Confusion about correct setup file to d/l v50

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Daledoc1

Confusion about correct setup file to d/l v50

Post by Daledoc1 »

Hi:

I want to be sure I select the correct version for my Win7 and Win10 systems.
(I always run the full, standalone installer of the 32-bit Fx.)

There used to be only 2 columns/options, 32-bit and 64-bit.
Now there is a 3rd option to support the extinct versions of Windows (XP/Vista), which I understand will eventually be deprecated.

The headings are run together, so it's not clear which is the correct 32-bit version to download for Win7 and Win 10?
Is it COLUMN 1?
Or is it COLUMN 2?

Not sure if this will make the trip, but here's a screen shot:
http://imgur.com/a/B5cot

Thanks in advance!

daledoc1
Updated specs: Longtime TB user. Currently on Win10 desktop (about to die), Win7 desktop (temporarily resuscitated), backup Win7 laptop (decommissioning soon), and -- soon -- Win11 PRO x64 desktop.
LIMPET235

Re: Confusion about correct setup file to d/l v50

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Well, when I go to that D/L page, I see just 2 columns for Windows...eg; Windows, Windows 64 bit, 1 for OS X, 1 for Linux & 1 for Linux 64 bit.
I do not see the "Windows(XP/Vista)Windows."
The 1st one is usually, always the 32 bit version & the 2nd one for the 64 bit version.

Don't know why there's the distinction on your page.

Must be related to the locale?

ps. If you use a D/L manager, then when you select the version required, it should show you the version.
It does so in the Free Download Manager.
Savvy?
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Daledoc1

Post by Daledoc1 »

Hi:

Thanks for quick reply!

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

So it must be locale-specific.
I do not use a download manager.
I just manually download & then save the file to my downloads folder, as I have done for a million years.
All 3 setup files are "Firefox Setup 50.0.exe" so there's no way to know which is which, by file name alone.

And I agree, the 1st column was always 32-bit and the 2nd column was always 64-bit.
64-bit is now the 3rd colum, so we can forget that for now.

But I cannot determine from the jumbled headings shown in my screen shot whether I need to get the 32-bit installer from COLUMN 1 or from COLUMN 2. :(

Question 1: Perhaps someone in the U.S. who sees what I see can clarify that, please. Do I get 32-bit Fx for 7/8/10 from Column 1 or Column 2?

Question 2 (see below**): Is there any way to know if I installed the correct 32-bit version on my other 2 boxes (Win7/Win10)?

Question 3: What negative effects would result from installing the "XP/Vista" version by mistake on a 7/8/8.1/10 system?

Thanks again,
daledoc1

{**To further muddy it a bit. I am on my "backup" Win7 desktop today and only just now noticed the change. I updated my main Win10 desktop and my Win7 laptop yesterday. Either I was not paying attention at the time, or Mozilla has just added that 3rd option, because I do not recall seeing 3 offerings at that time. Fx 50 runs properly on both of those other boxes, but I have no idea if there is a difference between the setup file offered in column 1 and column 2, OR if -- perhaps -- it does not matter YET, because they are shipping the same version for everyone for now, until Fx 53???}
Updated specs: Longtime TB user. Currently on Win10 desktop (about to die), Win7 desktop (temporarily resuscitated), backup Win7 laptop (decommissioning soon), and -- soon -- Win11 PRO x64 desktop.
wyterabitt

Post by wyterabitt »

Daledoc1 wrote:Hi:

But I cannot determine from the jumbled headings shown in my screen shot whether I need to get the 32-bit installer from COLUMN 1 or from COLUMN 2. :(

Question 1: Perhaps someone in the U.S. who sees what I see can clarify that, please. Do I get 32-bit Fx for 7/8/10 from Column 1 or Column 2?
Someone might be able to help with the other issues, but this is the correct download for English US 32 bit until someone can help clarify

https://download.mozilla.org/?product=f ... lang=en-US
Daledoc1

Post by Daledoc1 »

UPDATE:
Mystery solved, but no thanks the folks at Mozilla who jumbled those column headings....

When I mouse over the download links on the page, I can see that:

COLUMN 1: XP/Vista (sha1)
COLUMN 2: "Everyone else"
COLUMN 3: 64-bit

I just needed a bit more caffeine. So that part is solved. :) :)

My last 2 questions remain:

1) How do I know if installed the correct 32-bit version on my other 2 boxes yesterday?

2) If installed the wrong one, do I need to:
-- backup my profile and install the correct version on top of the existing v50 build?
-- backup my profile, uninstall Fx and reinstall the correct version?
-- do nothing, if it's working properly?
-- do something else?

Thanks,
daledoc1
Daledoc1

Post by Daledoc1 »

wyterabitt wrote: Someone might be able to help with the other issues, but this is the correct download for English US 32 bit until someone can help clarify
https://download.mozilla.org/?product=f ... lang=en-US
Thanks!
Yes, we were likely posting at the same time...

Now I just need to figure out IF I screwed up installing v50 on my other 2 boxes, and IF I DID, whether/how to rectify it....

Thanks again,
daledoc1
wyterabitt

Post by wyterabitt »

Daledoc1 wrote: Now I just need to figure out IF I screwed up installing v50 on my other 2 boxes, and IF I DID, whether/how to rectify it....

Thanks again,
daledoc1
if you type "about:" without quotes into the address bar you will see the build info, hopefull just confirming with one you know is correct should work (I have no idea what the build difference will be in the XP version I didnt know it existed)
Daledoc1

Post by Daledoc1 »

Right.
I know that they both have 50.
I don't know if I will be able to determine that way whether it's the correct version of Fx 50 for their versions of Windows.

I did not know about the 3rd option, either, until just now.
Either I entirely missed it when I upgraded the other 2 boxes a day or so ago, or that 3rd option was not there at the time.

I understand that this is largely a security issue.
I presume that 7/8/8.1/10 will probably run the XP/Vista version OK, but that would not be good from a security standpoint (and perhaps add-on compatibility???).

I will try to determine WHICH version the other 2 systems have when I boot them up later.

Until then, again, I would appreciate advice and clarification about how to proceed to get them updated to the CORRECT version if I inadvertently installed the wrong version.

Thanks again,

daledoc1
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

I agree that "they" could've spaced the text out a tad....just to make things clearer.

As for you Q? re; which version.
Backup your Profile, uninstall whatever version you have & grab the correct one.

I don't know if the "32 bit versions advertized" are any different.
Maybe someone who watches this stuff can help.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Daledoc1

Post by Daledoc1 »

Hi:

According to @the-edmeister, who kindly responded to my inquiry at the mozilla forum, I would have gotten the correct version of Firefox from either link, on a 7/8/8.1/10 system.
So, even if I clicked the wrong link I would have gotten the correct installer.
Same version of Firefox is delivered from both hyperlinks if you are using Win7 or higher (or Vista with the SHA2 compatibility update from Microsoft).
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1147500

I have checked on my Win10 desktop and, indeed, it is Fx 50.0.
(I will check on the Win7 laptop a bit later.)

So I think this is solved and I won't bother to reinstall at this time.
I *will* be more careful when I next visit the downloads page.

Thanks to all for the help.
I appreciate it,

daledoc1
James

Post by James »

I only get the same five columns as always since Win64 was first listed as of Firefox 43.0 (Fx 42.0 was first to have Win64) "Windows - Windows 64-bit - OS X - Linux - Linux 64-bit" on http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/. I even changed my useragent to appear as Firefox 47.0 and 50.0 on WinXP and Vista and it still gives me the five normal columns with no separate 32-bit column mentioned for Vista/WinXP

There is no need for separate Firefox 43.0.1 setups for WinXP/Vista users to update to current anymore starting Firefox 49.0 and later.

The Firefox 48.0 system requirements page page did link to the now old article
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ge ... s-xp-vista explaining why WinXP/Vista users got served 43.0.1 before since 43.0.1 is not needed anymore as was case between 43.0.2 and 48.0.2 Releases due ti the signing then.

Firefox 49.0 and 50.0 system requirements no longer links to the article.
https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/49.0/sy ... uirements/
https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/50.0/sy ... uirements/
Daledoc1

Post by Daledoc1 »

Hi:

Someone at Mozilla HQ is messing with our minds this weekend**.

@Limpet235 and I logically assumed earlier today that the difference might be geo-specific.

However, when I check the US d/l page now, it's back to the "usual" 5 columns.
The "extra" column for the "XP/Vista" flavor is gone now.

Compare the screen cap in my original post with this one - the pictures do not lie: :lol:
http://imgur.com/a/XtcWa

They are toying with us, or they have tippled too much holiday eggnog.

daledoc1

**See my other thread about an issue with the TB downloads page that *mysteriously* resolved after I reported it. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3025416
therube

Post by therube »

will be able to determine that way whether it's the correct version of Fx 50
AFAIK, there shouldn't be any difference between versions - except for the installer itself.
So, so long as you downloaded the for the correct locale, so long as you downloaded for the wanted bit-ness, so long as it installs, you should be good to go.

Got to say, that is one very poorly laid out web page.
No, its worse then that, its atrocious.
the pictures do not lie
Ah, but someone is not telling all that is to be told.
When you took the first shot, you were blocking JavaScript.

Your second shot has JavaScript enabled.

(Try it now, & see.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript