Is Seamonkey Dead?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
cokerrory

Is Seamonkey Dead?

Post by cokerrory »

There has been no new version of Seamonkey since March 2016. About all I can gather from searching the internet for information about this is that the total number of people working on the newest version is down to roughly 1, and as soon as that number resets to 0, as it soon will, Seamonkey will be dead forever. Is there some light at the end of the tunnel, or is this indeed the end?
James

Re: Is Seamonkey Dead?

Post by James »

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

cokerrory wrote: About all I can gather from searching the internet for information about this is that the total number of people working on the newest version is down to roughly 1
Looks like you been gathering wrong information then, chum.

Was only a few years back that Firefox only did a major release once a year and no one said they were down to 1. As it is, SM 2.46 is just around the corner and many of us are already using it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Yeah, I'm wondering too where you may have read that. Apparently you didn't get a suggestion from those search engines to look at the biweekly Status Meeting notes where definitely more than 1 people are participating. In short, Mozilla has made some substantial infrastructure and platform changes recently that SeaMonkey (and other applications) have to adapt to, so that's why releases have been stalled recently while development continues (and SeaMonkey 2.46 has >100 bug fixes and enhancements to offer which accumulated since the last 2.40 release).