Theme & Font Changer Addon

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Frank Lion

Re: Theme & Font Changer Addon

Post by Frank Lion »

pepegot1 wrote:Frank, I unzipped into the profile default folder, but "Theme & Font Changer" is still not working.
I Click on Tools, but no option shows up for the Addon.
It won't work, I'm not trying to get it to work.

I'm the guy who 3 years before this extension appeared in 2010, wrote the first ever UI font size changing extension as a series of options in the sidebar for Ken Saunders. I'm doing this stuff another, simpler, way as an emergency workaround.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

kls490 wrote:I followed those 4 steps you referred to. Since I no longer have the Theme and Font Size Changer Addon installed, I'm trying to remember just what the settings I had in it were. To the best of my recollection, the settings were as follows:

ZOOM level: 1
Font text: Everything shown in BOLD.
Font STYLE: I believe it was TAHOMA.
Font SIZE: was either 13.5 or 14.
Hi Pete,

#1. Download this file, by right clicking and selecting 'Save As..' - http://franklion.co.uk/UI-font/userChrome.css

#2. Copy and paste that file into the new chrome folder that you created in your profile (overwriting the userChrome.css file that is already in there). Restart Firefox and you're done.

I can do other fancy bits if needed, including the look of webpages, but that should get you back in the game for now.

Incidentally, I wrote above as this being a workaround, but actually it's a bit more than that. That file I've sent you is independent of the whole extension system and will work, even if that original extension never works again. In other words, you'll never have to worry about this ever again.

Frank.
Last edited by Frank Lion on September 13th, 2016, 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
kls490

Post by kls490 »

Hi Frank,

[My INITIAL post]:

Thank you very much for the follow-up info!

I'm having a little problem with Step # 1. When I click on the link, all that happens is 4 lines of code appear in a new window (i.e. 3 lines of code, a blank line, then a 4th line of code). There is nothing to indicate it is a file, nor do I get the usual dialog box asking me if/where I want to save (a file) at.

If I right-click on the page, there is an option which says, "Save page as..."

[UPDATE]: O.k....I decided to try the "Save page as..." to put the code you provided on my Desktop. I then followed the rest of your instructions, i.e. copying and pasting it in the Chrome folder created yesterday. It successfully overwrote the existing file in that folder, and upon restarting FF just now...VOILA - SUCCESS!! =D>

The sidebar/bookmarks and tabs at the top of the screen are once again being displayed just like they were previously (before the problem with the Theme and Font Size Changer Addon occurred). I can read everything again!!! :mrgreen:

Also, thank you for the info that this fix you provided will continue working, even if the Addon in question never does again. (At my age and health, I try to keep things as simple as possible and stay with what works, for me).

THANK YOU so very much for all your time and help in making this 'old man's' *computer/Internet-life* better once again! :D

Kind regards,

Pete
Last edited by kls490 on September 13th, 2016, 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Specs: Dell Inspiron Desktop | Win 7 Home Premium SP1 x64 | 6 GB RAM | 3.06 gHz CPU | 1 TB WD HDD | MSE | MBAM Premium (lifetime license) | FF w/ NoScript | uBlock Origin | SAS (on-demand)
Gubbio

Post by Gubbio »

N/M
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Version 48.5 of TFSC is out. Try updating.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

kls490 wrote:THANK YOU so very much for all your time and help in making this 'old man's' *computer/Internet-life* better once again! :D
Hi Pete,

No problem, glad to help.

I figured you'd find it easier just to add that file, rather than you having to edit the original userChrome.css file there. I've now edited my above post to mention the need to right click and select 'Save As' for that new file. :P

Frank
alpine5536

Post by alpine5536 »

Version 48.5.......Just updated and it appears to be fixed.
hschaars42

Post by hschaars42 »

Does it automatically update because if it does, mine is still at 48.4.
Gubbio

Post by Gubbio »

hschaars42 wrote:Does it automatically update because if it does, mine is still at 48.4.
On my system, it's been updating automatically and opening a new tab (not a pop-up) announcing the update.

It did it this AM when the new update came through. Was glad to see it! =D>
hschaars42

Post by hschaars42 »

I guess I just have to wait...
alpine5536

Post by alpine5536 »

Don't have to wait...just go to add on page under extensions and right click on it and update.
hschaars42

Post by hschaars42 »

I didn't have to do that. It already updated.