SeaMonkey and Mac OS Sierra

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Curland

SeaMonkey and Mac OS Sierra

Post by Curland »

I've been using SeaMonkey on my iMac running OS versions all the way through El Capitan. I'd like to know if anyone has any idea if SeaMonkey is compatible with Mac OS Sierra. I really like SeaMonkey and have a ton of emails and folders that I wouldn't want to lose.

Thanks,

Jim Curland
Anonymosity

Re: SeaMonkey and Mac OS Sierra

Post by Anonymosity »

I am using SeaMonkey 2.46 with Mac OS Sierra, and it works.
Curland

Post by Curland »

Thanks so much for the heads up!! I really appreciate it! You mentioned version 2.4.6. I just checked my version and it says 2.40 and then I checked for updates and it says there are none?? How did you get 2.4.6? Thanks again!!
James

Post by James »

2.46 as in two.fortysix and not two.four.six

SeaMonkey 2.46 is not quite out for Release yet though there is 2.46 Release Candidates.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

You can download the latest pre-release 2.46 build at https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/c ... andidates/

EDIT
Oops, collided posting with James.

The pre-release builds, being "unfinished work", may have bugs in them. They are made publicly available only for testing purposes.

That said, I've found 2.46 quite stable and use it as my everyday browser.
Curland

Post by Curland »

Thanks James and barbaz. Any idea, James, when it might be officially out to the public for release, not as a release candidate?
Curland

Post by Curland »

Hi, I sent this message above about 3 weeks ago, but didn't hear back from anyone as for as when the 2.4.6 release might get officially publicly released. And, if there is no answer to that, my question is whether anyone is successfully running SeaMonkey version 2.40 (which is what I'm currently running) with Mac OS Sierra. Thanks for any help in answering this!

Jim
James

Post by James »

There has been no updates on https://blog.seamonkey-project.org/ and there is a tracking bug for reading at Bug 1294433 - (SM2.46) Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.46
Curland

Post by Curland »

Thanks James for the update. I'm not a tech person in the least, so I don't know what is meant by the part after you saying there are no updates. And, as for the other part of my earlier message, do you or anyone you know of have any experience running version 2.4.0 on Mac OS Sierra? Thanks!
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

Version 2.46 is being worked on but is not out yet, because they've been having problems with a couple of things.

By the way, the current version is 2.40 (two dot forty), not 2.4.0 (two dot four dot zero.)
Curland

Post by Curland »

OK, sorry I'm not being specific about the version, but that's not my question it is whether 2.40 is compatible with OS Sierra. Has anyone successfully upgraded to Sierra using 2.40. That is my question, not being corrected by putting an extra "." in version number. I would appreciate some feedback on the compatibility question.
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

I don't know because Mac is too rich for my blood.
My guess is that it works, but it's a guess. I know Apple breaks compatibility frequently, but I'd be surprised if they'd broken something as new as two dot forty already.

Accuracy in version numbering is important, though.
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

I don't have any Macs running Sierra at the moment, so I can't check, unfortunately.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Mac OS 10.6 will not run SM 2.46, but I do not know if Sierra refuses to run 2.40. I was forced to update to get SM 2.46 to install.
Curland

Post by Curland »

Thanks Anonymosity. Well, I want to update to Sierra, but I understand from previous posts on this forum, that there are some issues with 2.46, so I will hold off until that is resolved. In the meantime, I'm just trying to get anyone to let me know if they are running 2.40 successfully on Sierra.