Sync on 2 puters [resolved]

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
lovemyfoxy

Sync on 2 puters [resolved]

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I always make changes to my profile on Primary Puter #1, then use sync to copy them to Puter #2. How do I know Sync won't copy profile #2 to profile#1 ?
Last edited by lovemyfoxy on November 26th, 2016, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
the-edmeister

Re: Sync on 2 puters

Post by the-edmeister »

All devices get synchronized with each other with the Sync server sitting in the middle; data is not synchronized directly between the individual devices. Whatever data is on computer #1 that is sent to the Sync server will become synchronized to computer #2 when that computer & Firefox is run. Each device will contact the Sync server shortly after Firefox is launched in that device; differences are "noted" by the time stamp and 'missing' will then be sent to that device. And any data on #2 that differs from what is on the Sync server will be sent to the server for synchronization to #1the next time Firefox is launched on that computer. The only way to have unique information on a particular computer is un-check / disable that category of datum from getting synchronized.

You also mentioned Profiles - Sync works at the Profile level. You can have multiple Profiles on a computer and you can Sync between those Profiles or not. You can also run multiple separate Sync accounts on a computer with separate Profiles, the data between each Sync account will remain separate from any other Sync account.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Thanks. I opened puter #2, and they appear to be synched properly, but the Sync tab is in neither Customize box. How do I get them back?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Sync tab ??

The Synced Tabs button should be in the Menu Panel (the Menu that opens from the "hamburger" icon), that's where I found it when Firefox updated a few version ago and Synced Tabs was added to Sync. The old manual Sync Now button was removed was removed at the same time. And iirc that's also when the Firefox Account email address started appearing at the bottom of the Menu Panel, just above the Customize button.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Oops, got it. I've hardly ever accessed it.