[Ext] Cookie Controller, now with DOM storage

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
amoe

Re: [Ext] Cookie Controller, now with DOM storage

Post by amoe »

I've been using Cookie Controller for a year or so and I really love it. Recently I started having issues with saving cookie permissions. Any permissions I saved were gone after quitting and restarting FF. I exported my cookie settings and tried many things to resolve this. But it seems to be some kind of issue with the export file itself. Once I install CC and import the XML file, that profile then becomes permanently subject to this issue. Disabling CC afterwards doesn't bring back my ability to manually add exceptions. Possibly I've flipped some kind of secret setting that just discards any preferences that I made during the browsing session? The exported options are below. I get the same behaviour with Firefox 44, 45, 48, and 49. Using Debian unstable.

Code: Select all

<pref name='extensions.cookieController.filterPermissions' type='128' value='true'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.confirm' type='128' value='true'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.onSession' type='128' value='false'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.hideTidy' type='128' value='true'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.permissionExpires' type='32' value='0'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.sessionOnlyCount' type='64' value='0'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.reloadAll' type='128' value='false'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.offVisited' type='128' value='false'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.offDeny' type='128' value='true'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.safeMode' type='128' value='true'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.startOn' type='128' value='false'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.onStorage' type='128' value='true'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.offAsk' type='128' value='false'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.reloadPage' type='128' value='true'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.allowCookiesCount' type='64' value='26'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.alwaysPin' type='128' value='true'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.offStorage' type='128' value='true'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.flipTemporary' type='128' value='true'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.off3rdParty' type='128' value='true'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.on3rdParty' type='128' value='true'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.onDays' type='128' value='false'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.stripSub' type='128' value='false'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.1stPartyOnlyCount' type='64' value='11'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.offSession' type='128' value='true'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.onVisited' type='128' value='false'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.startOff' type='128' value='true'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.filterCookies' type='128' value='true'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.reloadOnClose' type='128' value='true'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.exportDir' type='32' value='/home/amoe/export-1oct'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.onAsk' type='128' value='false'/>
    <pref name='extensions.cookieController.stripWWW' type='128' value='true'/>
    <pref name='network.cookie.alwaysAcceptSessionCookies' type='128' value='false'/>
    <pref name='network.cookie.lifetime.days' type='64' value='90'/>
    <pref name='network.cookie.lifetimePolicy' type='64' value='2'/>
    <pref name='network.cookie.cookieBehavior' type='64' value='2'/>
    <pref name='network.cookie.prefsMigrated' type='128' value='true'/>
    <pref name='network.cookie.thirdparty.sessionOnly' type='128' value='true'/>
    <pref name='dom.storage.enabled' type='128' value='true'/>
amoe

Post by amoe »

Bump, does anyone have any idea about the above? I have a feeling it might be related to this bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1263209
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Sorry, this message hit a new page and I missed it until now.

This has been reported before and seems to be related to temporary permissions. These can be set by using a modified click (ctrl- or middle-) on the perm button or menuitem to set an exception. The exception will only last until you restart Firefox. If this is the case for you then the obvious thing is not to do the modified click :) If that is not possible, post back the situation and I'll find a solution.

I have had a handful of recent reports from people that appear to be getting these temporary permissions for no obvious reason. When I sent out a test version that wouldn't ever create a temporary permission the problem went away. It might be related to unusual controllers (one-button mouse or equivalent?) that are causing a modified click to be generated, but I don't know.
amoe

Post by amoe »

Thanks for the response, lithopsian! I have never used the control-click, I am using the keyboard to set permissions most of the time. I'd be interested to try a test version that won't create the temporary permissions, it sounds like I'm having the same problem as these recent reports that you mention.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

How do you use the keyboard? From the tools menu?

Another thing worth trying is to actually use the modified click (ctrl-enter or middle click or ctrl click) and see if that creates a permanent exception instead of a temporary one.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

I should perhaps mention that I don't see this problem, and I don't think most users do either. Which is why I'm asking all the dumb questions :)
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

D'oh!!!!! Brain-fade! I just went through the preferences that you posted (very helpful!) and I see a problem. Possibly the problem.

The preference flipTemporary appears to be set to true. This isn't exposed in the user interface, but it was added for a few people who want their exceptions to be "session-only" by default. You are now one of those select few people ;) Try setting it to false to resume normal service.

I still need to find out why this happens, because it has happened to at least one person before.
amoe

Post by amoe »

That's great! It worked. The confusing part is that I previously tried to fix it by copying the default set of preferences from a fresh profile into my existing set of exceptions, as a new combined XML file. However, importing this other XML file, which had the "extensions.cookieController.flipTemporary" set to false as is the default, still resulted in a profile with the flipTemporary pref set to true after import. To fix it, I had to enter about:config and reset the value of the pref to false. After that, everything works and the changes persist across shutdown & restart. Thanks lithopsian!
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Thanks for the feedback. There is a bug in the import function. It will be fixed pronto.

Update: v 5.6 is now out. Imports will now set the flipTemporary preference correctly, usually false. Anyone whose cookie exceptions seem to disappear when Firefox is restarted may still have the preference set to true from an older import; reset it to false and everything should be fine.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Did someone ask for import and export of the cookies themselves? I have it in the back of my mind, but could have just imagined it.
Keefa

Post by Keefa »

Cookie Controller's UI doesn't seem to work on Firefox nightlies anymore, presumably after this landed: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1293305

Using it on nightly I can't see from the tray icon whether or not the site is blocked, and clicking on the little arrow next to the icon only shows a tiny, empty box.

Hopefully you'll find time to fix it soon. Thank you very much for your work on the extension so far!
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Yes, that would break the menu. Not sure why it would stop the icon from working. I'll put up a fix anyway, this is a bit of javascript that is here to stay (or gone for good).
Keefa

Post by Keefa »

I just got the update and Cookie Controller seems to work perfectly once again. Excellent work! Thank you again.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Keefa wrote:I just got the update and Cookie Controller seems to work perfectly once again. Excellent work! Thank you again.
Thanks for tracking down what caused the breakage.
KPbIM

Post by KPbIM »

lithopsian wrote:Does anyone have any good ideas for IndexedDB?
maybe try this addon:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... indexeddb/

youn can disable indexeddb by one click.

to delete some unwanted data in Profilfolder/storage i made a shortcut of the Profilfolder to the desktop and delete sometimes the whole folder. FF dreate an new empty folder when starts again.