SM 2.46 breaking websites?

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
Frank Lion

SM 2.46 breaking websites?

Post by Frank Lion »

Using Linux and the 'new' SM 2.46, I went here - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... inner.html and noticed that the 'Reader Comments' (the only thing worth reading on that rag) were not loading at all.

Not a problem, it's bound to be a taboola js script or something that is loading them and it's been blocked, even though it wasn't on 2.40. Disable adblocking - no change. Safe Mode - works again. Renamed my heavily altered chrome folder and disabled likely extensions.

You'll never guess who the culprit was - the Lightning extension that comes with 2.46 by default. Odd, but true.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
TPR75

Re: SM 2.46 breaking websites?

Post by TPR75 »

Frank Lion wrote:You'll never guess who the culprit was - the Lightning extension that comes with 2.46 by default. Odd, but true.
I can confirm this... ](*,) (SeaMonkey 2.46, Build identifier: 20160923004119). I hope it will be fixed until release. [-o<
--
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

TPR75 wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:You'll never guess who the culprit was - the Lightning extension that comes with 2.46 by default. Odd, but true.
I can confirm this... ](*,) (SeaMonkey 2.46, Build identifier: 20160923004119). I hope it will be fixed until release. [-o<
Weird, eh?

'Oh, a .js isn't executing on a website, that's bound to be the calender extension for the Email client!'
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
frg

Post by frg »

Looks like another case of a piece of junk website. I am seeing a html error in the error console with lightning installed. Disable advertising lighting compatibility by setting calendar.useragent.extra to blank. 2.47 already has a checkbox for it in the prefs under Advanced HTTP Networking.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Thanks for that workaround.
frg wrote:Looks like another case of a piece of junk website
Indeed, but it is also the most popular online newspaper in the word (hard to believe, but true) So, this isn't an 'edge case' and fixing this via prefs in 47+ may well not be a readily known option for many people, i.e. a better fix than that checkbox might be a good idea?
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

As Fallen said in bug 1275679:
The whole reason this was added is to let caldav server vendors know which Lightning version is being used, so that they can block specific versions causing problems (we've had an endless request loop in one version), or to deploy workarounds for client behavior. If you disable this by default, then server vendors can do nothing other than block a whole Seamonkey version. I'd advise against being able to disable this via the UI, but if you really want this to happen I would be ok with a patch to Lightning that does not add the space if the UA string is empty.
Thus, we can be happy that we'll have that checkbox at least to disable the Lightning token when website conflicts occur as in this case.
frg

Post by frg »

>> So, this isn't an 'edge case' and fixing this via prefs in 47+ may well not be a readily known option for many people, i.e. a better fix than that checkbox might be a good idea?

It seems to me the js code on the website is at fault. It gets something wrong during browser sniffing. Not much SeaMonkey can do about it other than putting it into the release notes.

FRG
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote:It seems to me the js code on the website is at fault.
Seems to me that you're right, the whole site coding is a mess. But, it is very popular and it's far from the only site on the Net that has messy coding.

I'm just saying that when SM breaks on it, people will not be blaming the Daily Mail site or looking at the SM release notes.
rsx11m wrote:Thus, we can be happy that we'll have that checkbox
Well, I'm quite happy to just blank the about:config entry, but that wasn't really the point I was making.

It's an unfair world and SM will get the blame when this breaking happens on websites.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Frank Lion wrote:It's an unfair world and SM will get the blame when this breaking happens on websites.
Yeah, it has been like that for ages (unfortunately). There is a "Tech Evangelism" component on bugzilla, but not much seems to be happening there in such cases (at least not if just SeaMonkey is affected).
therube

Post by therube »

(There is also likely "feedback" on a website, so...

Likewise you could change the Pref, general.useragent.override,
or set up a site specific Pref, general.useragent.override.dailymail.co.uk, removing the "Lightning" part in each case.

Adding Lightning to your UA breaks things - even in SeaMonkey 2.40.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

therube wrote:Likewise you could change the Pref, general.useragent.override,
or set up a site specific Pref, general.useragent.override.dailymail.co.uk, removing the "Lightning" part in each case.

Adding Lightning to your UA breaks things - even in SeaMonkey 2.40.)
I'm OK with blanking that about:config entry, not like I'm going to be using it.

Damn thing is a pig to theme for, I know that. I'm not doing OS manifest flags just for one extension and yet the extension is using totally different graphics from platform to platform. Grr....

This is so getting removed when I've finished the updates for these three themes.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

therube wrote:Adding Lightning to your UA breaks things - even in SeaMonkey 2.40.)
Is it a bug that "Lightning" doesn't show in UA info?
Menu -> Help -> "About SeaMonkey" [about:]
There is no info about Lightning extension when it's enabled ("calendar.useragent.extra" contains some string; e.g. default "Lightning/5.1").

IMHO there should be FULL information about User Agent... :-"
--
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

It's purposefully added only when the UA string is generated in HTTP request (i.e., not sent with E-mail messages either). I agree that it's inconsistent and to that extent obscured, but you'd have to argue with the Calendar guys about it.