Seamonkey Denied as Authorized Browser

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Dritz

Seamonkey Denied as Authorized Browser

Post by Dritz »

Hi,
I tried to log on to Chase Bank's website to pay my credit card bill like I do every month and have for years using Seamonkey. It wouldn't let me log on, said I had an out of date browser (I'm using 2.40). It gave me a list of the usual browsers like Safari, Chrome, Internet Explorer and Firefox and said I had to upgrade. I called Customer Service and basically the gist of the conversation was too bad, so sad. I sent an email to their Tech Support Dept. (had to use Chrome to log on) but I am not hopeful. I am sure others of you have had this same problem happen and I'm wondering what steps you took to resolve it so that you could continue with Seamonkey, assuming you've had success? Silly me but I am not going to change browsers to conform to Chase even if it means closing my account with them. Call me stubborn but I'll take Seamonkey over Chase any day. Thank you in advance. Sometimes don't you just feel like you are ](*,)!
JayhawksRock

Re: Seamonkey Denied as Authorized Browser

Post by JayhawksRock »

I guess you dont have IE on your system.... If the bank is like mine, they have old software for online transactions that they trust with no support for Mozilla. I have 2 choices, as you do. I chose to use IE 15 minute a month for my online banking
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
lvm

Post by lvm »

Seamonkey development, or should I say release queue somewhat stalled lately and 2.40 IS getting old. If they are smart about detecting old browsers and check just the version, upgrading to a newer beta or alpha may help, otherwise you might try an add-on for faking user-agent.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Dritz wrote:I am sure others of you have had this same problem happen and I'm wondering what steps you took to resolve it so that you could continue with Seamonkey, assuming you've had success?
Maybe here is a solution:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14638145
--
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

JayhawksRock wrote:I guess you dont have IE on your system.... If the bank is like mine, they have old software for online transactions that they trust with no support for Mozilla. I have 2 choices, as you do. I chose to use IE 15 minute a month for my online banking
I guess I'm just being stubborn but I don't see why I should have to conform to a business that I've used for many years via Seamonkey just because they decide to make changes that aren't compatible with my browser. I do have Chrome which is how I was able to send them a complaint so it's not like I can't get in "their" way if I choose to. But, I guess I have to decide. Their response, assuming they respond, will probably be the deciding factor.
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

TPR75 wrote:
Dritz wrote:I am sure others of you have had this same problem happen and I'm wondering what steps you took to resolve it so that you could continue with Seamonkey, assuming you've had success?
Maybe here is a solution:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14638145
Thank you for the link. I went to it and read it but unfortunately I don't know how to change the user agent and such. I tried to search for the answer to that but had no luck. My knowledge of Seamonkey's workings is rather basic I guess. :roll:
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Dritz wrote: I don't know how to change the user agent and such.
Type about:config in the address bar (where it now says http://forums.mozillazine.org/...)
search for "general.useragent"
if you don't see "general.useragent.override", right-click > New > String
name:

Code: Select all

general.useragent.override
value:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:48.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/48.0
otherwise, right-click it > Modify, and set the value as above.

This will change the useragent everywhere to Firefox 48.0 on Windows 7. If you want it specific to the one site you can set this for each individual domain. Like for (*.)example.com use name of general.useragent.override.example.com

EDIT This forum sometimes puts whitespace on the beginning of code tags. If you see that when copying/pasting, delete any leading whitespace, I didn't write it.
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

Thank you, Barbaz!
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

You're welcome! :D
anziani

Post by anziani »

I've been getting that same message from B of A for a year now. I just ignore it and sign in. They do accept Mozilla so I assume that SeaMonkey is a form of Mozilla. Have you actually been blocked from using the bank site?
Anziani
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Dritz is trying to log into the Chase website, which decided recently to block any browsers they don't like entirely, thus users can't even log on. See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3011201 for another thread on this topic.

Other sites may just complain but work correctly anyway, or some complain and give you a "light" version of their content with reduced functionality, or some may be broken entirely. Unfortunately, that's an old issue of poor website design.
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

Dritz wrote:Hi,
I tried to log on to Chase Bank's website to pay my credit card bill like I do every month and have for years using Seamonkey. It wouldn't let me log on, said I had an out of date browser (I'm using 2.40). It gave me a list of the usual browsers like Safari, Chrome, Internet Explorer and Firefox and said I had to upgrade. I called Customer Service and basically the gist of the conversation was too bad, so sad. I sent an email to their Tech Support Dept. (had to use Chrome to log on) but I am not hopeful. I am sure others of you have had this same problem happen and I'm wondering what steps you took to resolve it so that you could continue with Seamonkey, assuming you've had success? Silly me but I am not going to change browsers to conform to Chase even if it means closing my account with them. Call me stubborn but I'll take Seamonkey over Chase any day. Thank you in advance. Sometimes don't you just feel like you are ](*,)!
It is very easy and simple to get around their denying SeaMonkey.

Install User Agent Switcher: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... er/?src=ss. (Or you can install some other UA switcher extension. I like this one and have used it for many years on Fx and Pale Moon and was glad to see it become available on SeaMonkey).

Next, go to http://techpatterns.com/forums/about304.html and follow the instructions to add the most recent user agent list. You should also read the author's help page:
http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/help/

Once you have the latest UA list installed then from Tools/Default User Agent on the menu list click on Browsers - Windows and choose a recent Fx version.

Then visit chaseonline login page. I had no problems logging in faking the UA as Fx 40 on Windows 10 (I am really on Windows 8 Pro and SeaMonkey 2.40). Security wise I cringe at Chase for not understanding user agent faking but at the same time I am glad they don't since their ignorance means its easy to get around their banning of SeaMonkey.
therube

Post by therube »

> I've been getting that same message from B of A for a year now.

Right.

> I just ignore it and sign in.

Right.

But who knows, maybe at some point, they'll pull a Chase.
After all, they are already half way there.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript