Search Engine bug - any "stable" builds available?

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
Lemon Juice

Search Engine bug - any "stable" builds available?

Post by Lemon Juice »

I haven't found anyone mention this bug but for me it's quite serious - I've tried various builds of 2.45 including the one from "12-Aug-2016 04:12" at https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/n ... m-release/ and also some latest 2.46 and they also have this bug. The search engine changes from my default Google to Duckduckgo and I can't change it back to Google or anything else - the preference gets saved but stil Duckduckgo remains as the search engine. The only method I found is to delete Duckduckgo then Google becomes the search engine - but then I can't choose yet another engine and when I try to re-install Duckduckgo SM says a search engine with this name already exists. The same problems are in a fresh profile. Is there a bug for this? It looks like 2.45 release is coming soon and I wouldn't like it to be released with such an unpleasant bug.

At the moment I'm trying to find a relatively stable SM release for every day usage that would be more modern than 2.40.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
isaacschemm

Re: Search Engine bug - any "stable" builds available?

Post by isaacschemm »

This is bug 1265881. It won't be fixed in time for 2.45 unfortunately, but they'll mention the bug in the release notes.

In the meantime, you can change your default search engine using the Search sidebar tab instead.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Thanks, yes this is it and using the sidebar indeed changes the default search engine - which makes me wonder this might be just a simple prefs saving bug but Philip Chee in the bug report suggests it is a more serious issue.
frg

Post by frg »

If you enable the search bar you can also change it there by just clicking on the icon.

Setting an independent default search engine is gone. We would either need to fork the whole old code or live with it. I suspect it will be the later because the search is also used in some toolkit parts. Don't expect a fast fix.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

What do you mean by independent default search engine? I'm not up to date with recent changes so don't know what the difference is. As far as I can see I can change the default search engine in the search bar or sidebar so there still is a default search engine, isn't there?

Whatever internal changes have happened - wouldn't it be a sufficient solution/workaround to change the default search engine option in Preferences to behave just like the option in the search bar and sidebar? Currently, that preference option is broken so I think making it behave like the one in the sidebar should be good enough.
frg

Post by frg »

The current engine is now also the default engine. When the current engine changes it becomes the default. I too didn't look closely what changed under the hood but there were also some changes when it comes to search providers so its not done with just flipping a pref. I am quite sure as soon as someone finds some time it will get fixed one way or the other just not for 2.45.

FRG
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

I see, so there was a default engine and current engine, which could be separate but now there is only the current engine, which is the default.

Interestingly, I just checked and this was already broken in 2.40 although to a tiny bit lesser extent - in 2.40 the default engine preference was already broken since changing it didn't do anything, I also had to change it using the sidebar or search bar. The subtle difference was that the pref was saved and remembered and it reflected the actual state after the engine was changed in the side bar. However, it was non-functional like in 2.45. What drew my attention in 2.45 was that the engine on its own switched from Google to Duckduckgo. If someone doesn't use the search bar or sidebar (like me) then they can have unpleasant surprise after upgrading to 2.45.

I don't know what is the decided course of action here but I think the default engine preference option should be simply changed to reflect and save the same thing as the search bar and sidebar. If it's something as simple as using a different pref then I might be able to create a fix for that - but if it's not (as Phillip Chee suggests) then I'll probably give up.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Noticed that bug myself. :-k
Perhaps using the search bar until the bug is fixed would be a good idea.
I'm able to set Yahoo as my default search engine whilst using SeaMonkey 2.45
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f23/L ... y0n6ap.png
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f23/L ... s699dj.png
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

LuvKomputrs wrote:Perhaps using the search bar until the bug is fixed would be a good idea.
I don't need to now that I know I can change the engine in the sidebar when needed, I don't do it often. It's no problem now - it was just tricky not knowing first how to get rid of that duckduckgo that suddenly set itself as the default. I use ctrl+shift+S to load the search page and prefer the bigger letters and bigger input field than the search bar.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

@Lemon Juice good to know! :)
Kinda like the duckduckgo search engine. ;)
Am used to using the search bar myself whilst using SeaMonkey.
Glad to see that using ctrl+shift+S was able to solve the issue for you. :D
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Why am I not having a problem with search engine plugins, then? Whatever search engine plugin I set in the searchbar is the one that gets used. I removed all the ones that came with SeaMonkey and got the ones I use from Mycroft Projects.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Anonymosity wrote:Why am I not having a problem with search engine plugins, then? Whatever search engine plugin I set in the searchbar is the one that gets used.
Because you are using the search bar. The problem occurs when setting the default search engine in preferences.
Zerebralus

Post by Zerebralus »

I thought this bug has been fixed, but still problems with different search engines. default search engine in prefs is google, and after restarting or starting the Browser DuckDuck... is the present search engine :-(
therube

Post by therube »

Shows as fixed in 2.50. Unfortunately we're not there yet.

As is, Search can be changed from the Sidebar or Edit | Preferences, or the Search box, & should persist.

Actually, from what I can see, all is working?
The Search box & searching from the URLbar are now (& have been) one been in the same, every since FF changed on their end.

Preferences not saved
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
frg

Post by frg »

Target is 2.50 but if there are tracking flags in the bug check them too.

Fixed since (unreleased) 2.47. Anything weird now is either a new bug or a limitation.

+++ snip +++
status-seamonkey2.47: fixed
tracking-seamonkey2.48: ?
status-seamonkey2.48: fixed
tracking-seamonkey2.49esr: ?
status-seamonkey2.49esr: fixed
tracking-seamonkey2.50: +
status-seamonkey2.50: fixed