Strange entry in Location Bar with FF 43

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Gusar

Re: Strange entry in Location Bar with FF 43

Post by Gusar »

dfoulkes wrote:Just a FYI ... I installed Stylish into one of my test profile and saved the above code into a new record... visited a bunch of sites, clicked the down arrow on the Loc-bar and all I got was a single line... nothing listed... so, I guess there are enough diff's between Win and Linux to mess stuff up.
Ah, so it wasn't just me :). Trying to hide the "Search with" line hides everything. Don't ask me why. So, new code. Replace this part:

Code: Select all

#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem:first-child {
  display: none !important;
}
with this:

#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem[type*="heuristic"],
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem:first-of-type[actiontype="searchengine"],
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem[actiontype="visiturl"],
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem[actiontype="keyword"] {
  display:none !important;
}
If it won't work, remove the "searchengine" part (the second line in the above code). Now it should work, but of course with the "Search with" line.
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

Gusar wrote:
wosc wrote:By the way, do you have a pointer where to look for the "markup" that creates the new url bar? Just in case they change it in future versions and your marvellous CSS code needs to be updated?
The final look is put together from several different css files in the source, so it's quite tricky. I used a combination of the DOM Inspector extension, looking through the Firefox source code, and copying random code snippets than can be found here and there. And also lots of trial and error, can't go without that.
TigerClaw wrote:I just tried that, however it doesn't get rid of the lines between the links, and it doesn't have the scroll on the right like you would get when using Old Location Bar.
Hmm, I'm on Linux, so maybe I've missed some styling that's specific to Windows. It could also be that I'm using Nightly and things are different in the 48 release. I'll have a look at how things are in Windows, but I only have Win8.1 and things might be different in Win10.

Edit: No lines in Win8.1. About scroll, if you mean you want more results, then go to about:config and increase browser.urlbar.maxRichResults
I had it set to 200 to show more results, but I'm not getting the scroll, and I still have those lines.

Gusar

Post by Gusar »

@TigerClaw: That does not look like my code. It doesn't look like the default Firefox code either. You must have some extension or code somewhere that's screwing with things. Actually, it looks like you're using a theme. I have no clue how themes and user styles work together.
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

Gusar wrote:@TigerClaw: That does not look like my code. It doesn't look like the default Firefox code either. You must have some extension or code somewhere that's screwing with things. Actually, it looks like you're using a theme. I have no clue how themes and user styles work together.
You're right, I was using a theme, right now I switched back to the default theme and this is how it looks like, the lines are gone, but I still don't get the scroll, I have the setting in about:config set to 200, but don't have the scroll that normally appears on the right of the bar to scroll down the list.

dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Gusar
I replaced the code with the new code as you stated... in doing that I got zero records when I hit the down arrow... so, I went back and removed 'searchengine' line, saved the change and still did not get anything via the arrow...

I'm pretty much out of this now... I installed Stylish in my test profile just give the code a try... I've cleared it all out now....

Good luck.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

What I want is the scroll on the right side that lets me scroll down the list of links, I can only get that when using Old Location Bar.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

TigerClaw wrote:What I want is the scroll on the right side that lets me scroll down the list of links, I can only get that when using Old Location Bar.
Did you set a max-height? For example, for 10 visible rows:

#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult .autocomplete-richlistbox {
  max-height: calc(31px * 10) !important;
}
Gusar

Post by Gusar »

dfoulkes wrote:I replaced the code with the new code as you stated... in doing that I got zero records when I hit the down arrow... so, I went back and removed 'searchengine' line, saved the change and still did not get anything via the arrow...

I'm pretty much out of this now... I installed Stylish in my test profile just give the code a try... I've cleared it all out now....
Yeah, I'm out of ideas then. Just removing that line worked for me, but maybe it was a fluke. You can drop that entire code block so that nothing will get hidden, but hiding that stuff is kinda the point of this thread, so... yeah :)

@TigerClaw: Your Firefox appears to have several hacks applied to it, and they interfere with user styles, because that second pic you posted looks like the standard popup, without any styling applied to it. I suggest you try with a clean profile.
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

jscher2000 wrote:
TigerClaw wrote:What I want is the scroll on the right side that lets me scroll down the list of links, I can only get that when using Old Location Bar.
Did you set a max-height? For example, for 10 visible rows:

#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult .autocomplete-richlistbox {
  max-height: calc(31px * 10) !important;
}
Nope, where do I enter that?
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

I added that as a separate script and this is what happens, I still dont see the scroll bar.

Also it made that window appear more on the left passing the browser.

Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

I've tried this style on Linux using Stylish, copypasting the code throws an error in line 12

:12:27
Unknown property 'moz-box-ordinal-group'.  Declaration dropped.
removing that line gets rid of the error, however it doesn't result in the same pre-48 appearance: I still see no scrollbars in the url dropdown, also the "boxes" containing each entry in the dropdown list look more closely spaced, like there is no padding at all between them.
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

Don't know what happened, but the scroll bar is now showing up, and I'm not even using a user style script.

Gusar

Post by Gusar »

Ah, crap, there's indeed an error in the code, moz-box-ordinal-group doesn't exist, but -moz-box-ordinal-group does (note the dash at the beginning).

That the popup is a bit to the left is intentional, this provides the space for the "type icon" that shows whether the entry is a bookmark or an opened tab. It might be possible to move this icon to the right and then have the popup aligned properly with the urlbar, but my admittedly short experimentation with that was unsuccessful, trying to move the icon screwed up the layout of the other stuff.
Gusar

Post by Gusar »

Drumbrake wrote:however it doesn't result in the same pre-48 appearance: I still see no scrollbars in the url dropdown, also the "boxes" containing each entry in the dropdown list look more closely spaced, like there is no padding at all between them.
It's not meant to give the pre-48 appearance, it's meant to give an even older appearance, one that can be achieved using the oldbar extension.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

I forgot to check this thread recently...

I tried the latest collection of "oldbar style drop-down" rules from this post:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14683121

The first rule didn't work to hide the "search with" line for me, but switching the pseudoclass from :first-child to :first-of-type solved it:

#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem:first-of-type {
    display:none !important;
  }
I found the background color of the selected item a bit dark on Windows 7; the color may vary between OS'es. This brightens it slightly vs. the default:

.autocomplete-richlistitem[selected=true] {
    background-color: Highlight !important;
  }
Or any arbitrary color that contrasts well with black and gray could be designated.