MozillaZine

[Ext] XML Search Engines Exporter/Importer (+ Fx57 tools)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
nohamelin

Post Posted August 21st, 2016, 3:35 pm

XML Search Engines Exporter/Importer (XSEEI) in: AMO | GitHub | Crowdin (translations)

Compatibility: Firefox 45-56
License: Mozilla Public License (MPL) 2.0

It lets you to import and export search engines from local XML files in the OpenSearch format.

Note it's a legacy add-on, with a WebExtensions-based build being currently not possible at all.

/NEW/ Tools for Fx57+ (and SeaMonkey, by the way): Export tool | Import tool

Thread open to general discussion and user support.
Last edited by nohamelin on November 11th, 2017, 7:26 am, edited 8 times in total.

Foxinabox

Post Posted August 22nd, 2016, 1:16 am

This looks like a great idea.

You might find it beneficial to put it on GitHub so there is an organized place for people to submit issues and review the code.

nohamelin

Post Posted August 22nd, 2016, 9:04 am

The GitHub repository is up:
https://github.com/nohamelin/xseei

streetwolf

Post Posted November 16th, 2016, 6:55 pm

Any plans to handle search.json.mozlz4 ?
Intel Core i7-8700K CPU @ 5GHz | Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 | Corsair 1000W PSU | Corsair H115i v2 CPU Cooler | Corsair 64GB RAM | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING 11GB | DUAL ASUS PA249Q IPS 24" LCDs | 2-512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 | 2TB Seagate | Windows 10 Pro x64 | FIOS 1Gb Internet

nohamelin

Post Posted November 16th, 2016, 8:00 pm

streetwolf wrote:Any plans to handle search.json.mozlz4 ?

in what sense? Maybe offering an editor for the contents of that file, as other tools lets it? I have nothing planned as that, as I feel that it is, though directly related, a bit out of scope too.

nohamelin

Post Posted February 17th, 2017, 3:15 pm

I commented some things in the tracker about the feasibility to port this extension to the WebExtensions model. With the current APIs it's not possible.

nohamelin

Post Posted October 18th, 2017, 6:26 pm

Firefox 57 will hit the release channel in less than a month, and there isn't any visible upstream development about WebExtensions APIs to interact with the installed user search engines. Given that it recently has been confirmed that the next ESR release (59.0) will not let to run legacy add-ons either, I don't have more reasons to keep working in the add-on.

The extension still works with current Nightly and DeveloperEdition builds (if the option to run legacy add-ons is forced), and I think it will be so for a while it's not. I probably will do a last release with some very minor changes accumulated since the previous release. I will not do any port for still-XUL-based Fx-derived projects as Waterfox or Pale Moon, as I don't see myself using these browsers for my own personal consumption.

If in the future Mozilla manages to make available a WE API to support any of the two main functions of the add-on (export or import) in a satisfactory way, I will write a WE-based update for the add-on. Though, maybe by then legacy add-ons already were pushed out from AMO...

There is also the fact that with only-WE-supporting Fx builds there will not be easy way to take your engines (a part of your own personal local browsing data) to another browser, for example (well, downloading a older Fx build and running it with a new profile, this add-on, and a copy of your search.json.mozlz4 file from your other profile will work, at least while Moz doesn't change the internal format of that file). I'm thinking to make available a script with the minimal code to execute the "Export All Search Engines to a Zip file" feature, to be run via the JavaScript Scratchpad, compatible with Firefox 59 ESR, at least (EDIT: and whatever the next ESR-based SeaMonkey release will be).
Last edited by nohamelin on November 9th, 2017, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nohamelin

Post Posted October 21st, 2017, 11:27 am

nohamelin wrote:There is also the fact that with only-WE-supporting Fx builds there will not be easy way to take your engines (a part of your own personal local browsing data) to another browser [...]

I'm thinking to make available a script with the minimal code to execute the "Export All Search Engines to a Zip file" feature, to be run via the JavaScript Scratchpad, compatible with Firefox 59 ESR, at least.

OK, I have a first implementation for this:
https://gist.github.com/nohamelin/6af89 ... 9c396c9521

Further comments and instructions in the file itself.

I think I will do a single-script version for the "Import from file(s)" feature too. With both of them I can provide a minimally capable alternative for those people who still want to keep strict control over his engines. EDIT: It's up:
https://gist.github.com/nohamelin/8e2e1 ... 981487c6ec

Return to Extension/Theme Releases