Thunderbird very slow or does not respond (Linux)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
deepakdeshp

Thunderbird very slow or does not respond (Linux)

Post by deepakdeshp »

My thunder bird works very slow and many times it does not respond. I am using Mint 18 Cinnamon 64 bit on HP laptop. I have applied all the latest patches and it is set up as IMAP. Many times I get similar messages to this

Code: Select all

Script: chrome://messenger/content/mailWindowOverlay.js: script is not responding . Wait or skip. 
If js is disabled in Chrome then many features in other sites and Thunderbird will not work. I disabled js in Chrome and now the error message is about

Script: chrome://messenger/content/tabmail.xml:1407 is not responding skip or wait.
I dont know why Thunderbird has to go to Chrome, my default browser, I have disabled all add ons.
Is there anything else I can do?
Last edited by DanRaisch on September 26th, 2016, 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: "(Linux)" added to subject line.
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird very slow or does not respond

Post by DanRaisch »

I dont know why Thunderbird has to go to Chrome,
It's not referring to that Chrome.

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
deepakdeshp

Re: Thunderbird very slow or does not respond

Post by deepakdeshp »

DanRaisch wrote:
I dont know why Thunderbird has to go to Chrome,
It's not referring to that Chrome.

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
I started TB in safe mode by

thunderbird -safe-mode.
Same thing happens with this too.
wsmwk

Re: Thunderbird very slow or does not respond (Linux)

Post by wsmwk »

"chrome://messenger/..." is a Thunderbird code folder location whose code affect the Thunderbird display. Along the lines of https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... ary/Chrome
deepakdeshp

Post by deepakdeshp »

wsmwk wrote:"chrome://messenger/..." is a Thunderbird code folder location whose code affect the Thunderbird display. Along the lines of https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... ary/Chrome
Thank you. I have configured TB as IMAP but my Mint 18 Linux folder .Thunderbird shows 2.7 GB disk space taken by it. I thought IMAP does not download messages to local disk
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

In your Account Settings, do you have Keep messages for this account n this computer checked under Synchronization & Storage.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
deepakdeshp

Post by deepakdeshp »

WaltS48 wrote:In your Account Settings, do you have Keep messages for this account n this computer checked under Synchronization & Storage.
yes I have the option synchronize for 60 days enabled.

But the .ain query is wby TB is slow still remains.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

So you have both Keep messages for this account on this computer for Message Synchroizing and Synchronize the most recent 60 days for Disk Space.

Then your IMAP account is keeping messages on your computer and depending on how many you have for the most recent 60 days, that may be slowing down the application. It all has to be loaded into memory when the application starts.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

> It all has to be loaded into memory when the application starts.
More correctly, some folder indexes will be loaded into memory. Not all the folder contents.

But it is equally likely that some other factor is at play. We'd need to know more about your environment and what "thunderbird looks like" in terms of resource usage when it is slow. SEe https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Te ... e_Problems
deepakdeshp

Post by deepakdeshp »

Hello,
Thank you.
My Thunderbird version is 45.3, IMAP, My OS is Mint 18 Cinnamon version. AMD CPU 4GB memory. Wen TB is idling , its CPU % used is .3%. When I do some operations like click INBOX . The CPU % shoots up to 104% for TB for some time and then it settles to the TB idling % of .3%... % memory used is 11% of 4GB that is around 520MB. The account isnt indicated as upto date. But when I fetch messages no download activity is shown,
deepakdeshp

Post by deepakdeshp »

wsmwk wrote:> It all has to be loaded into memory when the application starts.
More correctly, some folder indexes will be loaded into memory. Not all the folder contents.
There is no memory problem if 520 mb memory usage is ok.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

> There is no memory problem if 520 mb memory usage is ok.
probably OK

> The CPU % shoots up to 104% for TB for some time
define "some time" please with numbers?
and is the UI locked, or can you click on other folders while it is "working"?

> The account isnt indicated as upto date
as defined or shown by what?
deepakdeshp

Post by deepakdeshp »

Some time means around 20 seconds for each click on the folders. UI is locked for these 20 seconds. TB and the os Mint 18 freeze during this time.
I have another e mail account on TB, its status is shown as synchronized. It does nt have this freeze problem.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

deepakdeshp wrote:Hello,
Thank you.
My Thunderbird version is 45.3, IMAP, My OS is Mint 18 Cinnamon version. AMD CPU 4GB memory. Wen TB is idling , its CPU % used is .3%. When I do some operations like click INBOX . The CPU % shoots up to 104% for TB for some time [about 20 seconds] and then it settles to the TB idling % of .3%... % memory used is 11% of 4GB that is around 520MB. The account isnt indicated as upto date. But when I fetch messages no download activity is shown,
Does it also kick into high cpu for 20 seconds if you have set Thunderbird to be offline, at File | Offline | Work Offline?

Is it better/worse if you use the current beta?
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/channel/