how to close a frozen tab which is blocking all others ?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Michael REMY

how to close a frozen tab which is blocking all others ?

Post by Michael REMY »

hi,

sometimes i fall on a bad webpage which contains a crappy javascript script which blocks all the seamonkey other tab. no respond, i have to kill the process instance (then i lose all (currents downloads and also webpages in work) .

is there a way to close only a frozen tab without closing the others ?

when seamonkey is frozen, i can still launch another seamonkey instance application but the new one does not display the old tabs (i have have two seamonkey process with one which uses too many memory and cpu resources due to crappy javascript), so i can go into about:config special features....

is there a way to kill a tab from another seamonnkey instance ??
Frank Lion

Re: how to close a frozen tab which is blocking all others ?

Post by Frank Lion »

Michael REMY wrote:is there a way to close only a frozen tab without closing the others ?
Yep, just close the tab. If you've got enough CPU left to open another instance as you say, then you've got enough to close the tab.

I use the SeaFox extension, which provides tab close buttons, and it might take a few clicks but eventually that out of control tab will close and leave the others intact.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

There is no way to kill an individual tab.

You might be able to get a tab to close with Ctrl+W.
Might have to be Ctrl+W, Ctrl+W, Ctrl+W, Ctrl+W, Ctrl+W, ... kind of thing.
If you're lucky the Ctrl+W will get through I close the tab.

Likewise you might be able to close the particular window, Alt+F4 (Ctrl+Shift+W).
And again, it might be tough to do or might require multiple attempts before it "gets through".

If you have access to other windows, disabling JavaScript might help.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

so, my explaination was bad, so you missenderstood me.
seamonkey is frozen (due to a bad tab), so i can't close it! i even can make seamonkey in foreground once it is in background (windows).

but i can run another seamonkey instance application (so i have two seamonkey in my windows bar), but i can act in the frozen one.

i'm wondering if there is a tweak, a hidden feature in about:config to close the tab from another instance.
therube

Post by therube »

Yes I understand what you're saying.
There is no way to kill an individual tab.
Nor from another instance of SeaMonkey.

There are some programs that do offer the ability to run multiple instances, to get a "task list" of all instances & break or kill.

(With my [momentary] look at FF e10's, I'm not sure that individual windows are enumerated, so you might not even be able to kill individual windows there? Maybe some on the #devtools end, but I wouldn't know?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

hello world!

i solved a part of my problem :

To not lose the current download after a crash-freeze tab.

So here my method which work under SM2.4 , windows 7 x64 pro updated.

when all is freozen due to a buggy webpage (crappy js i guess) in a tab, you still can run the task manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL keys)
when the task maanger is display, do nothing, i discovered windows is not frozen, so just start another seamonkey instance (just clic on your icon from start menu or desktop)
After that, the frozen state is back (like the other SM instance plays with the frozen one), so redo a task manager
when the task manager is displayed, kill the old seamonkey task ONLY (not the second instance) . BE CAREFUL, you need to kill the task from the application tab (first one), DO NOT kill the task from the process tab (because it will close each SM instance and the download manager).
then after that, you can see the download manager is safe, nothing is lose or stop; the new SM instance is not frozen, and all is went back to normal, you just have to reopen your tab...

still not solve :
only close the problemate-buggy tab without all the tabs