Seamonkey 2.35 - Twitter video playback failure under Win-XP

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
therube

Re: Seamonkey 2.35 - Twitter video playback failure under Wi

Post by therube »

More information here, [solved] Tumblr videos not playing (& follow that to the MSFN link - which is also updated for changes forthcoming in FF 49).

In one of the other threads, I'm pretty sure I found that this "hack", while it does work in FF, did not work in SeaMonkey.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Zerebralus

Post by Zerebralus »

I guess Seamonkey is loosing his position on the most websites with videos. I still have problems with twitter... just tried to watch a livestream right now on a german sportchannel.. and this sites tells me that the browser is outdated. Only Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome and Safari are proposed for usage :-( well.. non of them i rather use. But Opera plays the stream very well. So I guess the dev's should work on this problem soon.
frg

Post by frg »

>> I guess Seamonkey is loosing his position on the most websites with videos.

Try the latest 2.46 until the official one arrives:

https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~aka ... y/nightly/

If it crashes with a division by 0 error when playing webm videos set media.mediasource.webm.enabled to true. This is fixed in 2.47 in mozilla code.

>> So I guess the dev's should work on this problem soon.

Not for XP. I still use it too but for media playback seriously look for something else. 2.48 might also be the last version supporting it. Mozilla plans to move XP support to Firefox 52 ESR and then discontinue it for all other releases. Not yet final but the writing is on the wall.

FRG
Zerebralus

Post by Zerebralus »

I don't use Win XP :-) and the rest of users should beware of using this old no longer supported. i have windows 10 (Build 1607) in use. But still those problems with playing webvideos.
frg

Post by frg »

>> But still those problems with playing webvideos.

htlm5 support should be greatly improved in the next version. If you really need it pick an unofficial version.

2.40 gets a bit long in the tooth when it comes to html5 unfortunately. Many many changes and fixes in the Mozilla Gecko engine between 2.40 and 2.46. And Fullscreen support in SeaMonkey itself has improved too.

FRG
Eakamai

Post by Eakamai »

i4004 wrote:it depends on how do you read that blog post by occallahan. but here's how i read it:
"we don't care about few %s of xp users".
and that's it. :)
'snip'
so overall it's just laziness and poor predictions of what will future bring.

this also serves as a reminder that video was never really truly solved on the web, even since old days of realvideo, windows media video etc. there never was one format that was good eneough for everybody, and that's a pitty. because mpeg-la should (for example) give away these things for free (they essentially are free, they won't make money on windows or linux video decoders), OR price it at some very low price so that anybody can buy it.
That's how I read this as well. However, in my own personal estimation I bet it's still more than 5%.
In every case, it simply says 'The media cannot be played.'

Since I can Image entire system, is there *anything* that *anyone* would like me to try?! ;)

Using SM version 2.35, Chromium (Iron) 44.0.2350.0, Pale Moon 25.5 (XPSP3).
Eakamai

Post by Eakamai »

Interesting. In W7, Pale Moon plays these vids but Chromium will not, erring with the same wording 'The media cannot be played'.
I'm now going to install Seamonkey to see if it will play these.