bar got broken - you can type, but pressing enter or clicking with the mouse does nothing. Very possible that the breakage is unintentional.
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

If you find a fix, let us know.
Gusar

Post by Gusar »

At this point, I suggest you make friends with the new bar. I found out it is actually possible to style the old bar, but it's quite limited, you can't remove items, which is what we want here. So yeah, the new bar - I've been playing around, trying to make it look exactly like the old bar. I've come pretty close, I think:

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem:first-child {
  display: none !important;
}

#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem .ac-type-icon,
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem .ac-site-icon {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 0 !important;
}
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem .ac-url {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 1 !important;
  margin-inline-end: 6px !important;
  margin-top: -2px !important;
  font-size: 1em !important;
  color: inherit !important;
}
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem .ac-separator {
}
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem .ac-title {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 2 !important;
  color: GrayText !important;
}
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem .ac-tags,
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem .ac-action {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 3 !important;
}
}

#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem .ac-url-text, .ac-title-text {
  min-width: 50vw !important;
  max-width: 50vw !important;
}

#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult {
  margin-left: -18px !important;
}
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult .autocomplete-richlistitem {
  height: 18px !important;
  min-height: 18px !important;
}
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult .autocomplete-richlistbox {
  padding: 0 !important;
  margin: 0 !important;
  width: auto !important;
  max-width: 90vw !important;
}
Right at the top, we make the first item that you all hate disappear, that's the cool stuff 8-). Then we order the items as we want using -moz-box-ordinal-group (url first, title second) and also set their styling (urls should be black, titles gray, and they shouldn't be frikkin' huge :x). The last part is very important, the max-width setting, you'll need to adjust that one so that the size of the popup is the same size as your urlbar.

Note, this code goes into userChrome.css. If you're unfamiliar with that file, use the Stylish extension.
Last edited by Gusar on August 26th, 2016, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

What I want remove is the bars between the links on the list when I click the down arrow button on the url bar.
wosc

Post by wosc »

Gusar, thanks so much. I really think making the "new bar" look sensibly via CSS is the way to go.

By the way, do you have a pointer where to look for the "markup" that creates the new url bar? Just in case they change it in future versions and your marvellous CSS code needs to be updated?
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

Gusar wrote:At this point, I suggest you make friends with the new bar. I found out it is actually possible to style the old bar, but it's quite limited, you can't remove items, which is what we want here. So yeah, the new bar - I've been playing around, trying to make it look exactly like the old bar. I've come pretty close, I think:

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem:first-child {
}

#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem .ac-type-icon,
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem .ac-site-icon {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 0 !important;
}
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem .ac-url {
  moz-box-ordinal-group: 1 !important;
  color: inherit !important;
}
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem .ac-separator {
}
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem .ac-title {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 2 !important;
  color: GrayText !important;
}
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem .ac-tags,
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 3 !important;
}
}

#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem .ac-url-text, .ac-title-text {
  min-width: 50vw !important;
  max-width: 50vw !important;
}

#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult {
  margin-left: -18px !important;
}
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult .autocomplete-richlistitem {
  height: 18px !important;
  min-height: 18px !important;
}
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult .autocomplete-richlistbox {
  padding: 0 !important;
  margin: 0 !important;
  width: auto !important;
  max-width: 90vw !important;
}
Right at the top, we make the first item that you all hate disappear, that's the cool stuff 8-). Then we order the items as we want using -moz-box-ordinal-group (url first, title second) and also set their styling (urls should be black, titles gray, and they shouldn't be frikkin' huge :x). The last part is very important, the max-width setting, you'll need to adjust that one so that the size of the popup is the same size as your urlbar.

Note, this code goes into userChrome.css. If you're unfamiliar with that file, use the Stylish extension.
I just tried that, however it doesn't get rid of the lines between the links, and it doesn't have the scroll on the right like you would get when using Old Location Bar.
Gusar

Post by Gusar »

wosc wrote:By the way, do you have a pointer where to look for the "markup" that creates the new url bar? Just in case they change it in future versions and your marvellous CSS code needs to be updated?
The final look is put together from several different css files in the source, so it's quite tricky. I used a combination of the DOM Inspector extension, looking through the Firefox source code, and copying random code snippets than can be found here and there. And also lots of trial and error, can't go without that.
TigerClaw wrote:I just tried that, however it doesn't get rid of the lines between the links, and it doesn't have the scroll on the right like you would get when using Old Location Bar.
Hmm, I'm on Linux, so maybe I've missed some styling that's specific to Windows. It could also be that I'm using Nightly and things are different in the 48 release. I'll have a look at how things are in Windows, but I only have Win8.1 and things might be different in Win10.

Edit: No lines in Win8.1. About scroll, if you mean you want more results, then go to about:config and increase browser.urlbar.maxRichResults
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Just a FYI ... I installed Stylish into one of my test profile and saved the above code into a new record... visited a bunch of sites, clicked the down arrow on the Loc-bar and all I got was a single line... nothing listed... so, I guess there are enough diff's between Win and Linux to mess stuff up.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!