[Ext] uBlock Origin

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
WildcatRay

Re: [Ext] uBlock Origin

Post by WildcatRay »

@gorhill,

This is regarding the Chrome/Opera version of uBlock Origin. I am seeing when clicking on a link like this one when in it's email message in gmail, a foreground tab in Chrome and a background tab Opera opens momentarily and then quickly closes. This happens whether or not I disable Peter Lowe's Ad server list.

However, copying and pasting the link into the address/URL bar and either the page opens or, if the filter is active, the warning page opens. Also, if uBlock is disabled, the tab opens from the message, as expected.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

WildcatRay, when this happens, does the logger show something of type "popup" or "popunder" blocked?
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Here is what shows:
http://imgur.com/5oXvCJ7
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Here's what's happening. The link is redirecting through an ad site. When opened as a new tab, uBlock Origin sees the link as a popup, so it looks at and filters redirections as well. And hits a popup blocking filter. So the request is blocked and the tab is closed.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

As I said in my initial post on this, if I copy and paste the link from the email into the address/URL bar, I get the warning page that lets me choose if I want to continue to the page or not. Also, if I am in gmail using Firefox, I get the warning page, too. I do not get the tab closing.

Isn't the expected result that the tab opens and the warning page comes up letting me choose if I want to continue to the page I am trying to open as it does in Firefox?
Ray

gorhill

Post by gorhill »

WildcatRay wrote:Isn't the expected result that the tab opens and the warning page comes up letting me choose if I want to continue to the page I am trying to open as it does in Firefox?
When you open from Gmail by clicking on the link, this causes a new tab to be opened, and thus uBO will consider the newly opened tab as being a "popup candidate ", i.e. fair game to be filtered by existing popup filters. The logger shows there is such a filter for the newly opened tab, and as a consequence uBO enforce the filter by closing the newly opened tab -- it's doing what the filter tells it to do.

The other behavior, strict blocking, is unrelated to the popup filter, it can happen regardless of whether a tab is popup candidate or not.

TL;DR: uBO just enforces the filter from the filter lists, as reported by the logger.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

gorhill wrote:
WildcatRay wrote:Isn't the expected result that the tab opens and the warning page comes up letting me choose if I want to continue to the page I am trying to open as it does in Firefox?
When you open from Gmail by clicking on the link, this causes a new tab to be opened, and thus uBO will consider the newly opened tab as being a "popup candidate ", i.e. fair game to be filtered by existing popup filters. The logger shows there is such a filter for the newly opened tab, and as a consequence uBO enforce the filter by closing the newly opened tab -- it's doing what the filter tells it to do.

The other behavior, strict blocking, is unrelated to the popup filter, it can happen regardless of whether a tab is popup candidate or not.

TL;DR: uBO just enforces the filter from the filter lists, as reported by the logger.
Then, why doesn't uBO in Firefox close the tab, too? Shouldn't things function the same regardless of the browser being used?
Ray

gorhill

Post by gorhill »

WildcatRay wrote:Shouldn't things function the same regardless of the browser being used?
That is for a website's to decide (browser sniffing is a thing), uBO has no say in this. As said above, use the logger to find out what uBO has to deal with, and how it deals with it.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

gorhill wrote:
WildcatRay wrote:Shouldn't things function the same regardless of the browser being used?
That is for a website's to decide (browser sniffing is a thing), uBO has no say in this. As said above, use the logger to find out what uBO has to deal with, and how it deals with it.
That is disappointing. Just throw up your arms and say you are not going to even try and address this disparity. What are you going to do if future changes in Firefox lead uBO to cause the same tab closing actions as with Chrome and Opera?
Ray

gorhill

Post by gorhill »

WildcatRay wrote:That is disappointing. Just throw up your arms and say you are not going to even try and address this disparity. What are you going to do if future changes in Firefox lead uBO to cause the same tab closing actions as with Chrome and Opera?
What is disappointing is that you keep avoiding to do what you should be doing: use the logger to confirm that with one browser, a new tab is opened with a URL to "adfarm.mediaplex.com", while with another browser there is no such visit to "adfarm.mediaplex.com". Once you confirm this, you have the answer: the site behaves differently according to which browser you use. Blaming whatever blocker for a website's browser-sniffing behavior is just silly. If the popup filter in EasyList bothers you, just create an exception filter for your personal filter:

Code: Select all

@@||adfarm.mediaplex.com^$popup,domain=gmail.com
might work, I can't test your specific case.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

It does not work.

Why don't you have me forward you a message so that you can test it for yourself? You know what you want to look for better than i do.
Ray

gorhill

Post by gorhill »

WildcatRay wrote:It does not work.
I don't use Gmail, so I might be wrong about "gmail.com". Put in there whatever the domain name of Gmail is.
WildcatRay wrote:Why don't you have me forward you a message so that you can test it for yourself? You know what you want to look for better than i do.
If you right-click and click "Copy link address" for the link, can you paste it here? Is it the same for both browsers?

Note that there is a known limitation with Chrome API regarding "trusted" clicks (see issue #44), but there is an attempt by uBO to try to workaround this. I suppose it might not work in some circumstances though -- you may be hitting one of them (for example, clicked link is different than popup link, or tab is opened by js code on the page, etc.).
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

The link is here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14719432 under "one".

The domain is google.com and it does work now.
Ray

gorhill

Post by gorhill »

WildcatRay wrote:The link is here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14719432 under "one".

The domain is google.com and it does work now.
Ok.

Originally I didn't click the link "one" in your post as I thought to reproduce the case the link needed to be clicked from Google mail itself.

If I click the link as you posted it from mozillazine, a new tab opens and is immediately closed by uBO, because of the EasyList filter "@@||adfarm.mediaplex.com^$third-party,popup" (as shown by the logger). This happens with both Chrome 56 or Nightly.

If I add the filter "@@||adfarm.mediaplex.com^$popup,domain=mozillazine.org" to "My filters", then this cancels the EasyList filter above, and the tab no longer automatically close. Strict blocking however kicks in, because of "adfarm.mediaplex.com" in Peter Lowe's. If I click "Temporarily", there is another redirection, strict-blocked again because of "mediaplex.com" in Peter Lowe's. if I again click "Temporarily", I finally ends up on the page at "deal.dell.com".

So, all is working as expected, and exactly the same way whether on Chrome or Firefox.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

@gorhill,

Thanks.

I did the link under "one" because the number of characters making up the link was so great, it would figuratively blow things up here on the forum.

The ultimate culprit is Dell's choice to go through adfarm.mediaplex.com instead of going directly to dell.com. Other sites like Best Buy have the links in their ad emails open directly in their sites, thus things work fine.
Ray