Alarming issue with attachments?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
abe-ariel

Alarming issue with attachments?

Post by abe-ariel »

Platform MacBookPro, OS 10.9.5. SeaMonkey 2.40.
I sent myself today a test email with an attachment.
The email was received as usual, with the box containing ICON & NAME OF ATTACHMENT on the top right hand side.
I dragged that icon to the desktop and opened it. The contents of that attachment appeared intact. So far so good.
I then double-clicked the icon in the box, without dragging it out. To my horror, instead of the contents of that attachment, the WHOLE DIRECTORY OF MY COMPUTER appeared on the screen.
Questions:
1. Is it supposed to be that way?
2. Is there a chance that recipients of my attachments can also read my directory?
Thanks
frg

Re: Alarming issue with attachments?

Post by frg »

>> 1. Is it supposed to be that way?

Maybe. Its a feature used when composing a mail. If you doubleclick on the empty area you can select a new file for attaching it. Does not make much sense when reading an email so probably a harmless bug.

>> 2. Is there a chance that recipients of my attachments can also read my directory?

Only if they are psychic. Don't worry :D

FRG
abe-ariel

Post by abe-ariel »

Thank you.
I live and learn.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

frg wrote:Maybe. Its a feature used when composing a mail. If you doubleclick on the empty area you can select a new file for attaching it. Does not make much sense when reading an email so probably a harmless bug.
Hmm, I don't see this when clicking on an empty space in the attachment box while reading a message. Also, "I then double-clicked the icon in the box" would suggest that abe-ariel was clicking on the attachment itself rather than an empty spot.

My guess is that the default action for this specific type of attachment was set to "Save As" rather than opening it with any given application. Look into Edit > Preferences > Browser > Helper Application and try to locate any entry that matches the icon or type of the attachment you want to open. If it's indeed showing "Save As" change that entry to "Always Ask" which should open the usual dialog that allows you to pick a default application.
abe-ariel

Post by abe-ariel »

Thank you. I have seen that on my computer exactly as FRG described, with the exception that it came up with ONE click instead of double-clicking. It happens with EVERY attachment and considering it is visible to me only, I feel no further action is required.
Tks again.