Program List appears when opening Firefox - why?

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
miniandrew

Re: Program List appears when opening Firefox - why?

Post by miniandrew »

therube,

I just ran URL ProtocolView and went into the line of firefox and this is what it says:

FirefoxURL Enabled Executable Firefox URL "E:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -osint -url "%1" Firefox Mozilla Corporation 06/11/2013 12:02:59

In File TypesMan:

html says: .html FirefoxHTML Firefox HTML Document text/html text 0x00000002 0x00000000 E:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe,1 20/11/2014 12:08:11 Standard {42042206-2D85-11D3-8CFF-005004838597} Firefox 49.0.2 Firefox Mozilla Corporation

In the section which splits the screen under that it has 3 entries: The first and third have a little box before the entry with 3 dots in the blue strip along the top like a tv screen and the second one shows a round blue firefox world globe before the entry this is the first:

Edit &Edit No No 12/10/2016 08:23:02 "E:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\msohtmed.exe" %1 E:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\msohtmed.exe No HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxHTML\Shell\Edit\Command No 2007 Microsoft Office system 12.0.6500.5000 2007 Microsoft Office component Microsoft Corporation

This is the second:

open open Yes No 21/10/2016 09:12:58 "E:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -osint -url "%1" E:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe No HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxHTML\Shell\open\Command No Firefox 49.0.2 Firefox Mozilla Corporation

and this is the third:

Print &Print No No 12/10/2016 08:23:03 "E:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\msohtmed.exe" /p %1 E:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\msohtmed.exe No HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxHTML\Shell\Print\Command No 2007 Microsoft Office system 12.0.6500.5000 2007 Microsoft Office component Microsoft Corporation

Please remember that going into this kind of stuff is way way outside of my techi comfort zone and I haven't the techi knowledge.

I'll do my best, but please bear with me.

Thanks.
therube

Post by therube »

That all sounds good to me.
I was expecting something unexpected.

See what RegScanner shows.
Search for 'firefox.exe', search in the keys: HKLM, HKCU, & HKCR.

The 'Data' column of the results would (most likely) be of interest.
If it's just the "normal", firefox.exe -url %1, kind of thing, that is fine.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i miss the new or refreshed profile as i suggested
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14719402

those hints are good for reason - why dont you do as suggested?
that would help us the quickest way instead now pointless digging dirt in the registry

jeez
therube

Post by therube »

But the same issue with IE.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

same with ie? where to read that i missed? i read only "cannot display" and IE behaves different.
i think the OS is messed up and compromised somehow - dropkick and make a fresh start with windows 7.
good luck.
miniandrew

Post by miniandrew »

Hi folks, I am sorry if I don't carry out all of the suggestions, but some of these places I link up to you have kindly provided me with above are way outside of my comfort zone so please bear with me.

Using your help, I have been able to read some of these pages and figure some of it out as to what may be missing. For example, in the Target line of the icon properties in firefox there is a '-p' at the end when asked to 'run' from the start menu. So I removed the second quote mark " and stuck a '-p' at the end of the line and that now takes me to Google home page, but, I did this after creating a new profile too (with your help).

Trouble is, I don't know what I'm doing so I have to tread extremely carefully because putting it back to the way it was if it all goes belly-up is not something I trust myself with.

So, what I have now when I click to get onto the internet is the option to choose the profile and when I do that I get straight into Google and there is no sign of the program files I got before so a result there all be it a little of a long way around.

As for IE, that takes me to Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage and a diagnostics button. I don't use IE these days much if at all, so I'm not fussed by that right now although I'll go through the process of examining the icon etc as before for firefox.

In the target Line: "E:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" "
In the Start in line: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

So nearly there, not quite but nearly.

As for Windows 7 suggestion - I agree, and thank you for the advice, but my difficulty at this precise moment in time is that I have a vast amount of emails sitting in an old version of Outlook Express on this machine which I want to leave in exactly the format is was when I stopped using it when I moved and changed all my email addresses and switched to Gmail and Hotmail accounts. That's because I am in the middle of a very important research project which requires these emails to be referred to and short of printing out some 2500 emails and my lack of knowledge with regards to saving and restoring them to the same familiar format I was using at the time, I would rather touch nothing. I once sent some emails to a file/folder to save and whilst they are still there, I can't find a friggin thing because all I see are a few hundred 'envelopes'. I need the OE format of sender, date, subject etc in the email format it is so it has to remain in XP for all it's disadvantages until my work is done. I hope that explains somewhat?

Anyway, you guys have pointed me to some very helpful sites so thank you all for that.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Using your help, I have been able to read some of these pages and figure some of it out as to what may be missing. For example, in the Target line of the icon properties in firefox there is a -p at the end when asked to 'run' from the start menu. So I removed the second quote mark " and stuck a '-p' at the end of the line and that now takes me to Google home page, but, I did this after creating a new profile too (with your help).
That bold line above... and the red 'P'... the reason that you see that -p in there is that at one time you must have typed that into your run command... in fact, it would be the last then you did with the run-command... and that -p tells Firefox to start up the profile manager... and that is what it is doing. When it does start that up...how many profiles are listed?

Also... and in that run command... if you were to hight-light that -p and deleted... leaving the basic Firefox info ... and then Entered... does Firefox start up normally?... it should...

Anyway, I re-read your posts and not sure where stuff stands now... did you remove the problem Firefox shortcut and create a new one? or ??? As for the IE issue... that a diff. story.

One last thought... have you rebooted your PC into safe-mode with Network active ... and then tried out some of this stuff? ... I know from past reading and posts... AVG is not known to be nice at times.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

miniandrew,
As you stated that...
I have tried in IE and that doesn't work as it should opening the browser so there is a problem there too.
Moving to the Tech. forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)