3 4MB cache files not deleted with "clear private data"

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
LMHmedchem

3 4MB cache files not deleted with "clear private data"

Post by LMHmedchem »

Hello,

A while ago, I started noticing that when I ran CCleaner there were multiple seamonkey cache files that were being deleted by CCleaner, meaning they had not been deleted by "clear private data" on seamonkey exit.

The files are,
profile_folder/Cache/_CACHE_001_
profile_folder/Cache/_CACHE_002_
profile_folder/Cache/_CACHE_003_
profile_folder/Cache/_CACHE_MAP_

The three cache files are 4MB in size. These seem to appear shortly after seamonkey is started and the size is not dependent on usage. The files are 4MB when created and 4MB when seamonkey closes. These files are not always 4MB, sometimes they are smaller but I can't see any pattern to when they are smaller. In the vast majority of cases, they are 4MB.

Is there some reason why three large cache files are created, even when they are not necessary for anything the application is doing? Is there some reason why these files are not deleted by "clear private data"?

LMHmedchem
Frank Lion

Re: 3 4MB cache files not deleted with "clear private data"

Post by Frank Lion »

LMHmedchem wrote:Is there some reason why three large cache files are created, even when they are not necessary for anything the application is doing? Is there some reason why these files are not deleted by "clear private data"?
Put about:cache in the addressbar and see what's going on.

My cache clears OK.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LMHmedchem

Post by LMHmedchem »

Frank Lion wrote:Put about:cache in the addressbar and see what's going on.
I am not sure what I am looking for.

There are two check boxes at the top of the page, one is marked "Private" and the other is marked "Anonymous". Neither box is checked. Should one of these be check, and if so, what is the difference?

These are the entries under disk.

disk
Number of entries: 125
Maximum storage size: 358400 KiB
Storage in use: 1092 KiB

There are no entries under either memory or appcache.

What should I be looking for here?

LMHmedchem
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LMHmedchem wrote:These are the entries under disk.

disk
Well, that's not really accurate, is it?

Isn't it more like? -

disk
Storage disk location: /path-to/Cache
List Cache Entries

The last one there is a different colour, because it is a link, click it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LMHmedchem

Post by LMHmedchem »

Sorry, I didn't get all of it with the copy and paste.

Looking at the items in the link, nearly every entry is either for my homepage or for forums.mozillazine.org. These are the only two websites I have visited after starting seamonkey.

There are two exceptions.

One is a mozilla link for addons,
https://addons.cdn.mozilla.net/user-med ... 1477608523

A second is my IP address, meaning the IP of my router from my provider. That entry is size 47438 B. It seems a bit odd to have an entry with my router external IP address but I have never looked at this cache information before.

Cache storage in use is 1031 KiB, but again, there are three _CACHE_001_ files of size 4096K.

It is still not clear to me why these files are not deleted on exit. I know this was not the case before because I have used CCleaner for years and never noticed the deletion of these files. The deletion takes a while because of the size of the files, so CCleaner now takes much longer to run than it used to. This is not a recent change, I just now have go around to looking into it. This probably started when I upgraded to 2.40.

LMHmedchem
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

LMHmedchem wrote:A second is my IP address, meaning the IP of my router from my provider. That entry is size 47438 B. It seems a bit odd to have an entry with my router external IP address
Got NoScript?
LMHmedchem

Post by LMHmedchem »

barbaz wrote:
LMHmedchem wrote:A second is my IP address, meaning the IP of my router from my provider. That entry is size 47438 B. It seems a bit odd to have an entry with my router external IP address
Got NoScript?
Yes, I am running NoScript, Adblock Plus, uBlock Origin, and No Resource URI Leak.

LMHmedchem
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Do you still get these files if you disable all add-ons that automatically connect to sites? (in your list: NoScript, Adblock Plus, uBlock Origin)
LMHmedchem wrote:, Adblock Plus, uBlock Origin,
These two are redundant to each other, take your pick.
therube

Post by therube »

profile_folder/Cache/_CACHE_001_
profile_folder/Cache/_CACHE_002_
profile_folder/Cache/_CACHE_003_
profile_folder/Cache/_CACHE_MAP_
What you are seeing, I'm guessing, is expected.
At least the automatic creation of those files on browser startup.
Their purpose, don't know, but still expected.

Kind of like a new "empty" places.sqlite clocks in at ~10 MB.

The size differentials, I've seen that too.
Not sure why that is.
Similarly not sure if "pertinent" data is being retained in there after a clearing of cache?
(Seem to recall a bug, never verified, in that respect.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
LMHmedchem

Post by LMHmedchem »

therube wrote: What you are seeing, I'm guessing, is expected.
At least the automatic creation of those files on browser startup.

Similarly not sure if "pertinent" data is being retained in there after a clearing of cache?
Thanks for the information. I checked the cache files today after I closed seamonkey and ran clear private data. It turns out that the cache files are empty. I'm not sure how they still have the size of 4096KB when there is nothing in them, but it looks as if all of the cache information has been cleared. These files must be filled with blank lines or something like that. I don't know any other way to explain the file size and why it takes CCleaner a noticeable length of time to wipe them.

Maybe I will add a rule to CCleaner to skip wiping these files. I guess they are left in place to avoid having to re-create them every time seamonkey starts. Not sure how that is an advantage but it does seem that it was designed to work that way.

LMHmedchem
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript