Time to say Good Bye.......

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
mpetva

Time to say Good Bye.......

Post by mpetva »

Dear Seamonkey,

Sadly, after a long time of using you as my go to browser, the time has come for me to say good bye to you, my Seamonkey.....

It is breaking my heart to do this, but I am tired and discouraged due to your slow loading pages, the constant freezes, videos not loading, restore pages not working (coming up with blank pages) etc.

I have tried everything I can to fix your issues. Did tons of research (here on forum and elsewhere), set up new profile(s), uninstalled (and cleaned bits and pieces) and reinstalled SM more than once, turned off ad blocker plus, turned off all add ons, cleared cache(s), cleared histories and more.....nothing works. I had the same problems in Windows XP and they got worse after upgrading to W10.

So, I am now searching the web for a replacement for you. I want another Modzilla based browser that is reliable and easy to use like you, used to be, my Seamonkey...The way you used to work.......

Good bye
Maybe we will meet again.....

I already use Chrome, Firefox, Iron, Opera and Maxthon (for different user IDs), so those are out.

Goodbye my favorite Seamonkey friend. I will miss you......
therube

Re: Time to say Good Bye.......

Post by therube »

I already use Chrome, Firefox, Iron, Opera and Maxthon (for different user IDs), so those are out.
Not leaving yourself too many options now are you.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

therube wrote:
Not leaving yourself too many options now are you.
Links in graphics mode. Only thing left.
therube

Post by therube »

Or Lynx in text mode.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
jwjones

Post by jwjones »

There's at least a few more to try: PaleMoon, Brave, Vivaldi. On Mac OS, Safari is actually a surprisingly good browser.

For Linux there's some other interesting options: surf, dwb, xombrero, dillo.

Anymore, it seems that ALL browsers suck, it's just a matter of finding the one that sucks the least, for your particular needs. Or maybe it's the WWW that sucks, as it continuously evolves into a medium for commerce and content consumption, with information tailored for touch-screen devices, instead of PCs.
mpetva

Post by mpetva »

Thanks everyone :-) It's just a shame that I even have to try to find a replacement for Seamonkey. It worked so great for a while and then it went down hill :-(
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

mpetva wrote:I am tired and discouraged due to your slow loading pages, the constant freezes, videos not loading, restore pages not working (coming up with blank pages) etc.

I have tried everything I can to fix your issues. Did tons of research (here on forum and elsewhere), set up new profile(s), uninstalled (and cleaned bits and pieces) and reinstalled SM more than once, turned off ad blocker plus, turned off all add ons, cleared cache(s), cleared histories and more.....nothing works. I had the same problems in Windows XP and they got worse after upgrading to W10.
You clearly know the right way how to troubleshoot this stuff. You tried all that on this build? https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~aka ... windows32/
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

@mpetva
I wouldn't give up on SeaMonkey completely as of yet.
A new version is coming out very soon.
Been using SeaMonkey for many, many years and I'm not having the issues you've been having whilst using the browser.
Also recommend the browser to many clients. I'm in IT.
Have you done anything in about:config in trying to clear up those issues that you were having?
Have you gone into %appdata% to clear any folders with respect to SeaMonkey and in regedit for the registry keys referring to SeaMonkey?
And you mentioned that you had the same problems with XP and now Windows 10?
It can also be something with your hardware/software configuration(s) and the settings in your OS e.g. contol panel: internet options, memory settings, etc.
And the connectivity that you have with your ISP can indeed affect the browser performance.
And it's not always the browser having issues that can be the only problem.
And good luck to you on your browser search and I hope that you might be able to say Hello to SeaMonkey once again.
mpetva

Post by mpetva »

LuvKomputrs,
Thank you for your reply.
I am more than willing to try everything possible to keep SM as my main browser, but, sadly, I do not know what to do or check in the about:config or the %appdata% (not sure where to find that one). If someone can lead me through it I am willing to give it a shot.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

m, If you haven't already, you might check to see if your anti-virus/security processes might be the culprit(s).
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

mpetva wrote:.... Sadly, after a long time of using you as my go to browser, the time has come for me to say good bye to you, my Seamonkey.....

It is breaking my heart to do this, but I am tired and discouraged due to your slow loading pages, the constant freezes, videos not loading, restore pages not working (coming up with blank pages) etc.

How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

mpetva wrote:LuvKomputrs,
Thank you for your reply.
I am more than willing to try everything possible to keep SM as my main browser, but, sadly, I do not know what to do or check in the about:config or the %appdata% (not sure where to find that one). If someone can lead me through it I am willing to give it a shot.
Information for %appdata% :

%appdata% is the command to get access to your application data folder
AppData is a folder in your Windows user account home folder, and Roaming is a folder within that. AppData\Roaming is where programs on your machine store data that is specific to your user account. The folder is normally hidden, and lives within your user account home folder. As an example, on one of my machines the full path would be:
c:\Users\Username\Appdata\Roaming
Click on your windows icon on your taxbar and then type run.
Or you can use search.
Type the following command %appdata%
You should see a file folder called Mozilla amongst the folders.
This will have a folder called SeaMonkey in it.
You should delete that folder if you want a complete clean install of SeaMonkey after uninstalling it.
*I've done this many, many times with no issues*
If you need to reinstall SeaMonkey.
Always make a backup copy of your folders before making any changes so you can easily revert if you do something wrong.
Be sure to make backups of your bookmarks too.
I have my bookmarks backed up on both of my computers and on a usb stick, including my back up folders for AppData.

about:config :

about:config

This information can also be used for SeaMonkey browser as well.

Hopes this helps you and happy computing! :)
Last edited by LuvKomputrs on September 25th, 2016, 3:37 pm, edited 16 times in total.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

@mpetva you can also use about:cache

Information about the Network Cache Storage Service:

memory

Number of entries: 31
Maximum storage size: 24576 KiB
Storage in use: 69 KiB
Storage disk location: none, only stored in memory
List Cache Entries

disk

Number of entries: 630
Maximum storage size: 358400 KiB
Storage in use: 14429 KiB
Storage disk location: C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\d1yht3h8.default\Cache
List Cache Entries

appcache

Number of entries: 0
Maximum storage size: 512000 KiB
Storage in use: 0 KiB
Storage disk location: C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\d1yht3h8.default\OfflineCache

Hopes this helps you and happy computing! :)
Last edited by LuvKomputrs on September 25th, 2016, 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

@mpetva
Another thing that can affect computer and browser performance is how hardware acceleration is set.
As an example whilst viewing a video, etc.

Disable Hardware Acceleration in Windows 10/8/7

Hopes this helps you and happy computing! ;)
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Peter Creasey wrote:m, If you haven't already, you might check to see if your anti-virus/security processes might be the culprit(s).
That's also a good thing to check as well.
Quite a few a anti-virus programs can indeed affect your browser performance too.
I use Bitdefender myself and have found it's light on system resources and hasn't impeded my browser's performance for both Firefox and SeaMonkey.