[Support] - FEBE (et al.) alternate support thread

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Shadoefax

Re: [Support] - FEBE (et al.) alternate support thread

Post by Shadoefax »

Actually, I wonder how your Fx is running at all with 100+ tabs open. In the newer versions, tabs are run as a separate process and with that many processes running all at once I'm surprised you don't have serious response issues.

Anyway, I'm sure you learned by now that bookmarking your important tabs is a good way to recover if this happens again. Just right-click on any open tab header and click "Bookmark All Tabs...".
All my signatures are stolen from other people. Including this one.
Homepage
gibson58

Post by gibson58 »

Great add-on and i use it from long time,but now is impossible to create backup :( .Can't access to forums either ...
the problem is
Script: chrome://febe/content/febe.js:8717
I reinstall addon and now when start "perform backup now" stay to 0% orstop on 97,5% .
Shadoefax

Post by Shadoefax »

Are you getting any FEBE related errors in the error console (Tools > Web Developer > Browser Console)?

Also try running "Clear FEBE preferences", "Verify extension directory" and "Check AddonManager functionality" in FEBE Options > Advanced. (You will need to re-enter your FEBE backup destination directory and other backup options after clearing.)

If you are still experiencing problems, try this: Open and clear the Error console. Leave it open and perform a backup. After a few seconds (when the progress meter starts moving again) examine the error console for any FEBE related error messages (type febe in the "Search:" box). Copy/paste them here.
Homepage
yvrwqqgfq

Post by yvrwqqgfq »

History restore is not working. removeAllPages was deprecated ( https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1124185 ) and attempting history restore always throws an error.
Shadoefax

Post by Shadoefax »

Hmm ... I replaced the calls to removeAllPages() with PlacesUtils.history.clear (and now history does clear), but restoring history does not write anything (nor shows any errors). Still working on it.
Homepage
iammike

Post by iammike »

Just got the update to FEBE,

but the add-on is getting disabled as it says Not compatabile with firefox 49.0.2

Reversed back to the old version

Ps: Can't access the support forum site in the US (Posting this from Thailand)
Shadoefax

Post by Shadoefax »

I've notified AMO and am awaiting a response. It should be resolved soon.
Homepage
Daledoc1

Post by Daledoc1 »

Hi:

Yep, I made the same shocking discovery when booting up my main production box today.
Shadoefax wrote:I've notified AMO and am awaiting a response. It should be resolved soon.
Much obliged!

Thanks!

daledoc1 (I think I will sit tight with 8.9.3 for now, rather than rolling back to previous version.)
Updated specs: Longtime TB user. Currently on Win10 desktop (about to die), Win7 desktop (temporarily resuscitated), backup Win7 laptop (decommissioning soon), and -- soon -- Win11 PRO x64 desktop.
Shadoefax

FEBE v8.9.3 not compatable with Fx 49

Post by Shadoefax »

I've published the FEBE fix for browser history restore to AMO (FEBE v8.9.3), but there seems to be a problem with compatibility. Firefox is claiming that the new version is not compatible with v49.0.1 and v49.0.2. Actually it is, but Firefox is somehow incorrectly flagging it as not. I am trying to work with Mozilla to correct this problem but they are not being very responsive.

In the meantime, please revert back to FEBE v8.9.2 until the problem is resolved. Unfortunately, the older version will not restore browser history but everything else should work as expected. You can turn off the automatic FEBE update check by going to Tools > Add-ons Manager > FEBE > More and set Automatic Updates to off (near the bottom of the screen). This can be turned back on when the compatibility issue is fixed.
Homepage
Daledoc1

Post by Daledoc1 »

Hi, Chuck:

Thanks for the status update.
With any luck, the folks at Mozilla will come to their senses...

I only updated to 8.9.3 on one of my 3 boxes (naturally, it's my main production box).
So, the question about rolling back to 8.9.2: can I install 8.9.2 on top of 8.9.3, or (as I suspect) do I need to first uninstall 8.9.3 and then install and configure 8.9.2?

(As far as the loss of restoring browser history, that does not matter to me. I use private browsing and clear my stuff each session anyway. So I hope that feature (or loss there of) doesn't end up being a deal breaker...)

Thanks again!

daledoc1
Updated specs: Longtime TB user. Currently on Win10 desktop (about to die), Win7 desktop (temporarily resuscitated), backup Win7 laptop (decommissioning soon), and -- soon -- Win11 PRO x64 desktop.
iammike

Post by iammike »

Thanks Chuck for the Update.
Daledoc1 wrote:<snip>
So, the question about rolling back to 8.9.2: can I install 8.9.2 on top of 8.9.3, or (as I suspect) do I need to first uninstall 8.9.3 and then install and configure 8.9.2?

<snip>
What I did, after FF upgraded Febe to 8.9.3 I just reinstalled 8.9.2 on Top of 8.9.3. I didn't have to configure anything and it worked normally. The only thing I did (what Chuck also wrote) was turn off Automatic Update of the Febe extension.
Shadoefax

Post by Shadoefax »

FEBE v8.9.3.1 is now available from AMO and solves the incompatibility problem.
Homepage
Daledoc1

Post by Daledoc1 »

Hi, Chuck:

So far, so good on the 1 box I just updated.
I just sent a donation your way.

Thanks for your time and trouble maintaining this "must-have" extension!

Cheers,
daledoc1
anon42

Post by anon42 »

I see the posts above about compatibility issues with FEBE on AMO. But I don't see anything in this thread (maybe I missed it) nor in the version info for 8.9.3 and 8.9.3.1 indicating whether the min FF version was set to, say, FF49 and above. I'm curious whether the 8.x's are (or will be if AMO is fixed) intended to be compatible with FF48[.0.2]. If it is for FF49 and above that's fine. I just don't want to keep checking AMO to see if this is only an AMO problem.
Shadoefax

Post by Shadoefax »

I still believe it is an AMO problem, but I've changed the minVersion on my end from '49.*' (which is apparently invalid even though it validates correctly) to '49.0'. Now that I know, future updates will install correctly.

There was a deprecation in Fx v48 XPCOM that made the update necessary. FEBE v8.9.3x will not work correctly in any pre-v49 Fx versions.
Last edited by Shadoefax on November 15th, 2016, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homepage