Problems with Yahoo Sign in

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
yellowhorsevet

Problems with Yahoo Sign in

Post by yellowhorsevet »

I have been having a problem the past few days being able to sign in to yahoo on my FF computer browser. It seems to correlate to the latest Firefox Security update.
Essentially, yahoo.com will open in my browser but when I click "sign in", to be able to access my email account or groups, it opens another window which is white screen blank, and then returns the following error message:

"The connection has timed out
The server at login.yahoo.com is taking too long to respond.
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."
[This is what appears in the address bar once the problem message is displayed - https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.s ... .yahoo.com]

I have cleaned my FF cache, deleted all cookies, disabled all Add-Ons in FF (opened in Safe Mode). I even tried to follow the Yahoo help flow chart, but even through Yahoo Help, nothing will open to allow me to attempt a "fix". It seems to be stuck in an endless loop of trying to open and ultimately fails.
A Google search has produced nothing even remotely related.

Any suggestions out there?
dfoulkes

Re: Problems with Yahoo Sign in

Post by dfoulkes »

You've covered pretty much the standard routines for this kind of issue... so, you might give these two test out of the way... please let us know the results...

In this new profile (it does not affect our old one) ... test it as-is...
Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.

If still not working... try rebooting you PC into safe-mode with Network active... remember... no AV software is running at this time... visit Yahoo...

And BTW ... no Yahoo issues here.

Note... you might want to see what happens using IE too.
Last edited by dfoulkes on September 2nd, 2016, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
yellowhorsevet

Post by yellowhorsevet »

Thanks so much for trying to help dfoulkes. Cute kitty btw!

Unfortunately, none of your suggestions did the trick. New Profile made no difference and rebooting in Safe-mode w/ Network active did not either.
I had tried both Chrome and IE prior to posting this morning and got the same results in both - Chrome gave the same timed out message and IE said page can't be displayed.
Pretty much the only place I can get it to work correctly is my phone and that doesn't do me much good. :-(

I am so sorry you too are having Yahoo issues. Perhaps it is their problem after all but with it opening on my phone, I have to think that's not as likely.
Maybe someone else has another idea...
tsor

Post by tsor »

Have you tried a backdoor in another country? E.g. https://login.yahoo.com/config/mail?.intl=uk No difficulties to sign in here in Europe.
Following links are working: https://login.yahoo.com/ https://uk.mail.yahoo.com/ https://mail.yahoo.com/
yellowhorsevet

Post by yellowhorsevet »

Thanks Tsor. None of your links work for me either, unfortunately. I still get the same end result.
Guessing it's either me or hopefully, Yahoo.
Thanks anyway/
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I am so sorry you too are having Yahoo issues. Perhaps it is their problem after all but with it opening on my phone, I have to think that's not as likely.
Maybe someone else has another idea...
Due to a typing error (fixed now) ... you figured that I was having issues with Yahoo... nope...
I had tried both Chrome and IE prior to posting this morning and got the same results in both - Chrome gave the same timed out message and IE said page can't be displayed.
Pretty much the only place I can get it to work correctly is my phone and that doesn't do me much good.
Since you can't connect with those other browsers... it sure sounds like this in not a Firefox-specific issue then... if I were you I'd contact your ISP and have a chat with them... and modems and routers can get their working-memory messed up at times and cause stuff like this... but talk to your ISP about that.

One last thing that I suggest... bring down a portable version of Firefox and put it into a new Folder of your choice... something like Portable or ?? ... and try it with that version... use it as-is...
Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Seeing as there are multiple browsers exhibiting the same problem,
this is getting moved to the Tech. forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
yellowhorsevet

Post by yellowhorsevet »

Dfoulkes:
Thanks for the suggestion.
I could download and install the Portable Apps Platform Software onto a USB drive, but when trying to then download Mozilla Portable from there, I get this Note: Unable to download file due to proxy or network issue or the hosting server not permitting downloads from your location. File:http://downloads.sourceforge.net/portab ... sh.paf.exe.

My ISP is cable/broadband and they are reporting no issues with their end - pinging router, etc - so I'm left at a loss for now. (knowing how helpful Tier 1 network support can sometimes be)
Could be a router/modem functionality issue - haven't pursued that yet.
At this point I'm stalled. Thanks for trying to help, however.

Thanks for your help so far. Will keep you posted as I make a few more tests over the weekend.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I could download and install the Portable Apps Platform Software onto a USB drive, but when trying to then download Mozilla Portable from there, I get this Note: Unable to download file due to proxy or network issue or the hosting server not permitting downloads from your location. File:http://downloads.sourceforge.net/portab ... sh.paf.exe.
Not sure that I understand the above... you were able to download/install it to a USB connected to your computer... but then you say "but when trying to then download Mozilla Portable from there" ... there being from a USB? ... or what? ... and if you have it on a USB connected to your computer, have you tried running it from it?

I will also say this... a few years ago I was having some network problems... not the same as you, but kind of like it... anyway, I called up my ISP and after I outlined my problem the tech. remotely got into my modem/router and saw that the units OS was scrambled... he remotely did a factory reset on it and then it worked... I asked him what the deal was... he stated that like all computer hardware... things can get messed up inside and all it takes is one little hiccup in the unit to mess its 'mind' up... anyway, just thought I'd point that out...
yellowhorsevet

Post by yellowhorsevet »

Dfoulkes:
Sorry - I may have been typing faster than my brain was following along. I will try to be more clear.

Successfully downloaded/installed Portable Apps Platform onto a USB flash drive connected to my computer. Was able to then open the Portable Apps Platform from same flash drive and use their "search feature" to select Mozilla Firefox portable to download - again to same flash drive. (have plenty of space on the drive)
{adding here that I could not directly download Mozilla portable from Sourceforce due to the timeout error message, so followed their statement that it works best through downloading the Portable Apps Platform...wording below the download box on the linked page you sent "Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition works best with the PortableApps.com Platform"}

When I attempt to download Mozilla Portable, using the Portable Apps Platform, the process begins but then I get the error message that I included in the previous post - "Unable to download file due to proxy or network issue...etc."

I like your idea on the modem/router factory reset through the ISP and will definitely try that approach this week. I'm going to wait until after the holiday weekend though.
Perhaps it may also be time to upgrade my router and/or change modems.

I will keep this thread updated with my findings.
Thanks again for your thoughts/help!
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Another possibility could be your security software. What antivirus are you using?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Daifne wrote:Another possibility could be your security software. What antivirus are you using?
The OP rebooted the PC into safe-mode for testing (failed too) ... isn't all AV software off during safe-mode? ... but I suppose that a firewall could mess stuff up?

From yellowhorsevet
{adding here that I could not directly download Mozilla portable from Sourceforce due to the timeout error message, so followed their statement that it works best through downloading the Portable Apps Platform
I too use that platform but before I installed it I never has any issues with downloading Firefox by itself to either a flash drive or my hard disc... I don't know what is going on in your system but it is 'system' related... talk to you ISP.... at least get that cleared out oof the to-do bucket.
yellowhorsevet

Post by yellowhorsevet »

Issue Solved!
Thank you all for your help - especially dfoulkes!

What I did was as dfoulkes suggested - contacted ISP last night and asked for them to factory reset the modem. In discussion with the tech, realized they (ISP) had recently upgraded the speeds available and ultimately, I would need to get a new modem to handle them. (old one was outdated) ISP tech did reset modem from his end and all was working last night. This morning I began having server time out issues randomly again. (different web pages than before, although yahoo again was fussy with the login page)

So off to Best Buy, picked up a new modem, connected it - with ISP's help -and issue has been solved!
I have to assume my old modem's internal OS was just showing it's age.
At any rate, I'm up and working - and even got Mozilla Portable installed too! (great addition dfoulkes - thank you for sharing that link)

So, add this to the "things that can happen" file if anyone ever has this issue again. It might just be your equipment. LOL
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

(old one was outdated) ISP tech did reset modem from his end and all was working last night. This morning I began having server time out issues randomly again. (different web pages than before, although yahoo again was fussy with the login page)
Or... since the device was 'old' it may have just worn out some part of it..who knows... anyway, glad it all worked out....

You're Welcome! :D