Firefox Process Will Not End — Windows 10 Edition

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
lalomartins

Firefox Process Will Not End — Windows 10 Edition

Post by lalomartins »

When I quit Firefox, the process stays running forever; I have to open the task manager and kill it. (I wait until CPU usage is down to 0 so I know it's actually done, so it doesn't think it crashed.) Running Windows 10. I think this started more or less when the Anniversary Update landed.

To prevent wasted time from either party, here are some things I already tried:

- disabled all extensions one by one
- fresh profile
- fresh install of Developer Edition
- wiped all traces of Firefox from my system, and still got this on a fresh install
- 32 and 64 bit, latest release, oldest release I was able to download, Developer Edition
- switched antivirus
- turned antivirus off entirely
- Windows' own safe mode

A bit off-topic, but I also tried changing to a different browser :-) turns out I'd rather live with killing Firefox by hand two or three times a day than losing the convenience I achieved with my setup. Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, nothing came close (and Edge isn't even an option until it has a broader range of extensions).

I can live with this if I have to — but if there's anything to do to help debug it and prevent the issue for other people, or at least help them solve it, that would be worth the effort. Ideas?
Last edited by lalomartins on November 13th, 2016, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brummelchen

Re: Firefox Process Will Not End. Part 2.

Post by Brummelchen »

it seems that the last w10 patchday made firefox struggle, you are not the first one.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

lalomartins

As Brummelchen pointed out... this seems to be a W10 issue... along with all the other W10 issues out there... searching an MS related support site might be better in finding a fix...

But it would be interesting to see if the Portable version of Firefox acts the same way...

Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Yep.
You might find an answer here...
> http://www.tenforums.com/
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
John Liebson

Re: Firefox Process Will Not End — Windows 10 Edition

Post by John Liebson »

Firefox 49.0.2, Windows 10 Home, Version 1607, Build 14393, 447 (meaning that it is up-to-date as of the November 2016 cumulative update: Start Task Manager, then click on the upper-right corner `X' in Fx, and return to the open copy of the Windows Task Manger, where Firefox no longer shows.

Put another way, on my computer, Fx closes nearly instantaneously under Windows 10; test was conducted with only a few tabs open, which might have an effect on the amount of time required for Fx to shut down. The last Windows patch appears to have had no deleterious effect for me. (Well, more accurately, although not related to shutdown time, while the update installed with no problem whatsoever on my computer, while it did eventually install correctly on my wife's machine, it took a few tries, which I won't go into here.)
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Doesn't help any more to ditch the parentlock file?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
therube

Post by therube »

You and Noisy seem to have some strange issues.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs#Hang_at_exit
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

therube wrote:You and Noisy seem to have some strange issues.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs#Hang_at_exit
I don't think his problem is weird. I and people I know have had the hanging issue on and off for years, through many iterations of FF and several OS's.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network