[Ext] uBlock Origin

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
GHM113

Re: [Ext] uBlock Origin

Post by GHM113 »

I decided to test uBlock Origin WebExtension and it turned out it currently slows down the browser a bit. Testing methodology: load 9 tabs, then open 100 bookmarks in the background using "Open all in tabs", measure how long it takes to cycle through the first 9 tabs (I wait until the contents of the tab are rendered after switching to this tab)
Results:
Nightly 29-10-16 without adblockers with Tab Mix Plus installed: ~11 seconds
Nightly 29-10-16 with uBlock Origin e10s and Tab Mix Plus installed: ~12 seconds
Nightly 29-10-16 with uBlock Origin WebExtension and Tab Mix Plus installed: ~19 seconds
Nightly with AdBlock Plus e10s and Tab Mix Plus installed: 30+ seconds the last time I measured. ABP performance is terrible.
Sorry for my poor English.
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

GHM113 wrote:I decided to test uBlock Origin WebExtension and it turned out it currently slows down the browser a bit.
This matches my (superficial) findings, about which I commented on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... s/d9dz9ms/. I am very confident though that as the webext API matures, performance will get better -- it still being in development, I expect more time will be spent on optimisations in the near future.
ChewInternetExplorer

Post by ChewInternetExplorer »

Just came across an image which uBlock Origin could not block because it seems to be generating an incorrect filter — tested with 1.9.17b1.

The image resides at http://winaero.com/blog/finally-custom- ... indows-10/

Correct filter:
  • ||winaero.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/custom-accent-color.jpg

Incorrect filter generated by uBlock Origin
:
  • ||winaero.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/custom-accent-color-600x450.jpg
ps:—
  • The uBlock logs are able to reflect the correct filter, though.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ ChewInternetExplorer - it's not extension issue, report it to filter list developers
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
ChewInternetExplorer

Really — which list did you find that filter on???
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

ChewInternetExplorer wrote: Incorrect filter generated by uBlock Origin[/b]:
  • ||winaero.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/custom-accent-color-600x450.jpg
I don't see that image being blocked, using default settings/lists. The logger will tell you from which filter list(s) a filter comes from when you click on it.
Sorry, I misunderstood what you reported. When you say "generated by uBlock Origin", you mean through the element picker?

If so, I tried here and

Code: Select all

||winaero.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/custom-accent-color-600x450.jpg
was the network filter suggested by uBO, and the image was properly blocked.
ChewInternetExplorer

Hi Ray — thank you for the response! :)

gorhill wrote:When you say "generated by uBlock Origin", you mean through the element picker?
Yes, I meant through the Element Picker — the behavior is 100% reproducible using either of the following methods:—
  • Right-clicking the image, or
  • Entering Element Mode via the uBlock Origin icon.
gorhill wrote:If so, I tried here and

Code: Select all

||winaero.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/custom-accent-color-600x450.jpg
was the network filter suggested by uBO, and the image was properly blocked.
Yes right, I am receiving the same uBlock Origin suggested network filter (||winaero.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/custom-accent-color-600x450.jpg) — it works momentarily when applied but fails to work when the page is refreshed and thereafter for all subsequent purposes.

When I delete the red part of the network filter (||winaero.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/custom-accent-color.jpg) — uBlock Origin blocks the image permanently, as usual.

ps:— Some more examples which are 100% reproducible:—
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

ChewInternetExplorer wrote:Yes right, I am receiving the same uBlock Origin suggested network filter (||winaero.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/custom-accent-color-600x450.jpg) — it works momentarily when applied but fails to work when the page is refreshed and thereafter for all subsequent purposes.

When I delete the red part of the network filter (||winaero.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/custom-accent-color.jpg) — uBlock Origin blocks the image permanently, as usual.
See what the logger says. On my side the logger shows the image being blocked because of the newly added network filter (the one with "-600x450" in it). It could be a case of redirect: uBO can't see redirects by analyzing the DOM (from which suggested filters are picked). The logger will show you all network requests, including redirects. Another explanation is that maybe you have exception filters overriding the newly created block filter? Again, the logger will tell.
ChewInternetExplorer

Damn, you are right. :oops:

Just created a new profile and disabled uMatrix and Stylish completely and uBlock origin succeeded in blocking that image with its suggested filter (||winaero.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/custom-accent-color-600x450.jpg)

I am just about to revert to my original profile in order to pinpoint the cause and shall get back to you, soon.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

winaero.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/people-bar-600x408.jpg
not filtered here - proper content - which filter is it?
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

barbaz wrote:
gorhill wrote:But yes, I do see your point. I will try to implement asap the hidden (for now) settings to wholly disable script injection and redirections. I do want longer-term a new pane for advanced users in the dashboard to more easily toggle these advanced settings.
Good news, thanks! :D
There is a new Advanced settings page in the latest dev build. It contains a setting to turn off scriptlet injection: "ignoreScriptInjectFilters" (default to "false").
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

gorhill wrote:
barbaz wrote:
gorhill wrote:But yes, I do see your point. I will try to implement asap the hidden (for now) settings to wholly disable script injection and redirections. I do want longer-term a new pane for advanced users in the dashboard to more easily toggle these advanced settings.
Good news, thanks! :D
There is a new Advanced settings page in the latest dev build. It contains a setting to turn off scriptlet injection: "ignoreScriptInjectFilters" (default to "false").
What would we need to look for to see if we are being affected by a scriplet injection?
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

WildcatRay wrote:What would we need to look for to see if we are being affected by a scriplet injection?
"Affected"? It's a feature in uBO: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/ ... riptinject
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

gorhill wrote:There is a new Advanced settings page in the latest dev build. It contains a setting to turn off scriptlet injection: "ignoreScriptInjectFilters" (default to "false").
Installed, thanks!

1) Is the "suspendTabsUntilReady" setting related to https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/1327?
2) In the event of a severe mistake, how to quickly fill the "advanced settings" textbox with all the defaults? (Not actually reset the settings, just change the textbox to the default value.)
WildcatRay wrote:What would we need to look for to see if we are being affected by a scriplet injection?
@WildcatRay: If you're not testing NoScript surrogates or the like, you're better off leaving this be. The scriptlets are there to un-break sites.

So, to answer your question - if a known-problematic site works fine for you with uBlock Origin, this could be the reason.
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

barbaz wrote:1) Is the "suspendTabsUntilReady" setting related to https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/1327?
That's right, sorry about this, I had forgotten that an issue was already opened for this. I will make the necessary changes in the release notes.
barbaz wrote:2) In the event of a severe mistake, how to quickly fill the "advanced settings" textbox with all the defaults? (Not actually reset the settings, just change the textbox to the default value.)
Just delete all the content of the text box, than click Apply changes. You could also remove one specific line to force uBO to restore that one entry with its default value.