Are You a Last Second Windows 10 Adopter?

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
WildcatRay

Re: Are You a Last Second Windows 10 Adopter?

Post by WildcatRay »

I had AU (1607) drop on my system this past week. I had no forewarning that it was AU, either. All seems to have gone smoothly with it, too.

Before AU dropped, I did have an issue where when I would right-click on the Start button on the Taskbar and choose "Shut down or sign out>Shut down" and the computer would just sit there for about 5 minutes for beginning to shut down. Since then, however, when doing this, shut down commences immediately.

I can only speculate, but I do know the AU update is huge. I wonder if the delay I was experiencing was that the update was downloading in the background and the pause was the downloading getting to a convenient spot to stop for the moment before allowing the shut down to proceed.

@tanstaafl,

I read somewhere else that a remedy for installs that hang was to disconnect from the internet. The hang may have been when the install/update process was searching for online updates. If your next attempt fails, you might try keeping the computer off the internet.

Also, have you uninstalled or disabled any antivirus and/or antimalware apps/programs? They, too, may be causing you problems with the install/update.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

A further update: I have Win10 Pro running smoothly on 2 of my 4 active computer systems. (I have kept my older desktop and laptop on Win7 Home Premium for the time being. Haven't had the time to reinstall Win10 on them.)

My conclusion is to be very careful of upgrading from an older OS to Win10. I cannot say if it is because of any other apps and/or drivers installed on the computer. However, my experience with doing the clean installs that I have done has been acceptable without any serious problems like I saw with doing the upgrades.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
jimfitter
Folder@Home

Post by jimfitter »

WildcatRay wrote:A further update: I have Win10 Pro running smoothly on 2 of my 4 active computer systems.
I have Win 10 running on all three of my computers (2 laptops and a desktop). On average, they are 4 years old. I still don't get the big deal, Ray.
Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened. - Terry Pratchett
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

WildcatRay wrote:I read somewhere else that a remedy for installs that hang was to disconnect from the internet. The hang may have been when the install/update process was searching for online updates. If your next attempt fails, you might try keeping the computer off the internet.

Also, have you uninstalled or disabled any antivirus and/or antimalware apps/programs? They, too, may be causing you problems with the install/update.
My problem was traced to having a usb based Logitech keyboard and mouse. Temporarily replacing them with non-Logitech peripherals worked around the problem. I had problems a couple of days later on when restarting, keeping a non-Logitech keyboard worked around that. I got help in a Microsoft forum thread where several people mentioned that several of the clients their company supports had the same problem.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

jimfitter wrote:
WildcatRay wrote:A further update: I have Win10 Pro running smoothly on 2 of my 4 active computer systems.
I have Win 10 running on all three of my computers (2 laptops and a desktop). On average, they are 4 years old. I still don't get the big deal, Ray.
Did you read this?

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14677619
Ray

Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

https://www.neowin.net/news/google-reve ... -microsoft
Google reveals serious Windows 10 vulnerability just 10 days after telling Microsoft
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

and if you're already Windows 10 user, look out on latest patch KB3201845, which is totally bugged...
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:and if you're already Windows 10 user, look out on latest patch KB3201845, which is totally bugged...
I will have to check my 2 Win10AU systems when I get home from work. I know they both updated over the weekend, but I have to confirm that the update is patch KB3201845.

Maybe, just maybe, Microsoft will finally relent and allow all Win10 versions users to postpone updates until the patch(es) are known to be OK.
Ray

WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

FYI: Did not have an issue with patch KB3201845.
Ray