automatic id and saved passwords

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
newmarket2

Post by newmarket2 »

I've used this feature for years on my at-home PC (Windows 10)
But recently, I've noticed more and more websites seem to be blocking this feature.
Given the complexity of dozens of ID/password combinations; frequent forced changes; and differing rules - this feature really saves me a lot of time, and I'd like to have it work on all the sites I visit regularly

Is there any way to get around a site that seems to not allow pre-filling of ID and/or password fields?
BruceAWittmeier

Re: automatic id and saved passwords

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

I don't have an answer but certainly agree with your concern. On the flip-side I rarely use the automatic signin feature as it becomes too easy to forget the ID/password combination when a problem occurs.

As you noted the amount of sites requiring ID/passwords, frequency, varying rules and many that won't allow a previously used combo -- they just make their changes without consideration to users.

Some updates are driven by the forum software updates. They update the SW and concurrently change the rules and it is a pain.

There are some possible options if you Google Single signon for Firefox.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... irewebsso/
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Are we stuck in a time warp here?
BruceAWittmeier wrote: ...
There are some possible options if you Google Single signon for Firefox.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... irewebsso/
FireWebSSO 0.9.9.2
Version 0.9.9.2 Released March 14, 2010 187.4 kB Works with Firefox 2.0 - 3.6.*, SeaMonkey 1.0 - 2.0.*

6 years defunct and never got beyond the beta stage.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
newmarket2

Post by newmarket2 »

edmeister,
any alternative solutions that are current and viable?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I'm not entirely sure what you are talking about in your title... and as you stated... it seems like every site has their own concept to handle stuff like that...

Also, some sites are coded to force the user to manually enter in id and passwords... those are mainly financial related sites....

I use an extension to aid me in some of this auto-fill stuff... but keep in mind, a number of sites use cookies so the extension isn't use with those...

An example of what happens here with the below extension... Say I visit Ameritrade... and it will not auto fill anything ... but it displays the login fields ... and I have that sites id/password stored in my profile... so, when the login page is displayed the extensions icon turns on a yellow flag noting that it is ready to load those fields and send that page to Ameritrade ... then bammmm... I'm logged in.

Anyway, read about it...
Secure Login :: Add-ons for Firefox
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
newmarket2

Post by newmarket2 »

dfoulkes
You are correct with the problem and the solution tip is appreciated.
I'm going to check it out and see if it works.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Just a FYI ... that extension handles about 95% of my saved logins... the ones that don't work with it seem to be financial sites/kind of sites ... but I do save the login data in Firefox anyway... in case I forget it.
newmarket2

Post by newmarket2 »

Installed, but no big improvement over the saved ID/password feature in FF itself.
In fact, for some sites, more clicks involved.
And, the "problem" sites don't seem to have been fixed.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Some links to a few of those sites would be good.
BruceAWittmeier

Just a question -- are you having issues with logging into a forum or a bank type site? Reason I ask is I believe there are some highly secure sites like banking that may not allow saved login/passwords for security purposes. Just a thought.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Yeah... I brought the bank site thing up earlier... but some links to the problem sites sure would tell us something... a waiting game now?
BruceAWittmeier

...the ones that don't work with it seem to be financial sites/kind of sites ... but I do save the login data in Firefox anyway...
Yeah...if the site is https:// I don't believe they will allow you to save login/pw locally due to risks/security.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

It's kind of hit and miss with that extension I posted... Ameritrade and my bank...it (the extension) does not activate on those sites... but Costco... it does... and lots of other https type sites.
TomBak

Post by TomBak »

I'm having the same problem. Did you solve it? :D
Last edited by DanRaisch on February 1st, 2017, 8:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Link removed per forum rules.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Please explain the problem that you are having.

The user who started this thread months ago wasn't all that specific as to what his problem was. My "take" was that his complaint may have been related to websites that no longer use "remember me" for automatically when the user returns to their website. Many financial type websites have eliminated that feature; but the financial sites I use hasn't stopped the Firefox Logins Manager from working.

Another thing is that some websites have gone to a gone scheme where the Username is entered on one page and then the user "clicks" to go to another "page" where they then enter their Password. That scheme hasn't prevented the Firefox Logins Manager from working, as I recall; but right now I can't remember any specific website that uses that new "dual" scheme.

The only problem I have heard of recently is that some websites won't allow the user to even save their "login credentials" - IOW won't allow Firefox to "ask" if the user wants to save their username and password. And that is easily gotten around by using the Saved Password Editor extension - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rd-editor/ - which allows the user to create a new "Login" from scratch in the Logins Manager window in Options > Security --> Saved Logins.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.