Program List appears when opening Firefox - why?

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
miniandrew

Program List appears when opening Firefox - why?

Post by miniandrew »

On clicking on the Browser shortcut and in the central lists I am being taken to this:

file:///E:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/

which is a listing of all the programs and .dll files This comes up despite having set the home page as Google.

can anyone tell me what I can do to change this please?

I can access the internet sites I choose by using the usual address bar and drop down menu's of sites I visit in the normal way, but this few pages of programs is the first thing I get each time I click the Mozilla firefox icon.

Background.

I use XP, recently I visited a few websites to download a software to be able to download photo's from my wife's Samsung camera without success. Following that I had an error message when I booted up saying this: (I'm not a techi I'm afraid by the way)

The procedure entrypoint ucrtbase.terminate could not be located in the dynamic link library api-ms-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll

Now that is double Dutch to me and means nothing and I haven't seen it again when booting up.

Also, the machine, when closing down and I use the 'Start' button and go to 'Shut Down' it goes into Restart, but only sometimes. Once it does that and restarts there is a button which then allows me to choose yes to begin or shut down, I press shut down and it closes down.

As I say, I'm no techi and don't know if all or any of this is connected to each other, but you guys on here seem to know far more than I so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.
therube

Re: Program List appears when opening Firefox - why?

Post by therube »

Check your desktop shortcut.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
miniandrew

Post by miniandrew »

Thanks, but....Check it with or for what?

I just did an AVG scan of it but that was okay.

I get the same result if I use either the Desktop shortcut or the one from the start button. I just links me to the program list Index of file:///E:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/ rather than opening up my home page.

It doesn't have the 20% signs I posted above -sorry to confuse, but that came from a cut and paste off the top of the program list and I didn't notice the 20%. It certainly doesn't appear on the program list so I don't know where that came from.

Sorry I can't give you more info, but I don't know what else I can say to help.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

check your startup page in firefox settings.
or reset your profile, maybe caused by adware.

AdwCleaner AdwCleaner Download
Insert [Report] here, then [Cleanup]
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p
therube

Post by therube »

Check it with or for what?
Right-click the destop icon, Properties.
Does the Target: show something like:

Code: Select all

{pathto}/firefox.exe
or

Code: Select all

{pathto}/firefox.exe   file:///E:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/
?
(And I thought I was the only one who installs their OS on E:.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
miniandrew

Post by miniandrew »

Hi, sorry, been out of the loop for a bit... Yes, thanks for your reply therube, what my properties show are:

Target Type - Application
Target location-Mozilla Firefox

Then in the open box which can be edited:
Target - "E:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" "

In the next section below that is:
Start In - (again an open box) "E:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox"

Shortcut key - None

Run - Normal window

Comment - is empty

Now taking your post there's no wording such as {pathto}/firefox.exe but the file entry you have doesn't have the 20 in the centre UNLESS, when I cut and paste it to somewhere like a document it does show - why I know not.

You can see from the Target above it points to the hard drive E: and the program files with all the dll lists on it, but it doesn't go straight to the Google Homepage which I have set in the Firefox settings. So what should this Target box really supposed to contain to just point at the homepage - that's my question I guess?

Thank you for your help.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Then in the open box which can be edited:
Target - "E:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" "
You show in that Target line... where the end shows 2 quotes-marks... the one right after the word 'exe' ... and then a space with another quote-mark... none of my shortcuts show that last quote-mark.

That could be confusing XP?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

that would be same for all windows versions - the point about ist that there was some text after - and something removed it. thats why still assume some adware.
therube

Post by therube »

What happens when you open IE?

If, nothing irregular, (as a test) set IE as your default browser.
Open IE?
Any change?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Brummelchen wrote:that would be same for all windows versions - the point about ist that there was some text after - and something removed it. thats why still assume some adware.
I'll go along with the quote-mark being left over if something following the main line was removed... and not that last quote... but that would not confuse Windows??... but having it there? I could try it here but I've had issues in here today and I don't want to mess with stuff in here right now...
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

sorry for delay - i made a test this minute with a single quote behind - nothing happens here. i remember a similar issue, but not where. i think this is caused by profile.
please provide some information please, it may an outdated graphics driver or hwa (hardware accelleration)
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... ix-firefox

test firefox in safe-mode please:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

create a new profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows or
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

or reset your firefox profile to keep bookmarks and other stuff, read here please
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... d-settings
(keeping bookmarks, history, passwords, cookies, form data aso.)

at least i am no longer an expert for oudated xp systems.
miniandrew

Post by miniandrew »

Hi, just done some of this, but I'm really no techi and get concerned doing some things on here which are not so user friendly. I have tried in IE and that doesn't work as it should opening the browser so there is a problem there too.

I have updated drivers with the AVG driver update I have and I have refreshed Mozilla Firefox in the ? area of the 3 bar drop-down menu at the top r/h corner of the screen with no changes noted either in safe mode or by just refreshing. Still no difference. I still get the Program list when clicking on the firefox icon.

I have not created a new profile though as that looks a bit out of my comfort zone when it comes to PC's.

Not sure what else to do.

What would happen to my pc if I just uninstalled Mozilla Firefox and re installed it, given I can just about open up IE although that's looking rather slow as I do it. It won't open in the Google homepage and just states:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems

But like Firefox when it opens in the program list I can go to the tool bar and opein in anything I choose with the www... etc.

Daft friggin thing! But I appreciate your guidance, it's most helpful.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

miniandrew wrote:On clicking on the Browser shortcut and in the central lists I am being taken to this:

file:///E:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/

which is a listing of all the programs and .dll files This comes up despite having set the home page as Google.
That link is to your directory (folder) listing for E:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ on your Windows XP setup. (Spaces are OK in Windows paths, but are illegal in URLS, so the spaces are replaced with their %20 equivalents. Also, Windows uses \ as its delimiter, but URLs must use /.) So that explains why you get a listing of the contents of that directory. Now we just have to figure out WHY it is going to that link.

What exactly do you see listed in your Firefox setup under Tools | Options | General for:
  • When Firefox starts: [ ], and
    Home page: [ ]
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
therube

Post by therube »

I have tried in IE and that doesn't work as it should opening the browser so there is a problem there too.
Scan your Registry for, firefox.exe.
What turns up?

Run FileTypesMan.
Search for .html & firefox, what turns up?

Run URLProtocolView
Search for firefox, what turns up?
miniandrew

Post by miniandrew »

makaiguy wrote:
What exactly do you see listed in your Firefox setup under Tools | Options | General for:
  • When Firefox starts: [ ], and
    Home page: [ ]
When Firefox Starts: Show my home page

Home Page: http://www.google.com/